Aeon on an ION?
Hi Guys,

Is anyone running an Aeon skin on an ION machine? The current build of Aeon is slightly laggy on my XS35GT, it would be great if there was a stripped down, or a smaller version of the skin or mods of it.

Just wondering how some of our less powerful machines would go about handling Aeon.

This is just dreaming but maybe the new version will have a ION/Weaker Computer compatible version?

Thanks Smile
I was running Aeon65 for many months on an Asrock Ion 330HT but the only way i could get it to run smoothly was to overclock my cpu from 1.6ghz to 2.0ghz, i don't know if the shuttle has the facility to overclock. you could try looking in the bios.
Or better still dump Aeon in favour of a better skin try fusion it runs much better than aeon65 and the extremely bloated MQ2
XBMC Frodo 12 - Windows 7 - Asrock Ion 330HT - Aeon Nox
I run AeonMQ2 on my Asrock ION 330 machines and the performance is a tad sluggish due to the atom CPU, but overall I love it.

Overclock if you can, and use an SSD if possible for your OS/thumbnail drive
I don't believe I have the option to overclock, plus since there is no fan (passive cooling) overclocking would probably by a bad idea. I already have a SSD, but I think it's more of the CPU not having enough horsepower since this skin is not designed to run on an Atom.

I might give some other skins a try but Aeon is awesome, I was hoping that maybe the new version would be a little more atom friendly.
I have been working very hard on a new build of Aeon all new code targeted at ion/atv users atm i call it AEON Lite it is around 11mb built on top of jezz X slik skin will be ready very soon all views are complete and all full screen views are also complete home menu/ a lot of dialogs xml coding done still a lot of work to go but will have alpha testing in the next few weeks
CrashnBrn Wrote:I don't believe I have the option to overclock, plus since there is no fan (passive cooling) overclocking would probably by a bad idea. I already have a SSD, but I think it's more of the CPU not having enough horsepower since this skin is not designed to run on an Atom.

I might give some other skins a try but Aeon is awesome, I was hoping that maybe the new version would be a little more atom friendly.

I have read a while ago: you can disable view options you don't use, in the skin details. I haven't try'd it myself yet but that will make the skin act faster.

ZombieRobot Wrote:I have been working very hard on a new build of Aeon all new code targeted at ion/atv users atm i call it AEON Lite it is around 11mb built on top of jezz X slik skin will be ready very soon all views are complete and all full screen views are also complete home menu/ a lot of dialogs xml coding done still a lot of work to go but will have alpha testing in the next few weeks

That's good news Smile
Nvidia Shield 2019 Pro, Nvidia Shield 2015
Check here in the next coming weeks for alpha testing
It really is a beautiful work, certainly will make a great success. Nod

In this skin I think it would be great to work to make the Aeon MQ 3 who knows. Cool
paul Wrote:...Or better still dump Aeon in favour of a better skin try fusion it runs much better than aeon65 and the extremely bloated MQ2

I have now (for testing only) to Aeon MQ 2 full with about 110MB if you do not use. xbt, but the skin looks better because of this = no!
ZombieRobot Wrote:Check here in the next coming weeks for alpha testing

Wow that's exactly what I was looking for! That's fantastic work ZombieRobot! Do you have a thread dedicated to the skin yet?

Also what have you stripped out in order to get that tiny file size?

@MarcosQui: I might give Aeon MQ2 a try but I feel that it will be sluggish on the Ion, I like your MQ3 teaser info Big Grin
ZombieRobot Wrote:Check here in the next coming weeks for alpha testing

FANTASTIC! Would love to help out alpha testing if needed.
i have re used the same textures over and over instead of having multiple copys of the same textures a lot of aeon textures are not used and im sure this is what phil is doing to aeon65 2.0 i was working hard on evolution but came to a brick wall because i couldn't get the uncompressed textures it drove me nuts working around all the problems i was running into i could only see one way out and that was to re code the whole thing.
some of the larger textures that i am using have been compressed down a touch (about half the size of original ) without much noticeable changes they look great on my 1080p screen code wise it will take a long time to get it up to par with other aeon skins because it is a clusterfu#k of code to decipher also atm no genre images yet. its been crazy to try to build it as small as possible sometimes re creating some of the textures myself in photoshop but its getting there

oh yeah and for those who care it will have full pvr support thanks to Jezz X

It will be open alpha testing for everyone
ZombieRobot Wrote:i have re used the same textures over and over instead of having multiple copys of the same textures a lot of aeon textures are not used and im sure this is what phil is doing to aeon65 2.0 i was working hard on evolution but came to a brick wall because i couldn't get the uncompressed textures it drove me nuts working around all the problems i was running into i could only see one way out and that was to re code the whole thing.
some of the larger textures that i am using have been compressed down a touch (about half the size of original ) without much noticeable changes they look great on my 1080p screen code wise it will take a long time to get it up to par with other aeon skins because it is a clusterfu#k of code to decipher also atm no genre images yet. its been crazy to try to build it as small as possible sometimes re creating some of the textures myself in photoshop but its getting there

oh yeah and for those who care it will have full pvr support thanks to Jezz X

It will be open alpha testing for everyone

That's awesome! I wish that you could release these in some unofficial repo, it would be so much easier to install and updated!
This looks great, can't wait to have it running. Was going to post asking if anyone had any tips to getting the aeon skin running smooth on the atom chips.
I have the Asus AT3ION board and it's very sluggish running aeon. Is there anyone who has overclocked this board with success?
What do you mean laggy do you mean scrolling through your media as using dds for your fanart will help a lot with this as your GPU will do all the work not your CPU only downside is the files are much larger

Your other option is to cache your fanart at a lower resolution I got my parents an asrock and I have theirs set to cache the fanart at 720 which made a big improvement in all skins, if you don't mind larger dds files then that's the way to go Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Aeon on an ION?0