XBMC on OS X vs. Live performance on Mac Mini
Hi all,

I have an old-ish Mac Mini (1.83 Ghz Core Duo, 2 GB RAM - Late 2006 version) running XBMC on Snow Leopard, pulling the video content from a FreeNAS server via SMB-shares. .

The playback seems to be just a little sluggish at times, and I was wondering if I could get a performance boost by installing the Live or Linux version and running that from a USB stick.

Do any of you have experiences with this setup, or can you think of tweaks that might improve the performance? Unfortunately the RAM is already maxed out, and I can't install any more.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Br
Rasmus
I have same MacMini with 512MB RAM and running Leopard 10.5.8 with XBMC Dharma RC2, connected to network over Wifi-g, pulling stuff from a G5. I have sluggishness when doing something in Finder or Safari and once in a while small network buffering. But Movies seem to run fine. Occasional sluggishness when scrolling large number of files in XBMC. That's about it. XBMX is the only APP runs on that, other than default system processes, File Sharing, Remote Login & Remote Management turned on.

Rasmus Wrote:Hi all,

I have an old-ish Mac Mini (1.83 Ghz Core Duo, 2 GB RAM - Late 2006 version) running XBMC on Snow Leopard, pulling the video content from a FreeNAS server via SMB-shares. .

The playback seems to be just a little sluggish at times, and I was wondering if I could get a performance boost by installing the Live or Linux version and running that from a USB stick.

Do any of you have experiences with this setup, or can you think of tweaks that might improve the performance? Unfortunately the RAM is already maxed out, and I can't install any more.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Br
Rasmus

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC on OS X vs. Live performance on Mac Mini0