• 6(current)
KinEmote - Kinect Driven Media Control (OpenNI based open source project for Windows)
KinEmote - Kinect Driven Media Control version 0.2 public beta has been released!

It has full XBMC and Boxee support and is available for Windows 32 and 64 bit systems at http://code.google.com/p/kinemote/

Please note if you're upgrading from Kinect Remote for XBMC alpha you'll have to install the new version of the OpenNI framework

Quote:John Simons and Joel Griffin Dodd release 'KinEmote' remote control software for MicroSoft Windows and Kinect.

KinEmote is an easy-to-use application that allows Windows users to navigate the menus of Boxee and XBMC media portals using nothing but hand gestures that are captured by MicroSoft's Kinect camera.

"Many developers are doing wonderful things with the Kinect camera," says Griffin Dodd, "While many of these projects are extremely impressive, they haven't really provided the casual user with something they can enjoy on a daily basis. That's why we developed KinEmote, a practical application that anyone can just install and use. Of course we also wanted to give people something fun to play with for Christmas".

KinEmote is built around OpenNI and NITE Middleware provided by PrimeSense Inc. "I'm really impressed that PrimeSense stepped up and released open source software for anyone to develop around." says Simons, "They have inspired developers like myself to try something new in the hope of giving back to the community as a whole. Projects like XBMC are wonderful examples of the power of open source, I'm glad we can support Boxee & XBMC in a new way by providing practical tools to leverage the power of the awesome Kinect hardware."
Thank you very much for this early Christmas gift. Unfortunately I'm at work atm but as soon as I'm finished I know what to do :-)

Btw, you made it to Engadget again! http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/24/kinem...ia-center/

Reading the comments you guys made a couple of people go to the store to pick up a Kinect just because of your app. For my Kinect it's byebye X360 and hello PC.

Thanks again and Happy Holidays!
Hey,

This is my Kinemote test ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6PsKwbVla4

Thanks for the software!
Johnsel Wrote:KinEmote - Kinect Driven Media Control version 0.2 public beta has been released!

It has full XBMC and Boxee support and is available for Windows 32 and 64 bit systems at http://code.google.com/p/kinemote/

Please note if you're upgrading from Kinect Remote for XBMC alpha you'll have to install the new version of the OpenNI framework

Hi Johnsel, any news on your linux progress, I really would like to get this on my XBMC Live install ;-)

Greetings
Platforms: macOS - iOS - OSMC
co-author: Red Bull TV add-on
Fantastic work.
Been struggling to get it to work w/ Boxee or XBMC for the last couple of hours though. I get the "Error initializing kinect sensor Application will shutdown" error when I start up Kinemote. Though once I click OK the application opens anyways and shows me the video.

Boxee and XBMC even recognize the new connection. But no matter how much I flail around (or follow the instructions) nothing in Boxee or XBMC budges. Any suggestions on what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

FYI I'm running Win 7 x64
rog0003 Wrote:Fantastic work.
Been struggling to get it to work w/ Boxee or XBMC for the last couple of hours though. I get the "Error initializing kinect sensor Application will shutdown" error when I start up Kinemote. Though once I click OK the application opens anyways and shows me the video.

Boxee and XBMC even recognize the new connection. But no matter how much I flail around (or follow the instructions) nothing in Boxee or XBMC budges. Any suggestions on what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

"Error initializing kinect sensor" means there's a problem while initalizing the NITE Middleware. Can you PM me with contact info (Google talk, MSN Messenger) so we can find out what causes this error?
Johnsel got it working for me!!! Thanks again. Appreciate the quick feedback and support.
amazing..just read this on engadget and went to try it out..sadly despite of installing/reinstalling everything again and again i still cant get it to work

when i launch the KinEmote and start the server..as soon as i make any gesture..it crashes with this error

Description:
Stopped working

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
Problem Signature 01: kinemote.exe
Problem Signature 02: 0.2.0.0
Problem Signature 03: 4d13f734
Problem Signature 04: OpenNI.net
Problem Signature 05: 1.0.0.23
Problem Signature 06: 4d126b4e
Problem Signature 07: 19
Problem Signature 08: 9
Problem Signature 09: System.EntryPointNotFound
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=1...cid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt
rog0003 Wrote:Fantastic work.

Thanks in advance.

I seem to be getting the same problem. Also I cannot successfully close the application. It throws up an unhandled exception and refuses to close. Have to end up killing the app. Any ideas?

Thanks
I got the kinect running under linux for OpenNI / NITE examples, now waiting for a kinemote linux version. Smile
I had the same error/crash with Win7 (x64). Solved it after installing the software in different order. Unfortunately, I tried it 6 times so I don't know anymore in what order I installed before it worked. In the end it worked for me. Be aware I did this with the the alpha1 KinEmote software. After this upgrading to beta KinEmote worked flawless. Hope you get it working. Good luck.
This is fantastic, this is what I love about technology..!

I would love to try this one out on my kinect, but I seem to get the same problem as rog0003, and that seemed to be an easy fix..Wink, so I wondered if I could get the same courtesy..Wink

Thanks in advanced, I know I am going to love this app..Wink
Thanks all for the feedback on issues.
The installation order should be:
1. OpenNI
2. Sensor driver
3. NITE (using key: 0KOIk2JeIBYClPWVnMoRKn5cdY4=)

However, if you have already installed them and you still have problems, reinstalling NITE using the correct key should fix the problem.
Not sure if anyone has seen this application but it goes back to a thread opened some time ago regarding the Microsoft Kinect as a possible gesture based remote control. There's a video demonstrating a user navigating through Boxee though it's supposed to work for XBMC as well.

Here's the link.

*Note: I am not the programmer of this software. I happened to come across it over at Neowin and having not seen a thread opened about it, decided to post it for those with a Kinect.

Best thing to do if you happen to find any bugs or have any suggestions for the programmer is to leave a comment over on his Google Page.

Ah damn, I guess there was a thread opened about this. Guess I got excited and jumped the gun.
Johnsel Wrote:Thanks all for the feedback on issues.
The installation order should be:
1. Sensor driver
2. OpenNI
3. NITE (using key: 0KOIk2JeIBYClPWVnMoRKn5cdY4=)

However, if you have already installed them and you still have problems, reinstalling NITE using the correct key should fix the problem.

I cannot install in this order. It may very well be something wrong with my setup, but I can't get the drivers to install before I install OpenNI. If I try to the install errors out with "Installation Failed! Could not register module with OpenNI!"

Is there something I need to install before the drivers?
Thanks
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
KinEmote - Kinect Driven Media Control (OpenNI based open source project for Windows)1