[WINDOWS] Sources are no longer portable?
Having an external hard drive running XBMC Camelot with -p switch to make it portable, I have recently upgraded to Dharma. However, all my sources are no longer associated with the XBMC folder where they were stored. The folders were not even visible when browsing in XBMC.

I searched on the forum, got lost and scratched my head. I read that it the -p switch makes the new version look in the Portable Data folder, so I moved my movie and video files to there.

The logical method for me was as follows. To add the source, I clicked on [Home Folder] to take me to the Portable Data folder and selected my source folders. However the sources are assigned a lettered drive as the path. Meaning that if I have another USB device in my computer or using another computer, my drive thus has a different drive letter and my sources are no longer accessible as the library links are broken.

What am I doing wrong and how can I fix this?
With no suggestions forthcoming, I am reverting back to Camelot.

I like having my library on a stand alone external HDD that I can take anywhere and watch on any computer, it is a shame that Dharma has messed up the way it worked.
Portable mode works fine the only difference is it now creates a folder called "portable_data" this is where you now put your userdata folder

\Program Files\XBMC\portable_data\userdata
>>X<<' Wrote:Portable mode works fine the only difference is it now creates a folder called "portable_data" this is where you now put your userdata folder

\Program Files\XBMC\portable_data\userdata

I had already noticed that and had moved my files to XBMC\portable_data\userdata

Next I click on [Add Source]

Selected [Home Folder]

Selected [Source-Video] (where the movies are stored)

But the Source is still assigned a regular drive letter, in this case H: because I had a multi-card reader plugged in. When I plugged the drive back in with out the card reader there, it was now E: and all the links were broken.

It is not looking or assigning the source to the internal folder. Unless I am making a mistake in how this should be done.
you describing a windows issue, nothing XBMC can do if Windows changes the drive letter of your device. XBMC (99.99% of all other programs) will simply look at the drive letter you gave it.
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
The source path contains the Drive letter if that changes you cant use your old db or sources.xml as the paths are no longer the same

You can add the sources again under the new drive letter and browse by file mode but if you want to use the library your need to scan everything in again under that drive letter

The simplest thing to do is change the drive letter back to the original it had before then it will work again you do this under windows, you should always reserve that letter for that drive under windows as well if your adding and removing other external memory devices cant remember if just manually changing the letter does this or whether there are other steps involved

If its really going to be portable as in taking it to a friends or something then you should really set a high letter like Z or X as your need to set the letter on their PC as well and lower letters may already be in use and your hit the same problem
When running under Camelot, drive letters were irrelevant. I could plug my external drive into any computer and have the drive assigned any letter. XBMC would still find the correct source because it was looking internally.

Why can't Dharma do the same thing? Just looking for source folders with in the home folder, regardless of what drive it happened to be.
Livewireshock Wrote:When running under Camelot, drive letters were irrelevant. I could plug my external drive into any computer and have the drive assigned any letter. XBMC would still find the correct source because it was looking internally.

Why can't Dharma do the same thing? Just looking for source folders with in the home folder, regardless of what drive it happened to be.

If you can reproduce this in Camelot, and not in Dharma, then please post a bug in TRAC so it can be fixed.

I've been using XBMC for 6+ years (the last year or so in Portable mode) and I've never heard of this feature.
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
Livewireshock Wrote:When running under Camelot, drive letters were irrelevant. I could plug my external drive into any computer and have the drive assigned any letter. XBMC would still find the correct source because it was looking internally.

Knowing the db stores the exact path and that's what it uses I don't see how that's possible

At a guess I would say you where lucky and getting the same drive letter allocated on each PC it was used on, for example using Camelot you built your library on a system with only one hard drive and one optical drive so the drive letter for the external drive was E, plugging it into any PC with only two drives it always gets E

Try building your library in Camelot with your card reader plugged in so it gets H and I bet you get the same problem

Only way I know to do this in Camelot is to put your media source in the installation folder and use Q drive when adding it as a source
Please excuse any frustration or confusion I may have caused.

Yes, my sources were stored in XBMC installation folder and were added using the virtual Q: drive settings. Thus allowing the true portability and allowed the library to work regardless of what computer I had my drive plugged into.

It was something I had read online and thought it was common practice for most people with a portable drive setup.

Now it seems that I can not simply add the sources under the Q drive. Is there some sort of manual way of correcting this.
@Livewireshock

See my post about USB Drive Letter Manager here:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=4...post451744

It's a program I use so that USB device are assigned a set drive letter, so the first usb device gets X: then next gets Y: and so on. You can set the drive letter scheme how ever you want it. It will help in your situation. You'll just want to make sure the USB drive is the first one plugged in and it will always get the same drive letter.
Livewireshock Wrote:Please excuse any frustration or confusion I may have caused.

Yes, my sources were stored in XBMC installation folder and were added using the virtual Q: drive settings. Thus allowing the true portability and allowed the library to work regardless of what computer I had my drive plugged into.

It was something I had read online and thought it was common practice for most people with a portable drive setup.

Now it seems that I can not simply add the sources under the Q drive. Is there some sort of manual way of correcting this.

Yes Q drive has gone in Dharma I guess many didn't use it this way

mach170 Wrote:@Livewireshock

See my post about USB Drive Letter Manager here:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=4...post451744

It's a program I use so that USB device are assigned a set drive letter, so the first usb device gets X: then next gets Y: and so on. You can set the drive letter scheme how ever you want it. It will help in your situation. You'll just want to make sure the USB drive is the first one plugged in and it will always get the same drive letter.

Its actually better to reserve the drive letter for the external drive to a high letter as I said in my previous post because if you take it somewhere and their PC is using the lower letter you use then its not going to work windows can perform this function

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS] Sources are no longer portable?0