How do I install xbmc in linux mint 10?
I have tryed searching for this in the forum, but didnt find anything spesific for linux mint. This is the first time Ive tryed linux so please try to explain me in an easy way.

Im sorry if this is a very stupid questionBlush
Thanks
Follow the instructions for Ubuntu Maverick (they are in the wiki): need to add the repositories (SVN if you want the latest functionality of XBMC) and then sudo apt-get install xbmc. Simple as that.
Is it this guide you mean? http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...Step_Guide

When I type: sudo apt-get install xbmc xbmc-standalone

I get the error:
E: Cant find the package xbmc
E: Cant find the package xbmc - standalone

BTW, I dont even know what Im doingSmile (I just copied from the guide and pasted into Terminal)
https://launchpad.net/~team-xbmc-svn/+archive/ppa

follow the installation instructions on the ppa overview page

btw SVN ppa builds are waiting at the moment, bad timing I guess ^^
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
joeranjensen Wrote:Is it this guide you mean? http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...Step_Guide

When I type: sudo apt-get install xbmc xbmc-standalone

I get the error:
E: Cant find the package xbmc
E: Cant find the package xbmc - standalone

BTW, I dont even know what Im doingSmile (I just copied from the guide and pasted into Terminal)

try this http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=87132
just open terminal and copy/paste these lines one by one
Quote:sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc-svn/ppa
Quote:sudo apt-get update
Quote:sudo apt-get install xbmc

If you want to have standalone launch(run xbmc directly without gnome)
Quote:sudo apt-get install xbmc-standalone
Thumbs Up 
scalpel Wrote:If you want to have standalone launch(run xbmc directly without gnome)

jj, i forgot to tell you about that standalone option Cool
thanks m8
Thank you guys for repliesSmile Il try tonight when I get home. But, is there anything I have to do/install before I do this? Linux Mint is the only thing installed on the hd

And, just for my curiousity, what does those commands mean, and do?

Thanks
No you dont need anything else, one of the good things about linux is that any extra software which is needed will be automatically downloaded and installed for you when you install xbmc Wink

First command adds the repository to your sources list. In other words, it tells mint about a new place where it can look for software when you ask it to install something.

Second command updates the list of available software Mint keeps - since you added a new repository, software from it will be added to this list.

Third and Fourth commands actually install xbmc for you.
Mindzai Wrote:No you dont need anything else, one of the good things about linux is that any extra software which is needed will be automatically downloaded and installed for you when you install xbmc Wink

First command adds the repository to your sources list. In other words, it tells mint about a new place where it can look for software when you ask it to install something.

Second command updates the list of available software Mint keeps - since you added a new repository, software from it will be added to this list.

Third and Fourth commands actually install xbmc for you.

Ok, good to know what actually happensSmile I have never tested out linux before, until today. And I realy starts to like it. I installed it to an old laptop, and absolutely everything worked out of the boxBig GrinBig Grin

Now I hope I get xbmc and spotify up running, and a remoteSmile
I don't know what card graph you have, if nvidia with vdpau support you probaly need to install libvdpau1, and maybe newer nvidia driver. You should check it.
scalpel Wrote:I don't know what card graph you have, if nvidia with vdpau support you probaly need to install libvdpau1, and maybe newer nvidia driver. You should check it.

Yes, its Nvidia, and it popped up a message about updating the nvidia driver. I did that, but after updating drivers my screen blacked out (The laptopscreen is broken, and the computer is connected to a samsung lcd tv thrue a vga cable). I couldnt undo the graphic changes so I had to reinstall Mint after thatConfused

I installed Mint on this computer just to test it out, but if I get everything up running Il probably set it up to show my kids movies (not HD-movies).

Is there any way to boot in "safemode" or something, if my screen turns black again? so I could Undo any settings who caused this.
rikardo1979 Wrote:try this http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=87132
just open terminal and copy/paste these lines one by one

Ok, now its installed and everything went fineSmile The bad news is that everything inside xbmc is very slow and the videoplayback is very stutterySad
(Ive enabled the hardwareacceleration)

The strange thing is that when I use the default linux mint movieplayer, even the HD-movies plays not to bad and the non-hd movies is playing perfectHuhHuh

Il try to post a Debug Log, if I can find it....Smile

Any ideas?
joeranjensen Wrote:Ok, now its installed and everything went fineSmile The bad news is that everything inside xbmc is very slow and the videoplayback is very stutterySad
(Ive enabled the hardwareacceleration)

The strange thing is that when I use the default linux mint movieplayer, even the HD-movies plays not to bad and the non-hd movies is playing perfectHuhHuh

Il try to post a Debug Log, if I can find it....Smile

Any ideas?

the reason is cos u didn't install the GPU drivers. So your playback is go only trough the CPU. You need to find the way to install the drivers for your graphic card. Thats the only way how to fix your issue
rikardo1979 Wrote:the reason is cos u didn't install the GPU drivers. So your playback is go only trough the CPU. You need to find the way to install the drivers for your graphic card. Thats the only way how to fix your issue

Ok, then I have to give it a try. Do you know if there is some kind of "start linux in safemode" or similar. In case I got a black screen.

You know why xbmc wont handle videoplayback with the drivers installed now, while the default player does?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How do I install xbmc in linux mint 10?0