• 97(current)
[RELEASE] XBMC Flicks - Netflix Movies / TV Shows (Video) experimental Addon for XBMC
So, using XBMC, it runs WMC then Netflix? sounds like an odd workaround. I don't suppose you can give me a step by step to set it up?
(2013-05-18, 04:27)Ixtab Wrote: Oh, it says that no new applications can be registered at this time. Does that mean that I am out of luck and its impossible to make XBMCFlicks work at all?

Don't register a new api... just use the code posted a couple pages ago. Do the developer walkthrough with those codes and it works.
I really dont get it. Step 3 of the walkthrough just gives me a 404 error. I tried some changes, and I did manage to get the XBMCFlicks to kind of load up the recommended and instant lists without giving me an error, but they were all just empty.
One thing to note is that I still havent seen the page come up to log into netflix anywhere.

I also looked up using WMC, and gave that a try, but it also gives me an error. I think it was a proxy error, and I dont see Netflix in WMC at all.
(2013-05-18, 01:47)locoguano Wrote: You have to do the developer walkthrough to get the info for you userinfo.txt
I did, and got an empty Instant Queue and Recommended windows. A few questions though:

- why the Developer Walkthrough gives application_name=Plex in the token instead of xbmcflix ? Did you register initially your developer credentials for Plex? If YES, why should it work for xbmcflix?
- should one login to Netflix from a US based IP for this to work? Anyone from Canada was able to make it work without DNS change or VPN?
(2013-05-21, 21:12)sambul25 Wrote: - why the Developer Walkthrough gives application_name=Plex in the token instead of xbmcflix ?

XBMCFLIX don't authenticate with Netflix anymore. So we use Plex's from the Netflix plugin.

(2013-05-21, 21:12)sambul25 Wrote: Did you register initially your developer credentials for Plex? If YES, why should it work for xbmcflix?
Like locoguano said...follow the developer walkthrough on Netflix's site with Plex credentials to get the info for my userinfo.txt. All netflix is looking for is valid credentials to log in and the correct 'GET' commands to pull info from their site. (currently instant queue and recommended work).

(2013-05-21, 21:12)sambul25 Wrote: - should one login to Netflix from a US based IP for this to work? Anyone from Canada was able to make it work without DNS change or VPN?
The developer walkthrough shouldn't make a difference if you are in America or Canada. The xbmcflix code is configured for American and Canadian residents but since I'm in America. I have not tested this yet.
(2013-05-21, 22:00)wifimoocher Wrote: XBMCFLIX don't authenticate with Netflix anymore. So we use Plex's from the Netflix plugin.
Thanks.

Did you put APP_NAME = 'Plex', or APP_NAME = 'netflix', or APP_NAME = 'xbmcflix' in iqueue.py?
Where to enter USER_ID received from Netflix Walkthrough?

Also, how to log out of Netflix or login to it from within XBMC or xbmcflix? Any way to check whether you're logged in or out and under what Netflix user account (if you have several)? The only way I found to logout was to uninstall xbmcflix and delete all its files and folders from XBMC userdata.
(2013-05-21, 23:02)sambul25 Wrote: Did you put APP_NAME = 'Plex', or APP_NAME = 'netflix', or APP_NAME = 'xbmcflix' in iqueue.py?
Where to enter USER_ID received from Netflix Walkthrough?

Also, how to log out of Netflix or login to it from within XBMC or xbmcflix? Any way to check whether you're logged in or out and under what Netflix user account (if you have several)? The only way I found to logout was to uninstall xbmcflix and delete all its files and folders from XBMC userdata.

From page 143 of this forum. use: APP_NAME = 'netflix'

I didn't use the USER_ID for anything.

You use:
requestKey=nfeafbf2hpdnyfvr5dd32ka6
requestSecret=bBsa6TqYab

During the Netflix walkthrough to get:
accessKey= (PRODUCED BY WALKTHROUGH. REALLY LONG!)
accessSecret= (PRODUCE BY WALKTHROUGH. 12 CHARACTERS FOR ME.)
and you put those 4 items (request key/secret and access key/secret) into the userinfo.txt

During the walkthrough you would log in to your account. That is how you get your access key and access secret. If you are to use different logins you would then need to do the walkthrough with each of your accounts and save them to different userinfo.txt files that you can interchange.
I was using XBMCFlicks for quite a while before Frodo launched. Unfortunately XBMCFlicks broke shortly before, and I just gave up and spent $50 on an Xbox Live Gold account and have been using my Xbox 360 to stream Netflix. This afternoon I had some time to kill and read through the past 25 pages or so of this thread and was able to get XBMCFlicks working! Granted, only Instant Queue and Search. I even went so far as to use my new-found Python abilities to tweak the menu to skip right to the options that work. No more clicking passed the disc options. I also removed Genre, Top 25, etc as they are broken due to the ODATA change in the Netflix API. I also modified the iqueue.py to use the Plex developer credentials already.

If you follow the instructions below, you should be able to get XBMCFlicks working on Frodo with Windows 7. I’m not the original developer of this code, and am just trying to help. If Netflix continues messing with the API, this will break again and I may not have the knowledge to fix it. Good luck!

How to get XBMCFlicks working on Frodo!

1. Install the modified addon uploaded here. (Based on yabsie's recent release, modified to remove broken options)
  2. In XBMC navigate to XBMCFlicks and attempt to view the instant queue. It will take you to the Netflix webpage to associate with an account. Just close the page, do not try to authenticate here! Go back to XBMC, press OK. You will get a script error. No problem, just close XBMC.
  3. Navigate to C:\users\user_name\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata\addon_data\plugin.video.xbmcflicks\ and open userinfo.txt
  4. The file should be blank, no problem! For now paste in the following text:
    Code:
    requestKey=consumer_key
    requestSecret=consumer_secret
    accessKey=oauth_token
    accessSecret=oauth_token_secret
  5. Save the file, and keep it open for now. Just minimize it.
  6. Navigate to the API Walkthrough here: http://developer.netflix.com/walkthrough
  7. Step 1, input the following developer information (Borrowed from Plex):
    Code:
    Key: nfeafbf2hpdnyfvr5dd32ka6
    Shared Secret: bBsa6TqYab
    Click request a token to move onto the next step.
  8. Step 2, look in the block of text Step 1 just generated and copy the line of text from after “oauth_token_secret=” and before the “&”. Do not include the “&”! Press “Save OAuth Token Secret” to move on to the next step.
  9. Step 3, input the information based on the text block generated in Step 1.
    oauth_token: Copy the line of text from after “oauth_token=” and before the “&”. Do not include the “&”!
    application_name: Plex
    Leave the rest of the fields alone and press “Generate the OAuth Login Page” to be redirected to the normal API access page. Press the ‘Yes, Link This Account’ button to proceed. There will be a short loading time before returning to the walkthrough page. Please be patient!
  10. Step 4 is easy, just press “Request Access Token” to proceed.
  11. Step 5, input the oauth_token and oauth_token_secret in the same way you did in Step 2 and 3 of the API Walkthrough. This time, however, use the text block generated after Step 4.
  12. Step 6, congratulations! You just got the proper API information generated using the Plex developer keys for use with XBMCFlicks. These strings of text are unique to you, don’t share them!
  13. Now that we are done with the API Walkthrough, we pull back up the userdata.txt we minimized earlier. Copy and paste the strings of text and replace the placeholder (for example consumer_key) of the matching field in userdata.txt. No space after the “=” is needed. Save the file and close. Close your browser window with the API Walkthrough open.
  14. Open XBMC, goto Video Addons, open XBMCFlicks, click on Instant Queue, and start watching!
I took these notes as I was setup XBMCFlicks on my laptop which had a fresh Frodo install, so it should work for anyone. I would suggest deleting any old XBMCFlicks folders/addons you may already have before beginning.

Hope I could help someone, and lets hope Netflix leaves us alone for a while!

EDIT: So while Netflix does definitely work, I ran into 2 other issues. The first has been mentioned here a few times: navigation sounds looping (clicking) when choosing a video file. This was apparently added in sometime between the RC's and Final for Frodo. There's a small thread about it over here that I commented in. We should probably make some noise and try to help the devs find what is causing it. The second issue is WASAPI. Some users have suggested enabling WASAPI to "fix" the navigation looping (clicking). Unfortunately, on both of my systems when WASAPI is enabled the Netflix stream will load, but then give me a playback error (several different errors). I can hope that when the devs fix the navigation looping, that they may find a solution to the WASAPI/Netflix incompatibility, but I doubt it.

My solution provided here definitely gets Netflix working again but at least in my case I would have to disable navigation sounds and switch from WASAPI to DirectSound. Maybe you'll get lucky and your system will work fine. Let me know if anyone's got any ideas!
Xmmm... Instant Queue and Recommended work for others, and Instant Queue and Search work for you. None of the options work for me. WTF... Based on this difference, I'd suggest not to remove for now any Netflix options from XBMCFlicks. It looks like Netflix just playing the game with users based on their IP region.

The other thing to note, while the dev credentials are borrowed from Plex, Netflix doesn't work on Plex for most new users now - it just hangs indefinitely on red screen when downloading a movie. Its kind of strange, same credentials would work for XBMC, when they don't for Plex. Or, may be official Plex release uses different credentials?

Btw, anyone knows how to change credentials in a similar way in Plex Server? What files need to be edited? Sorry for offtop, just looking for ANY solution with Netflix working on a PC, as I need to stream it to a network player for playback on a TV.

Important thing to mention - all API options now work well on Netflix DVD Rental page, when accessed through XBMCFlicks. It sounds kinda strange - how they can work, if refer to the same DB? Or its a different Netflix Movie DB (ODATA) for DVD Rentals?

And the last question:
when Netflix is streamed over LAN by XBMC Server, is it re-encoded to a different type of stream compare to what comes from Netflix? I ask because the stream coming from Netflix requires MS Silverlight to decode and playback. Many network players don't have Silverlight as part of their firmware, just use DLNA Client and hardware decoding. So, can such player recognize and play correctly a Netflix movie streamed by XBMC Server, just like it plays a movie streamed from a PC HDD?
I followed all of the steps above and I get a blank queue.
I also get a blank queue. Maybe we did something wrong?
Any chance of porting this to Android? I tried to install it and was going to modify the playercorefactory to call the Netflix app, but I couldn't get the addon to install. I tried installing from ZIP and if says addon doesn't have the correct structure. Tried just unzipping, too, but it never showed up in XBMC.
I'd just like a more remote control friendly interface for Netflix.
Does anyone have this working on linux? I have the addon completely configured with oauth, logging into netflix just fine, but can't figure out how to call the "wine-browser" component of netflix-desktop with an external file.
Ok so I am still having problems with blank instant queues. Here are my log files

Log File

Any help would be great as this is the only addon I am having problems with and I would love to be able to not have to exit out of XBMC to used Netflix
You need to follow the instructions in this post completely. I had some difficulty at first too. But read the entire post, and ensure you follow it to the very end. You'll get a set of codes early, but they won't work.
  • 97(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] XBMC Flicks - Netflix Movies / TV Shows (Video) experimental Addon for XBMC16