MAME Frontend Addon
Whenever I try to open a rom with this, I get "Cannot open controller file Standard.cfg."

I've tried reinstalling Mame and rescans, etc...

Does this addon have it's own thread somewhere that I can't find?
GrapeApe Wrote:it's working perfectly for me except one small hiccup: i have a tv and a monitor plugged into my pc, and whenever i try to run a rom it opens mame in the monitor instead of the tv where xbmc is running. has anyone else run into this problem?

Yes, I did and i fixed it in a very ugly way:

Basically, what you need to do is to specify a screen to use for MAME.
To find out which screens are available try running MAME from command line with the verbose option.
Code:
mame -verbose
Then close MAME and look at the infos given in the terminal. In my case the first lines were:
Code:
Parsing mame.ini
Parsing mame.ini
Video: Monitor 0000000000020001 = "\\.\DISPLAY3"
Video: Monitor 0000000000020076 = "\\.\DISPLAY4" (primary)
Direct3D: Using Direct3D 9
This lets me know my two displays are named \\.\DISPLAY3 and \\.\DISPLAY4 for some reason.
Now you can either edit your mame.ini and change
Code:
screen0 auto
to
Code:
screen0 \\.\DISPLAY4
(or whatever your desired screen is called), or you specify the -screen option every time you start mame.
Code:
mame -screen0 \\.\DISPLAY4
Now the thing is, for some reason the setting in the ini file is not used when starting MAME from XBMC.
Therefore I hardcoded the argument into the source.
Code:
"XBMC\addons\plugin.games.xbmame\resources\lib\XBMame.py"
Lines 410 - 416:
            command = self._MAME_EXE_PATH
            for key in self._MAME_PARAMS.keys():
                command += " %s %s " % (key, self._MAME_PARAMS[key])
            [b]command+="-screen0 \\\\.\DISPLAY4 "[/b]
            command+=game.romset
            command = "System.Exec(\"%s\")" % command.replace("\"", "\\\"")
            xbmc.executebuiltin(command)
I'm sorry I don't have the time to do this but maybe spiff or someone could add a real option to the menu.
Still I hope I could help.
I've managed to get past all the problems listed above, but I still have one problem. This may be more related to MAME than anything else.

I can launch a ROM from the MAME itself and configure the controls for a specific game. But when I launch it from the MAME plugin, it reverts back to the default controls.

What am I missing? I tried rebuilding the database in the plugin already.

Thanks in advance.

Will
I have to look at home, i think the addon saves it's own .ini for mame settings, because I setup mameplus manually, added it to the addon and it didn't use that config...

Yup, it's here:

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata\addon_data\plugin.games.xbmame\cfg

There's a cft for each game and another one for default.cfg =)

And if you want to add filters to the image like 2xsai, hq3x and so, add the line in bold exactly as it is and change hq3xs for the effect you want:

Quote: for key in self._MAME_PARAMS.keys():
command += " %s %s " % (key, self._MAME_PARAMS[key])
command+="-scale_effect hq3xs "
command+=game.romset
command = "System.Exec(\"%s\")" % command.replace("\"", "\\\"")
daviduco Wrote:I have to look at home, i think the addon saves it's own .ini for mame settings, because I setup mameplus manually, added it to the addon and it didn't use that config...

Yup, it's here:

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata\addon_data\plugin.games.xbmame\cfg

There's a cft for each game and another one for default.cfg =)

And if you want to add filters to the image like 2xsai, hq3x and so, add the line in bold exactly as it is and change hq3xs for the effect you want:

I understand where XBMC keeps the CFG files for MAME now. But everytime I launch MAME from XBMC, the CFG file goes back to default settings. I can use the TAB button to edit player controls after launching from XBMC, but when I leave and go back, the controls CFG are blank (default) again.

I did a right click on the CFG files and made them "read only", but then get an error and the game won't launch. For some reason it wants to start from scratch everytime. Any thoughts? thanks again
I'm still struggling with this. Anybody have this issue?
Hi all, first can I saw how awesome XBMC is. I've been using it for years, but the latest version is great, and I finally took the plunge and bought an Acer Aspire Revo 3700 to dedicate to XBMC.

Anyway, having installed Dharma I noticed the MAME frontend add-on and thought I'd give it a go. I dug out an old version of MAME that I had lying around (and the romsets to match it). I think it's around about 0.96 (so well out of date). Also, the mame.exe is actually a mame32.exe file. Does this make a difference?

I believe I've set everything correctly, however, once the database has been built, whenever I select a rom to play, I get an error message advising "Either you don't have this romset or your game database is outdated, would you like to rebuild the database?"

Having selected 'YES', the database is then rebuilt, and completes successfully. However, selecting the same rom again returns the same error message.

Should I bite the bullet and download the latest version of MAME or is there some setting that I need to tweak?

Thanks.
How poor is it to release an addon that is windows only, when the plugin itself is platform indepent (python) and the emulator (mame) is too?

I downloaded the plugin (on Linux) and checked out the code.
I am not a developer, but from what I can see the issues are with uppercase/lowercase filenames.

If that is really all, please fix it. That can't be too hard.
william8004 Wrote:I understand where XBMC keeps the CFG files for MAME now. But everytime I launch MAME from XBMC, the CFG file goes back to default settings. I can use the TAB button to edit player controls after launching from XBMC, but when I leave and go back, the controls CFG are blank (default) again.

I did a right click on the CFG files and made them "read only", but then get an error and the game won't launch. For some reason it wants to start from scratch everytime. Any thoughts? thanks again

Does anybody else have this problem?
Hello I have installed the mame application on ATV2. I have configures it to target the mame.exe on my windows seven pc and also the rom and sample directories.
But whenever I try to launch the application I get the following message:

Script failed: xbmame.py

Do you have any idea what should be the issue?
ToroLoco Wrote:Hello I have installed the mame application on ATV2. I have configures it to target the mame.exe on my windows seven pc and also the rom and sample directories.

I think the issue is that you're trying to launch a Windows executable on an Apple platform ??!!

The issue I have with Mame Frontend is that I installed the 10.1 file over the top of my existing install, and now I see two Mame Frontend in the Programs section ! Rolleyes
Tried deleting and reinstalling, nothing seems to work.. must be a config file somewhere in another directory?!
Quote:I think the issue is that you're trying to launch a Windows executable on an Apple platform ??!!

That's correct, but since I don't have an iMac how I can use the mame application on APTV?
ToroLoco Wrote:Hello I have installed the mame application on ATV2. I have configures it to target the mame.exe on my windows seven pc and also the rom and sample directories.

Do you have any idea what should be the issue?

I LOLed so hard at that... sorry.
HTPC: Motherboard: Asus F2A85-V, CPU: AMD A10 6800K, RAM: Kingston XMP BEAST 16GB, Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, LG CH12NS30 Blu-Ray drive, Samsung, and WD various 2 and 3TB for storage, Windows 8.1, one for all remote/FLIRC, Logitech z906 surround system.
Yes indeed I didn't think of it at the beginning. Rofl

But at the end you don't give any reply for the problem.
I'm somewhat a bit of a python dev at work and as one of these 'work on in spare time and learn more about python & XBMC' sidelines I'm having a stab at updating this to work on Linux. It's an amazing set of scripts and some real nice techniques in use on it.

I'll post once I've got a 'working' linux version. It's initially looking just down to in-consistencies bout how the file systems and the pysqlite differ between the os's.

Each time I hack it up a bit the closer I get. Big Grin

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MAME Frontend Addon0