Move view options into separate window, like maybe centralized under XBMC's settings?
Lightbulb 
More and more skins (nearly all of them these days, it seems) are moving the view options for the video and music windows (e.g., "sort by," "view mode," etc) into hidden side menus that require pressing left, right, up, or down, depending on which view mode you're using. This is fine for an experienced user, but even I often have to try a couple different directions before I find the right one. I imagine for a new user it is less that optimal.

Why not add a default built-in window for these settings? This way, these settings could be accessed in a standardized way in all skins and all view modes. If desired, skinners could even add a button linking to it in the video/music windows to make it super obvious for even first time users, and users could customize buttons on their remotes to launch this menu as well.

Additionally, this would eliminate the confusion of trying to leave these hidden menus, especially when a newbie accidentally accesses it. I live in a house of 10 people, only one of which has ever used XBMC before and I recently set up my htpc for them to use - a perfect testing ground to figure out what really is and isn't "user friendly." Multiple times I have been asked for help when one of them entered one of these hidden menus and couldn't figure out how to get out of it when the "back" button didn't work. If the settings were to be moved into their own window, the back button WOULD work. This alone would save some headaches.

In my opinion, this change could considerably improve the user friendliness of xbmc. The back of my mind tells me surely there is something I'm missing here otherwise this already would have been implemented, but in case I'm wrong and in the interest of sharing ideas, here is mine Smile
I kind of agree and 95% of the time this could easily be done with a self filling list like the contextmenu since all those buttons should be common across skins. the problem is when the skinner decides to add more Smile
And on the side of adding more this could be done when the skins settings get migrated to addon settings window with a simple "Skin Specific" option to pop it up
Hell, I have been using XBMC for four years and STILL get screwed up on what up, down, left, and right do on specific skins. I agree that making some UI things more obvious is something that will be beneficial for XBMC as a whole.
Totally agree, I started a thread about this a while back and got mostly shot down Sad
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=49519
automated Wrote:totally agree, i started a thread about this a while back and got mostly shot down Sad
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=49519

bang bang !!!!!!!!!
Not exactly an overwhelming response rate, but I'm glad some agree..
Honestly, I've never been sure why all these settings were not available on the context menu to begin with. Having a second sub menu is a bit counter-intuitive. IMO the context menu should have its current contents, plus context sensitive choices (such as filters, views, etc) for the current screen.

It would probably mean making the context menu capable of sub-menus (IMO sort of poorly organized as it is now... why do I have to scroll through 5 or 6 items to run "Update Library".

Maybe broken into: Library Functions, Skin Functions? I'm sure there is a third or fourth breakdown possible, but I'm not infront of my system to look right now.

The problem being, this will break all exisiting skins to implement.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Move view options into separate window, like maybe centralized under XBMC's settings?0