Super Barebone, yet Modular Hardware! Come Review!
Lightbulb 
Another "is my hardware cool enough?" list... Smile

Goals
  1. Modular. Want to be able to replace things if they break, or upgrade if I want some oomph.
  2. Barebones - MINIMAL hardware. This means, I will be PXE booting from server, with a mysql database library management system. Hopefully, I can figure out a way to cache the thumbnails/fanart without adding a disk. Also, will converting the fanart/thumbnails to "ddsw" (misspelled i know)/ hw accelerated images help?
  3. Minimal footprint - Smallest possible footprint. These will be most likely in walls, or behind TV's (with adequate cooling of course :-D)
  4. Functional - Be able to play full blu-ray rips, multichannel flac audio, and whatever else I want to do with it.

Motherboard ZOTAC GF6100-E-E
Processor AMD Sempron 140 Sargas
Video Card ZOTAC ION-GPU-A-E ION

Memory will just be any random 2GB DDR2 Memory I find.

Case/PSU will be M350 box with 80W PicoPSU with China AC Adapter.

No remote needed, each XBMC Station will be controlled by an Android Tablet, which can be used to control any XBMC client in the house.

For Games / Emulators, I will buy 4 Xbox 360 Controllers (wired) with a USB hub.

The house hardware is gigabit ethernet with switch,ubuntu with flexraid server usenet sickbeard couchpotato, yada yada. Also, I hope to develop a home automation plugin for xbmc (don't drool, I'm a complete novice :-p). That, with all the other amazing plugins becoming available, will finally make my dream come true: open source creston/control4. Of course, once I perfect it, I'll charge for installation/support Smile

So everyone please take a look, and critique! or be inspired! If you can't decide, flip a coin!

Also, if anyone knows audio, please answer this question. Can most passive speakers be powered by a computer soundcard, PCI or USB? I have my doubts. I'm sure someone creates a class D amp that can fit near a computer powered by a usb port, just need to find it.

edit* - I am aware that the back of the M350 does not have an expansion port. Fear not! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUpB8I70CIg#t=1m46s
How are you going to fit the video card into that case?

I have that case (not for my HTPC) so I know that there is no way you can use that mobo+videocard+case combo.

You would be much better off chosing an Atom+ION mobo (see full list here), those will fit into that case and with one of those you won't need the separate video card.

spartan711 Wrote:edit* - I am aware that the back of the M350 does not have an expansion port. Fear not! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUpB8I70CIg#t=1m46s

That adapter+backplate is PCI (not PCIe) and specific for the Intel D945GSEJT mobo, so it won't work with the mobo you chose. Also the D945GSEJT is a low-profile mobo, while the one you chose is not, so it's physically impossible to fit the video card together with your mobo.

--
Yeah, I should have probably gone into more detail on that. I plan to use a pcie-1x flexible riser, attach the card to the hard drive area on the left hand side (facing the back), and punch a small hole in the mobo backplate right above the VGA port. Ta da!

If I went for the atom combo, then I would not be able to upgrade if need be. I agree, they are a great solution (in fact a N230 ion is my primary), but this setup is supposed to be as flexible as possible. An atom breaks that.
spartan711 Wrote:Yeah, I should have probably gone into more detail on that. I plan to use a pcie-1x flexible riser, attach the card to the hard drive area on the left hand side (facing the back), and punch a small hole in the mobo backplate right above the VGA port. Ta da!

Forget it, it will never work, the case is tiny, as I said I own that case so I know it, even if it would fit (and I say it won't) you would have serious heat issues.

You need to chose a mobo that has already an ION/ION2 cpu on-board, anything else won't fit.
Hm... you seem quite sure on the not fitting part. I think I will have to try it anyway though. I am a pretty curious person, and I can repurpose the case if it doesn't work. But I didn't even think about the heat. Sempron 140 is 31-45W, with the GPU adding 18 W max. That means 63W of heat needs to be dispersed. I feel as though the HSF of the processor and the GPU will be able to do that, combined with the venting of the m350. That's the sole reason I'm getting it. That, and the fact that its really, really small.
spartan711 Wrote:If I went for the atom combo, then I would not be able to upgrade if need be.

Not really at all. Many ION board come with either PCIe 1x or PCIe 16x slots. Heck I have a GT210 in my ION system right now.

Processor? I know flash is VDPAU in 10.2 beta and everything, but I'm trying to be safe rather than sorry.
spartan711 Wrote:Processor? I know flash is VDPAU in 10.2 beta and everything, but I'm trying to be safe rather than sorry.

If you really must have a fast cpu (but there is no need for it really given that the GPU does all the hard work) then buy the Zotac GF9300-ITX mobo with a core2duo cpu.

The point is there is NO WAY you can fit an extra graphics card into the M350 case (the DIY solution you mention won't work because the cpu HSF will be in the way), so you have to choose a mobo with integrated graphics that is good enough for your purposes.
spartan711 Wrote:Also, if anyone knows audio, please answer this question. Can most passive speakers be powered by a computer soundcard, PCI or USB? I have my doubts. I'm sure someone creates a class D amp that can fit near a computer powered by a usb port, just need to find it.
Line out can drive very small passive speakers. Suitable for light background music in a office. Not suitable for watching movies/games. I'd definitely recommend finding an amp. USB can only provide ~5W of power, so any amp you do get will likely come with its own power brick.
Asus AT5IONT-I in an A+ CUPID-3 + 2TB Seagate LP + 16GB SSD + Ubuntu + Samba + XBMC

AT5IONT-I Problems? Check out my Motherboard I/O Map for troubleshooting tips.
ion_man Wrote:If you really must have a fast cpu (but there is no need for it really given that the GPU does all the hard work) then buy the Zotac GF9300-ITX mobo with a core2duo cpu.

Now THAT sounds like a winner.

You should look at a T-Amp

http://www.p-macaudio.com/ProductDetails...ode=TP20II

I run one in my arcade machine and one for some deck speakers.

These things are great. I have not tried running on of a PC power supply, but there is no reason why you couldnt.

The bang for buck out of these is great. Even the $20 eBay version.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Super Barebone, yet Modular Hardware! Come Review!0