[LINUX] HOW-TO use ALSAEQUAL real-time adjustable audio equalizer for ALSA with XBMC
Thumbs Up 
I made it through Alsaequal and at the moment you can control it via a linux console shell.
Tested in a Ubuntu Maverick 10.10 installed with this guide: XBMCbuntu.

Download alsaequal from www.thedigitalmachine.net (direct link)
to successfully compile in ubuntu I had to install these dependencies
Code:
$ sudo apt-get install libasound2-dev caps
then
Code:
$ tar xvjf alsaequal-x.x.tar.bz2
$ cd alsaequal-x.x
$ make
$ sudo make install

if all goes well we now have installed alsaequal. To use it with XBMC I create /etc/asound.conf with the following content:
Code:
pcm.!default {
  type hw
  card 1
}

ctl.!default {
  type hw
  card 1
}

ctl.equal {
  type equal;
}

pcm.plugequal {
  type equal;
  slave.pcm "plughw:1,0";
}

pcm.!default {
  type plug;
  slave.pcm plugequal;
}

NOTE that I use CARD 1 and plughw:1,0 because my dac (usb soundcard) is identified by 1, you can see which is your soundcard number with aplay -l.
NOTE2 (thanks to muzzol) if you want to configure it just for your user you can use ~/.asoundrc.

I finally selected in XBMC "Default" as Output device (under SYSTEM>AUDIO OUTPUT> AUDIO OUTPUT DEVICE) and now via console I can control XBMC audio output with a real-time adjustable equalizer:
Code:
$ alsamixer -D equal
output

Cool
Big Grin 
thanks a lot joe!

i just tried and it works great!!!

by the way, there's a little typo on you howto: generic alsa file is /etc/asound.conf not /etc/asoundrc.conf

and if you want to configure it just for your user you can use ~/.asoundrc

thanks again for this howto!
It seems to be not supported any longer in xbmc 12 (frodo) - sorry for refreshing old thread, but maybe someone is interested in this. This is one of main reasons why I don't plan to update to xbmc 12 until this is fixed (or xbmc has its own audio equalizer).
Very good help.

I dont know if XBMC team have changed something but it is need to make a symbolic link to alsa-lib

$ tar xvjf alsaequal-x.x.tar.bz2
$ cd alsaequal-x.x
$ sudo ln -s /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/alsa-lib /usr/lib/
$ make
$ sudo make install
@macara - do you have alsaequal working with xbmc12? I'm intersted in this, no audio eq available is the only thing that forces me to don't upgrate from xbmc 11 to xbmc 12.
In Gotham XBMC the "Default" output device is not present anymore. Does someone know if there's a way to use alsaequal on XMBC 13? How can one submit this to a developer?
(2014-05-20, 12:26)polimorph Wrote: Does someone know if there's a way to use alsaequal on XMBC 13?
There is no way, sorry. You can use pulseaudio equalizer instead.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] HOW-TO use ALSAEQUAL real-time adjustable audio equalizer for ALSA with XBMC1