Dharma and Shutdown Button
It has helped a friend to fix his shutdown problems.
used sudo apt-get install upower, but the results are that the package upower is unable to be found.
In older releases of Ubuntu the package was called 'devicekit-power', iirc.
Tried running sudo apt-get install devicekit-power and this is the result thrown back by XBMC (or Ubuntu)

devicekit-power is already the newest version
devicekit-power set to manually installed
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove & 3 not upgraded

Shutdown is still not working.
Yup I still have the problem here too... and have tried most known fixes and some more "daring" ones too with no luck. Bummer.
I have been playing with the keyboard and mouse mapping but didn't get anywhere on this issue. I am now going to write a Python script/Addon and see if i can link this back to the XBMC main menu. Time to learn Python Rolleyes If anyone has experience on here with Python and can write a simple shutdown script, please do so and i will work on the addon bit.

cheers
I had the same issue and managed to fix it. If the root cause is the same for you all as it was for me the fix is pretty easy. See my thread here:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=88382
Hi Mindzai,

I just followed your other post but still no luck. The funny thing is the commands;

sudo pm-suspend or sudo poweroff
all work, its just the buttons on the shutdown menu dont.

I also noticed your running a newer ubuntu version 10.04, i am still on 9.1
Hi Guys,

I finally have a working fix for this bug. I couldn’t get the proper shutdown button to work so I have wrote a script and addon and assigned it to the programs menu. Now I can click on programs then select shutdown from the popout menu and the Revo powers off. I will document the procedure and post up tonight.
Hi Guys,

Here is how I achieved this, it’s a bit long winded but it works.

Save the code below to a file named addon.xml

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<addon id="script.revoshut"
name="Acer Revo Shutdown v1"
version="0.1"
provider-name="BigBas">
<requires>
<import addon="xbmc.python" version="1.0"/>
</requires>
<extension point="xbmc.python.script"
library="default.py" />
<extension point="xbmc.addon.metadata">
<platform>all</platform>
<summary lang="en">Acer Revo PowerOff</summary>
<description lang="en">Enables You To Shutdown An Acer Revo Running Dharma 10.</description>
</extension>
</addon>

Save the next code below to a file named default.py

# Acer Revo Shutdown Script, BigBas 28-1-11
import os
os.system("poweroff") # shutdown command

Login to WinSCP and connect to your xbmc Revo, goto the directory home/xbmc/.xbmc/addons and create a folder in there called script.revoshut

Now copy the 2 files you made earlier into this directory, you can now disconnect WinSCP, make sure you reboot your REVO prior to the next step or the addon wont appear!

Now just add this to your menu, Settings – Skin Settings – Menu – Programs (click blue button enable) – Script 1 (label it Revo Shutdown and point the select script to Acer Revo Shutdown Script.

If all is well you should have a Shutdown button under the Programs menu, it’s a popout style menu.

Any issues let me know and i will try to help,

Good luck Big Grin
Mindzai - although your other thread didn't solve my problem, it at least helped me complete another step in the debug process!

If I run the pm-suspend command the box goes to sleep as expected. What's more, the MCE remote's power button is able to wake the machine (just like it used to be able to do when it could suspend it).

Since I can put the thing into S3 from the shell and Linux still responds to the IR USB-wake event just fine, I've concluded it's not OS-related. Instead, it seems that XBMC has "forgotten" how to induce S3...

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Edit: After all this time I finally figured this out. It was a permissions problem and the fix was in the forum all along. All I did was edit /var/lib/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/custom-actions.pkla adding MY username instead of the default "xbmc" on the "Identity=unix-user:xbmx" line. Finally, my suspend is back!!
@draco:

draco Wrote:Tried running sudo apt-get install devicekit-power and this is the Shutdown is still not working.

Did you manage to fix this? I just had the same issue on another 10.04 machine.

What helped was a combination of checking the configs as suggested in the Wiki for suspend and wake as well as

Code:
sudo aptitude reinstall dbus
sudo shutdown -r now

Now the only thing that's not working is exiting XBMC - I get a screen showing my login messages, but no login prompt anymore - as also mentioned here.
Hello There, i have various shutdown problems with and without live tv on Maverick minimal 10.10.

In 8 of 10 cases the shutdown works normal, in 2 cases xbmc quits without crashlog, the x server x apperar and xbmc restarts a few seconds later...

If the shutdown fails one time, i have to do a fully reboot and then it may work again Wink

Any ideas?

hm is there a difference of installing xbmc-live out of a ppa instead of using
Quote:sudo wget http://paste.kde.org/7158/raw/ -O /etc/init/xbmc.conf
sudo ln -s /lib/init/upstart-job /etc/init.d/xbmc
sudo wget http://paste.kde.org/7022/raw/ -O /usr/bin/runXBMC
sudo chmod a+x /usr/bin/runXBMC

anyway, i still have various shutdown problems and i dont know how to find out why.
XBMC closes without generating an crashlog and starts again a few seconds later. Once faild, u have to reboot manually.

The problem is randomized, shutdown works in 8 of 10 cases ...

Any ideas?

Edit:

is it possible to build xbmc-live by my own? Normaly, with ppas, i install xbmc and xbmc-live and it works good so far but without this clock patch and most of the ppas are compiled without VAAPI...
XBMC is easy to build, same possible for the Live package?
Thanks

Edit2:

The problems are not only on 11Pre, same for 10.5 Dharma Branch
Krautmaster Wrote:hm is there a difference of installing xbmc-live out of a ppa instead of using [...]

Yes, I think Alan modified these scripts to generally restart XBMC. This is not part of the xbmc-live ppa install.
but how to perform a standard xbmc-live installation without this ppa or with, combined with a selfmade xbmc installation?

Is it possible to download the *.deb file and install manually? With apt-get would not work due to the manual xbmc installation.

Edit:

https://launchpad.net/~lars-opdenkamp/+a..._amd64.deb

from
https://launchpad.net/~lars-opdenkamp/+a.../+packages

I would perefer to build xbmc via GIT and then build xbmc-live too, but is there a git or svn for this?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Dharma and Shutdown Button0