File Structure Maker / Media Manager to XBMC preferred Filesystem Hierarchy Standard?
Question 
Hey folks, brand new to the site, I've seen tons of drool worthy screenshots of xbmc in action over on lifehacker.com and have finally decided to take the plunge and move away from microsoft's media center. I installed xbmc on my windows front end and so far I'm very pleased, but I'm still struggling to get some of the cool media scraper functions working. From what I gather the problem is that the file structure with which I have organized my media files (though it seemed logical enough to me) doesn't match the one that xbmc likes.

Currently my HD movies are split over several hard drives with the following structure.

HD Movie x/1080p/movie1.20xx.1080p.Bluray.x264-RELEASEGROUP.mkv...movie2.20xx.1080p.Bluray.x264-RELEASEGROUP.mkv...

And I never bothered to save the .nfo files either (since all of the relevant info (date, source, resolution) was right there in the filename)

From what I gather xbmc wants something like the following
HD Movie x/Movie 1/movie1.20xx.1080p.Bluray.x264-RELEASEGROUP.mkv

Where each movie has its own folder

At this point I've got way too many movies to go in manually and make a bunch of file folders and what I'm hoping is that there is some program or script (I say script with some trepidation as I have zero understanding as to how to use scripts and/or programing language whatsoever) which will do the following things:
1. Add file folders with the names of each of my movies
2. Put those movies in the correct file folders
3. Generate a .nfo file from the names of the movies for the purposes of scraping.

If I had something like this, I get the sense that I could use media manager or some other program to populate these folders with the appropriate fan art trailers, etc. But I'm loathe to go through the tedium of making and renaming a bunch of file folders.

Is there anything out there that would do this for me?
The program I use is called Meta<Browser/> It can rename files, create directories, and download the Metadata such as overviews, actor photos, and box art etc. All according to the rules you set out.

i.e. for my setup I have it to x:\Movies\Movie (Year)\Movie.xyz or X:\TV\Show\Season\Episode - Title.xyz as it also handles TV Shows as well.

It also has a "File Watcher" function where you just drop the new file into a preset folder and it will grab it and do all the moving/renaming you set it up to do. Useful if all your incoming video files are all initially stored in a specific folder prior to sorting/moving.
Ember Media Manager
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=50348

Tools | Sort Files Into Folders

start by testing around 5 movies.
As others have said Ember can do this for you either from tools or when you scan

There's no reason you cant use the file structure you've have now xbmc supports more than one movie in a single directory if its not working then its probably because you movies are at a level to low from your source folder so you need to turn on "Scan recursively"

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
File Structure Maker / Media Manager to XBMC preferred Filesystem Hierarchy Standard?0