• 2(current)
fanart.tv - Request and share ClearLOGO, ClearART and more Fan Artwork / Thumbs
Kode Wrote:I'm planning on adding some kind or voting/favourite/rating system, not sure what yet though, any suggestions are welcome, then in the api you will be able to order by favourite. I can also add a limit option so it only returns a single results for each.

http://fanart.tv/help/ has some initial details on the API but bits may change.

Let users(/visitors?) flag/favourite/star/upvote a logo when there are multiples, the results of which dictate which logo is returned first or when the limit is set to 1. A more complicated (less gameable) implementation would be to enforce that only one logo per show was flagged (radio button style), but that would require users were logged in (and the backend would have to load this info every time a page was loaded so a user could change their vote if new logos were submitted or they realize their choice doesn't work as well in practice, etc).

This is probably not super important, though, and the moderators could arbitrarily pick the favorites if that's deemed to be less work overall....

If you only went one way, though, I think a more useful feature would be downvoting or flagging for removal. This could be opened up to the userbase at large (with a few set reasons for why it was flagged as such). This could move a logo down the ranks when returned as multiples, and after reaching x number of downvotes/flags, could put it in a queue for moderated removal.

I think that could be a really simple modification, and might even be able to take a load off the moderators. If uploads don't need to be moderated and the combined userbase is allowed to pass judgement on quality, then the moderators only need to step in when something is obviously wrong. Or at the very least, they would only need to check for glaring problems.

This could also lead to much greater quality overall, because a secondary queue of flagged images (when the only logo/all logos of a show are flagged) would bring them to people's attention and more submissions of [hopefully] higher quality would come in. Rather than take on a really hard logo that no one has been able to do yet, someone wanting to contribute could take a stab at a good-but-not-great extraction that otherwise wouldn't have been brought to their attention. (This is not a dig at the current moderators--I'm sure you're only letting the very best through--but the first initial batch import was much less stringently moderated and there are some shows that appear filled but could benefit from a more perfect recreation, etc. More eyes and all that....)
mcborzu Wrote:Is the search box functional? I have been trying to find $#*! My Dad Says, tvdb- 164951...I believe I've seen screenshots with people having that logo...

Works fine for me, typing 164951 went straight to the show, typing $#*! My brought it back in the search results.

Whats happening for you?

*edit* it might be that the results get a bit lost, they should show up just under the header image
Get and request your ClearLOGOs / ClearART / TV Thumbs / Season Thumbs / Music ClearLOGOs / cdART / Artist Backgrounds / CD Covers from fanart.tv
Some good ideas there Rad_ the only issue I see is that we have found we don't even have enough people to do all the logos that get requested, getting people to make better images for shows that already have images might be even harder.

Being able to upvote and downvote would probably work well though, it would be less intensive that calculating votes, and if we have it so say -7 or something automatically drops it into a moderation queue that would help weed out some of the crap images that have slipped the net.
Get and request your ClearLOGOs / ClearART / TV Thumbs / Season Thumbs / Music ClearLOGOs / cdART / Artist Backgrounds / CD Covers from fanart.tv
sergiocos Wrote:Guys, i did many cleararts in time, but i'm not satisfied with my photoshop skillz.
If you can make a short tutorial or you can give links to the ones that can help me, i'm more than eager to help. Somehow I can't get rid of the jagged edges of cleararts. i want to obtain perfect-smooth-solid color edges. All my methods failed me, however, with effort, i had some good looking cleararts, but i wanna do better (and faster). Any help will be appreciated.

I'm hoping some people will come up with some tutorials for me that I can put on the website, though I've been asking for months with nothing to show for it yet Wink
Kode Wrote:Works fine for me, typing 164951 went straight to the show, typing $#*! My brought it back in the search results.

Whats happening for you?

*edit* it might be that the results get a bit lost, they should show up just under the header image

Oh I see whats going on, in Firefox everything work perfect in, but IE or Opera* the page just refreshes.

*small user base dont need to account for it but IE you should

Kode Wrote:I'm hoping some people will come up with some tutorials for me that I can put on the website, though I've been asking for months with nothing to show for it yet Wink

Got one cooking thats why I need the logoBig Grin

Check out The Carmichael - A Skin For XBMC

Check out Night - A Skin For XBMC

Check out Unfinished - A Skin For XBMC
Kode Wrote:Some good ideas there Rad_ the only issue I see is that we have found we don't even have enough people to do all the logos that get requested, getting people to make better images for shows that already have images might be even harder.

Yeah, contributions will always be hard to come by, but I, personally, would be more likely to try beating an old logo than making some of the more esoteric ones being requested. Maybe that makes me less helpful, but regardless, I'm sure I'm not the only one. And in situations like we had before where Sranshaft came out of nowhere to make a billion amazing logos, it would also be great if there were a B-roll of bigger logos that could use some more professional attention.

You might be right, but I'm still of the opinion that the more options people have at contributing, the more contributions you'll get overall....
lol, typical, the 2 browsers i havent tested it in it doesnt work? I tested in firefox, chrome and safari and it works in all those.

Is it a particular version of IE?

I will test and try to fix it tomorrow when I'm at work
I'm using IE8

No need to waste time on Opera, I love it, but it's user base is super small...

I agree Rad_, It would be great if people were improving the logos we have as well as making new ones, and I will do my best to help them achieve this Smile
mcborzu Wrote:I'm using IE8

No need to waste time on Opera, I love it, but it's user base is super small...

What happens if you turn compatability mode on?
Kode Wrote:What happens if you turn compatability mode on?

same result, no results...

Just looked at google analytics and the results are interesting, since the new site went live, Opera has a higher market share than IE, that will no doubt change, but currently it goes:
Firefox
Chrome
Safari
Opera
IE

Looking at stats on lockstockmods for the last 6 months it shows
Firefox 48.49%
Chrome 21.89%
IE 17.96%
Opera 5.65%
Safari 4.42%
Lol, just got the gf to look at the site in IE, it was pretty messed up, header images were offset to the right and the latest images werent showing, those are fixed now, will have to look into the search requests though
Create a logo or clearART using the pen tool, the cutout technique

1. Google image search:
-I perfer google over TVDB, cuz having a clearART be the same as fanart would be boring
-I like to first search by results larger than 640x480, options on the left, always try to get the highest quality image you can.

2. Open image in PS, or the steps are probably closely mirrored in other programs

Step 1 - Either duplicate the image or double click on the lock in the bottom right corner
Step 2 - Magnify the image, so much easier to trace all the fine curves up close
Step 3 - Select the pen tool
Step 4 - While zoomed start tracing the part of the image you want to "cut out"

Step 5 - Connect the dots, the Right-click and select make selection, and leave all options at default - Radius 0 pixels, etc..
Step 6 - Press delete/backspace to delete the selected background

Steps 7-9 only applies to clearART, logos do not need these steps

Step 7 - Select blur tool, cant give a specific brush size as it depends how big your image is. The brush size should be as big as the edge of image, as you just want to blur the edge not the whole image
Step 8 - Set strength to like 26ish, helps remove some jaggieness from the cutout

Step 9 - optional, but nice - select outer glow layer style with opacity around 26ish, just to have image pop a little on a black background

These steps apply to both logos and clearART

Step 10 - grab the logo from the fanart.tv site
Step 11 - Create new canvas at 500x281, or 400x155 for a logo
Step 12 - Fit the image into the canvas size
Step 13 - double check against a black/white/red/green background, then hide the background before saving as a .png

The only issue I have with user moderated logo approval is that (some) people are blind and or stupid. It would only take X number of idiot votes to approve a complete crap logo for a popular show and have it slip right by us. Moderation of logos isn't really that big of a deal in the first place, most of them are approved or denied the same day they're posted. Anyway that's my 2 cents on the subject,
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
fanart.tv - Request and share ClearLOGO, ClearART and more Fan Artwork / Thumbs4