SQL Slowness...
I was hoping the official Dharma 10.0 would fix it -- Anyone running XBMC live on ubtuntu (or any linux for that matter) still seeing slowness when database access is occurring? Was there a workaround figured out?

I found that when using Aeon, if I turned off the widget to display library totals it sped up the menu (saved that DB access) but any other time the DB is queried, it's still noticeably very very slow.

Thanks for any insight.
BDPNA Wrote:Was there a workaround figured out?

Get a SSD drive maybe? The low seek times makes that database fly.

The weird thing is that the DB flies on my hard wired mac mini running Dharma, just not on my hard wired Linux box running Dharma. The linux box even has more memory and a better processor.

DB is hosted on a Win7 system (also fast). So the Linux box is accessing it remotely.
People have posted solutions to 'slow' database. Has to do with host resolving or something.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
Thanks. I'll dig through some past posts and see if I can find it.
If host resolving is the problem, then perhaps it's best to use IP addresses instead of hostnames. It works best for me as well when exporting/importing XBMC databases on different machines (Win + Linux).
Klojum Wrote:If host resolving is the problem, then perhaps it's best to use IP addresses instead of hostnames. It works best for me as well when exporting/importing XBMC databases on different machines (Win + Linux).

I think it has to do with the reverse. The MySQL server doesn't know what to do with the host that is connecting.

Editing the hosts file on the Server may speed things up.
Code:
I'm pretty sure I used IP addresses for all my shares on the linux machine in the mappings and on the server as well...So no resolving needed.

What would I edit in hosts.ini on my Win7 server that might speed up access for the Linux box?
Add your linux box to the hosts file. I'll leave the location of Windows 7's hosts file up to the reader.

Try running mysql with the option --skip-name-resolve

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=5...post561160
Code:

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SQL Slowness...0