Onkyo HT-S3305: opinions
Question 
Hi there!

I've seen a quite good offer on the Onkyo HT-S3305 home cinema package, since I can get one for 329€. I think it's quite a good price.

My thoughts are that, for now, I will get a decent 5.1 setup that should sound much better than my current 2.0 10 year old stereo $100ish from LG (2x5W or 2x10W I believe) and I get quite a great A/V receiver from Onkyo, which I can later upgrade with better speakers from Infinity or W&B or Polk or whatever.

These will be used to listen to music and, of course, for movie watching.

From I what I've seen, similar A/V receivers from onkyo cost ~290€ the receiver alone (TX-SR3008). The included speakers are of course no Hi-fi stuff, but they'll be fine if they sound better than what I have now.

Any incoming is appreciated.

Patrick
I am already thinking about buying such a home-cinema package and I realised it will be much better to buy AV receiver and speakers separatelly.

HT-S3305 is the complete basic package from Onkyo and I am pretty sure you will be disappointed with the soud of the speakers. I hear them alredy in shopping centre - they sound really "plastic".

This is the reason why I decided to buy it separatelly. I will buy AV receiver Onkyo TX-SR508 - also bacis model, but supporting second listening zone - bathroom in my case Laugh - and then step by step buy wooden speakers. Firstly front stereo, then subwoofer, later center and finally surround.

Think about it.
Before you buy this package, try to listen to it somewhere.
Thanks for answering. I went this morning to have a look at it, but I couldn't listen to it. However, I don't have any doubts now: the AV receiver looked great, but the speakers... that's another story, they felt really, really cheap;

I didn't expected high quality speakers, but those... oh dear.
I LOVE Onkyo receivers, but for speakers shoot for a speaker company.

I got the Onkyo HT-S7100 package a couple years ago and have been quite happy, speakers and all. At the time it was on special @ vanns.com for around $600 US. The only problem is a delay at times for the HDMI handshake.
-stoli-
Yeah... the onkyo receivers look very good and I've seen people are happy with them. Problem right now is I don't have the cash to afford an Onkyo Receiver + decent 2.0 speakers, and I'm afraid that this set won't provide a better 2.0 sound than what I already have, although I'm not really sure about that.

Looking around I've seen I may buy a Pioneer 5.1 receiver (5x130W, 2 HDMI in) and 2xJBL ES20 speakers (125W ecach) for about 350€, which is not too bad, but I think I'd prefer an Onkyo unit plus a pair of Polks or Kefs for a bit more. Also, I don't think the ES20 are wooden.

By the way, the included receiver seems to be similar to the Onkyo TX-SR308, but the included one only drives a Passive Subwoofer, whereas the SR308 makes use of active one; I'm afraid that if I finally bought the set, later it will be hard to find a decent passive subwoofer.

As always, I don't know really what to do: on side side I think I can buy the 5.1 set and in summer buy some JBL, Polk or KEF speakers. On the other side, I'm really afraid I won't like the speakers (even though I've never owned high quality audio stuff) and, if that happens, I won't be happy and if things get worse and I can't afford new speakers as expected..

Anyway, thanks to all for the input!
PatrickVogeli Wrote:but I think I'd prefer an Onkyo unit plus a pair of Polks or Kefs for a bit more.

Nod

Crazy sale on Monitor 50's right now:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6882290204

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Onkyo HT-S3305: opinions0