• 11(current)
KinEmote - Kinect Driven Media Control (OpenNI based open source project for Windows)
snoopdobb Wrote:I managed to get OpenNI, Sensor driver, and NITE up and running on my Ubuntu 10.10 HTPC. All the NITE sensor demos (samples) are working properly. I also just signed up for the kinemote.net site, and will have a go at building the project under Linux today. Big Grin

Did you have any success getting it to run under Ubuntu?
snoopdobb Wrote:I managed to get OpenNI, Sensor driver, and NITE up and running on my Ubuntu 10.10 HTPC. All the NITE sensor demos (samples) are working properly. I also just signed up for the kinemote.net site, and will have a go at building the project under Linux today. Big Grin

any update on this?
Nvidia Shield with Kodi 18
Kinect OpenNI and Nite demos are running fine on my Ubuntu, so I'd really like to use Kinemote now on it! Let"s hope the linux port will be available soo, Big Grin
Session ends instantly on latest nightly. Noticed the remote app on android disconnecting sometimes too.
Is there any special Topic about Kinect and Linux-xbmc?

I really would like to read more about this, cause i plan to buy the Kinect-Stuff for my xbox ...
Just wanted to let you guys know, Beta 2 of the SDK just got released.

http://www.kinectforwindows.org/download/
thegamesdb.net - An open video games database.
scottbrant.net - Blog
I think this looks really cool and want to set it up with my XBMC. I don't have a Kinect yet so I'll have to buy one, and therefore I wonder wich version of the Kinect I should buy? The Xbox version or the Windows version.
The way I understand things is that the Xbox version won't work with "official" apps or programs written with the Microsoft SDK for Kinect but the Windows version will do that. So the question is: will the Windows verison of Kinect work with KinEmote and which one should I buy? I understand that I can't use both KinEmote and official apps at the same time since they use different drivers and so on, but I think that it would be nice to have the option to use the other apps aswell
+1 for Linux and openelec...

+1 for a Mac version!
This looks really cool, but no updates since January 2011. Safe to assume it's not being developed any longer?
I'm trying this out now, while we wait for Kinemote MS. Just wondering how people are getting on with the gestures, and if you have any advice for getting it working better. I'm using Aeon Nox 3 and having issues because the thing just keeps scrolling like crazy. So how do people have it setup?
Has anyone used this on Windows 8?
(2012-05-23, 16:22)evenkallevik Wrote: I think this looks really cool and want to set it up with my XBMC. I don't have a Kinect yet so I'll have to buy one, and therefore I wonder wich version of the Kinect I should buy? The Xbox version or the Windows version.
The way I understand things is that the Xbox version won't work with "official" apps or programs written with the Microsoft SDK for Kinect but the Windows version will do that. So the question is: will the Windows verison of Kinect work with KinEmote and which one should I buy? I understand that I can't use both KinEmote and official apps at the same time since they use different drivers and so on, but I think that it would be nice to have the option to use the other apps aswell

It is mentioned here Kinect to be used with XBMC that you can use Kinect for XBOX (cheaper one) and no need to buy the one for Windows.

I am also in the same boat , looking to buy a kinect just for the XBMC control and the awe factor :-) it should bring. I am on Windows 7 32-Bit XBMC 12 Frodo running on Dell Studio Hybriid 140-g (Media Center/Player).

However I am a bit confused and skeptical about the real life performance, usage and behavior of such a setup. Can someone who is already using it with tell me the following :

1. How accurate and precise the kinect based menu scroll is. What is a normal optimal usage distance from the TV.

2. Which actions or gestures (left click, right click, scroll up down) can be performed with Kinect. I usually use menu scroll left/right/up/down/pause/movie info/library update within XBMC. The volume is controlled separately on the amplifier.

3. I am not supposed to watch a movie on XBMC in a fixed frozen position for 2 hours or more. So what about the natural body or hand movements, are they picked up as control gestures by kinect, even when there is no intention to manipulate or call the XBMC settings during menu interaction or playback.

4. I can control the XBMC settings only with Kinect (using Kinemote I guess). But my sound is coming via Yamaha home theater amplifier connected to the optical audio port of the media center. There is no volume up/down control within Windows which raises/lowers the volume passing by the SPDIF optical audio port, hence it is independent of the system audio as raw sound output stream is decoded at the amplifier level (whether Dolby or DTS). So I figure there is no way to control volume up or down on the Yamaha Amplifier, for it I would still have to use my logitech harmony 890 configured to control multiple devices in an "Activity" mode.

5. Relating to point no. 4, if I manage to output the sound from media center via HDMI (not via optical audio) , then it maybe a chance to control volume via windows audio control (even in this case the amplifier needs to be on a fixed amplification level and the raise/lower of volume is handled by Windows audio volume bar.). If it sounds possible then is there any gesture/symbol available in Kinemote to control volume.

Thanks for reading and responding, which I guess would be helpful for the community in general.
does this still work? seems kinemote site is partially down, and cant find any google results on this.
I would also like to know if this is still being developed. I had plans to get a kinect, but I'm holding off until I can find the software. Anyone have a copy, or know where to get it/status of the website?
  • 11(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
KinEmote - Kinect Driven Media Control (OpenNI based open source project for Windows)1