Have to restart lirc after boot before I can start XBMC with remote
I have a text-only minimal ubuntu install and installed xbmc on it. To run XBMC I use "xinit xbmc-standalone", and that works fine.

I made a global lircrc in /etc/lirc/lircrc that has a simple set up;

begin
button = Home
prog = irexec
config = /home/xbmc/startXMBC.sh &
end

startXBMC.sh does nothing more than "xinit xbmc-standalone"

When my system boots, it simply boots up and presents you with a login prompt. That's the way I want it because it is actually a home-server that is on 24/7, but I do not want to have xbmc running on the machine 24/7 so I chose to remove xbmc-live and not have it autostart xbmc on boot.

By pressing the home button on the remote, it should start XBMC.

When I log in (either via ssh or on the machine itself) and do sudo /etc/init.d/lirc restart, it simply restarts the lirc daemon and irexec and after that if I press the home button, it start xbmc just fine.

However, if I do not issue /etc/init.d/lirc restart after a (re)boot, pressing the home button seems to start XBMC, but instead it gets stuck on a small white screen in the top-left corner and doesn't display XBMC.

Going in with ssh and doing ps aux | grep xbmc, shows that it's running, but it's not visible. killing the process and issueing a lirc restart and then pressing the home button on the remote again makes sure that from then on it works.

Anyone have an idea what's going wrong and why I have to issue a restart for this to work straight after a (re)boot?
Same problem here under 12.04 - how did you get this fixed?

Any pointers?
Are you executing irexec on boot? If so how?
Same here with ubuntu 12.04 and xbmc 13 from git 13 February 2013
Same problem eith 12.04 lts and xbmc 12 release channel.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Have to restart lirc after boot before I can start XBMC with remote0