Complete Bluetooth Support - including full Configuration Settings GUI within XBMC?
Lightbulb 
Hi,

I would like to hear how you think about the idea to add complete bluetooth support in XBMC, which includes:
1. Search and pair with devices
2. Support bluetooth headset. When a bluetooth headset is connected, sounds are automatically send to it
3. Support bluetooth file transfer.

In Windows all the above are supported by the OS so it's probably not necessary. However in Linux, when you run xbmc-standalone, all you got is bluez, which is kind of low level thing. Right now, I have to either login to GNOME session, or use hcitool to pair with a bluetooth headset or input device; and setup ALSA asoundrc file or XBMC audio custom string to use a bluetooth headset. Those steps are very difficult for average users.

Ideally, XBMC could have a menu to search bluetooth device, pair with it, and play. (Like the way it work in most bluetooth-enabled cell phones)
It could also be obtained by an addon to xbmc.
Would have been nice to have bluetooth support with gui.

As you said for headsets and offcourse remotes Smile possibly you could also
browse your cell phone for pictures and videos Wink
PointOfView Nvidia ION Atom 330 - TRANSCEND 2GB DDR2 DIMM 800MHz - G.SKILL 64GB SSD 2.5
Open Elec Beta4 1.95.4
XBMC Online Manual - HOW-TO post about a problem in a useful manner - Create/View Bug Report
Setup/Fix correct resolution on XBMC/Ubuntu - Usefull linux terminal commands
Maybe some of the features like pairing can be supported by an addon, but for such a standard, popular technology like bluetooth, it should be a built-in functionality in XBMC, especially to support headsets.
Setting up a remote is something that is missing from xbmc
gui. Hopefully some day there will be something in the gui to setup remotes IR or Bluetooth....
PointOfView Nvidia ION Atom 330 - TRANSCEND 2GB DDR2 DIMM 800MHz - G.SKILL 64GB SSD 2.5
Open Elec Beta4 1.95.4
XBMC Online Manual - HOW-TO post about a problem in a useful manner - Create/View Bug Report
Setup/Fix correct resolution on XBMC/Ubuntu - Usefull linux terminal commands
Ticket created.

http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/11003
while I see some value in having an integrated bluetooth GUI, add-ons for LIRC and wlan configuration should be of higher priority for eden Wink
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
I have stated previously that I would be willing to do code for it if there is interesting hardware. Sadly I haven't found much interesting hardware.
Bluetooth headphones is a viable one but it is still quite a slow market for it. Remotes is even sader. There is almost no nice remote out there worthy of the work required. Sending files I really don't see the point behind, we are a player not really a desktop. Streaming to a xbmc device over ad2p is but that's not realty xbmc which handles.

In the end if you find nice hardware and donate it might happen

Cheers.
Tobias.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
You are right, bluetooth demands seems still low in HTPC area, but things might change, who knows. Smile Anyway, I have some intention to implement it myself and I really started to read XBMC and bluez source codes seriously...
I think that the problem is that those bluetooth devices are consuming too much energy.
For headphones still RF is a good choice.
RF or IR for Remotes.
Cheers
ubuntuf4n
I don't think bluetooth headset consumes any more energy than a typical RF one. The one I got gives me 4 hours continuous stereo playback and can be fully charged in 2 hours, only with a built-in 130mAH Li-on battery. Most of the energy are consumed by the speaker, not the device itself, so I don't think it makes any difference with a bluetooth one and a RF one.

I would be much interested in donating headsets to the XBMC developers, it's just the shipping fee is too high from here, The headset itself costs something like less than $10.
llyzs Wrote:You are right, bluetooth demands seems still low in HTPC area, but things might change, who knows. Smile Anyway, I have some intention to implement it myself and I really started to read XBMC and bluez source codes seriously...

patches are most welcomed, if you need any help ping me on IRC (or here) and Ill try to answer at the best of my abilities.

Most of the implementation should be dbus afaik, some C is usually required if you want to communicate over bluetooth with the device but for this it shouldn't be needed. I recommend doing the easier stuff first and as a seperate patch, i.e. turn on / off visibility and bluetooth radio via settings, allow renaming etc. After that you could continue to do the harder parts like transfer or pairing.

Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
@topfs2: yes, I was playing with Bluez on DBus yesterday and I was already quite got to it. I created several files IBluetoothSyscall.h, BluetoothManager.*, linux/BluezBluetoothSyscall.* (just followed the concept of PowerManager) and a GUIWindowSettingsBluetooth.*. Hope this is the right direction.

I will try to figure out all compilation issues and have a basic listing of devices working in the coming days and if anything stuck I will ask. Thanks for your help in advanced.
Yeah, thats the way it should be implemented IMO. Just slap in a NullBluetoothSyscall also which makes everything in GUI disappear. Not the most important thing for first implementation though.

Status update: I have come up with this at this moment. Please have an initial review.

http://trac.xbmc.org/attachment/ticket/1...ooth.patch

I added a System->Bluetooth menu and in it you will already be able to see a list of paired devices. My next step is to add a new thread to listen to DeviceFound signal on DBus.

Meanwhile I also need some help:

1. When I enter the Bluetooth setting window, I cannot return back when I press Backspace button on my remote. I don't know why because I just copied some code from Profile setting window and I can't find what is still missing.

2. Currently I just copied Profiles window skin, but it definitely needs some art work. Anyone can help on this? I think some new icons must be added in order to indicate the device type and device status. Right now what I can think of is:
Device type: Mouse, Keyboard, Headset, Cell phone, Computer, Unknown
Device status: Connected, Disconnected, Newly discovered
Dumb question. How do you install patches on XBMC live? I'd really like to use my bluetooth headphones at night and my only solution right now is to dual boot with windows.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Complete Bluetooth Support - including full Configuration Settings GUI within XBMC?2