xmas gift appletv with xbmc
I am thinking of giving an appletv (1st gen) 40gb with xbmc and boxee on it to my brother. I want to know the below if you guys can help out

will this box be able to stream movies from a local pc in network (1080 and 720) via wifi? Would 1080 be too much for this system?

can you hook up an external drive to play moves locally?

What skins work?

what are the cons on using an appletv?

is it hard to customize and upgrade?

My brother is not the tech savy brother so he needs something easy to use. I was thinknig of getting him a boxeebox but I can get an appletv with xbmc on it for 100 less. Your opinions please.
Nvidia Shield with Kodi 18
rflores2323 Wrote:I am thinking of giving an appletv (1st gen) 40gb with xbmc and boxee on it to my brother. I want to know the below if you guys can help out

I'd rather go for something like your Revo. Look at newegg: the prices for Intel Atom + ION platforms have really dropped.

rflores2323 Wrote:will this box be able to stream movies from a local pc in network (1080 and 720) via wifi? Would 1080 be too much for this system?

Depends on your WiFi network configuration. In common case you can not stream 1080 over WiFi. But you may get lucky...

rflores2323 Wrote:can you hook up an external drive to play moves locally?

You can but you need to configure AppleTV to do that that. By default the USB port is off and even after you turn it on it only supports FAT32 or HFS+.

rflores2323 Wrote:What skins work?
Perhaps all of them should work but I haven't tested really.

rflores2323 Wrote:what are the cons on using an appletv?

Very fragile and configuration sensitive. Sometimes crushes with no apparent reason.

rflores2323 Wrote:is it hard to customize and upgrade?

It's Mac OS X. You use ssh.

rflores2323 Wrote:My brother is not the tech savy brother so he needs something easy to use. I was thinknig of getting him a boxeebox but I can get an appletv with xbmc on it for 100 less. Your opinions please.

Don't forget to add $50+ for the Crystal HD card. Plus get ready to dedicate some of your time for your brother's Apple TV support...

I personally like Apple TV exterior design, but man, you will need a lot of patience. And don't even think of playing 1080 on it without Crystal HD.
Backend: Windows 7 file share + MySql on wired 1GB
Frontend 1: ATV OSX 3.02 w/CHD 012 + XBMC Dharma 10.0 + CHD r174 on wired FE
Frontend 2: Intel Atom 330/2Gb/ATI HD4350 + Windows 7 + XBMC Dharma 10.0 with DXVA + MySql DB on wired 1GB
Doesnt sound like this is an easy option for xbmc. thanks for the advise.
Nvidia Shield with Kodi 18

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
xmas gift appletv with xbmc0