• 8(current)
Linux HOW-TO compile XBMC from a GIT source
X3lectric Wrote:updated first post and script a little more made it simpler and cleaner, Whoever wants to contribute feels free to do so. Thank you.

Much cleaner FIPO! Thanks for the update Smile.

Althoug I find one thing confusing.

When I run the ./XBMC_build_git.sh command, I need to run it without <> signs.

Althoug technically this is also working because the <-sign is passing the refresh command to the command, and the > command is exporting it correctly, I wandering why you post it like this.

Are you trying to Verbose the output? Should the correct command than not be:
./XBMC_build_git.sh refresh > /dev/null
not trying to SILENCE verbose output if anythig it should be logged but I dont really use this script, Its only posted to help others, I've tested it, works and that's it. Updated the <> its supposed to have a not, which now has.

cheers.
I don't known if it's appropriate topic, but... Is there any PPA to get the last compiled GIT source (Maverick)?

I wouldn't like to install a lot of packages to compile a new version of XBMC.
As the topic suggests this is to compile from source, you want to google xbmc unstable ppa or if you read first post it is really hiding in plain sight.
X3lectric Wrote:As the topic suggests this is to compile from source, you want to google xbmc unstable ppa or if you read first post it is really hiding in plain sight.

@X3, Sorry for another dumb question. Is there any advantage between compile last version from GIT or simply install last version from XBMC PPA (https://launchpad.net/~team-xbmc/+archive/unstable):

Code:
sudo apt-get install python-software-properties pkg-config
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:team-xbmc/unstable
sudo apt-get install xbmc
joeld Wrote:@X3, Sorry for another dumb question. Is there any advantage between compile last version from GIT or simply install last version from XBMC PPA (https://launchpad.net/~team-xbmc/+archive/unstable):

Code:
sudo apt-get install xbmc

Its actually
Code:
apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade xbmc xbmc-live
As for advantages yes there is, the ppa version is compiled every night irrespective if thers fixes to bugs or new code for Linux, it also has no bluray support by default, no NFS support by default, if your a ATI/intel GPU user it has no libvaa support enabled and its generic compile all non free components are disabled because of licensing restrictions. PPA version is easier to install and faster.

Compiling is more flexible even though it requires you to download a copy of git to your HDD and install all required dependencies to a setup directory, and allows you to decide what to enable depending on your needs.

That's how I see it, put simply?

As to which is you want is up to you.

You can always install a ppa after ontop or vice-versa it works both ways as the compile instructions go.
./configure --prefix=/usr --enable-vdpau --disable-pulse --disable-crystalhd;

Code:
checking for main in -lGL... no
configure: error: Could not find a required library. Please see the README for your platform.

What is missing?

Ubuntu Minimal 10.10 (Maverick)

Edit: Solved.
Code:
ln -fs /usr/lib/libGL.so.275.09.07 /usr/lib/libGL.so
Reference: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1437143
Excellent, nicely done, I presume as well that you added the extra Maverick dependency, (autopoint) as is on 1st post FAQ?

Is it working ok?

If I have space Ill add that as ref to main post.
Thumbs Up 
Actually I simply installed libs from first post, but i think when executed "apt-get build-dep xbmc -y" was installed missing dependencies including autopoint. I didn't remember anything else has been installed.

Except from issue above, I hadn't any other issue. Everything works flawlessly Nod but i didn't see big improvements, It was keeping to lost some frames (11 to 15) when video starts and resolution change from 60Hz to 24Hz.

Yes, it updates XBMC versions to 11-pre build from GIT 20110711
ok to clear things up, The FAQ include a maverick FAQ (add autopoint).

Secondly the dropped frames doens't mean that compiling will FIX this problem 100%, you still should have a decent XORG.CONF see my signature for judder fixes and more.

Finally refresh rate != resolution changes form 60HZ to 24HZ (NOT resolution) resolution is the screen size e.g 1920x1080 (full HD), this is how pre-eden is supposed to work (read the judder link on my signature for more info on that), essentially XBMC GUI runs at 60HZ but your movie may be 25fps, 30fps or 24fps (variable and depending on source), if you have sync playback to display enabled as you should this is perfectly NORMAL.

As for starting a video playback and having some dropped frames is more to due to quality of file and audio timestamps and proper encoding. A problem would be if after playback you keep getting frames dropping often and visibly.

I often start playback and I have anything from 0 dropped frames to around 20 and then thats it no more.
X3lectric Wrote:Secondly the dropped frames doens't mean that compiling will FIX this problem 100%, you still should have a decent XORG.CONF see my signature for judder fixes and more.

OK. It's already well configured following your excelent tutorial.

X3lectric Wrote:Finally refresh rate != resolution changes form 60HZ to 24HZ (NOT resolution) resolution is the screen size e.g 1920x1080 (full HD), this is how pre-eden is supposed to work (read the judder link on my signature for more info on that), essentially XBMC GUI runs at 60HZ but your movie may be 25fps, 30fps or 24fps (variable and depending on source), if you have sync playback to display enabled as you should this is perfectly NORMAL.

As for starting a video playback and having some dropped frames is more to due to quality of file and audio timestamps and proper encoding. A problem would be if after playback you keep getting frames dropping often and visibly.

I just wanted to test whether these problems might be solved with a new build. Not solved.

I do not know if this is normal. All my files have this problem, have tested more than 20. If I change the refresh rate of 24Hz for the XBMC GUI, the video starts with no frame droped, but the menus are bad. If I keep the GUI at 60Hz when the movie starts, it starts with 10 or 12 frames dropped.

X3lectric Wrote:I often start playback and I have anything from 0 dropped frames to around 20 and then thats it no more.

Ok, during movie playback, everything works fine, 10 to 30 dropped frames at all.

OFF: X3, thanks for your excellent help. Your tutorials and dedication for this community are awesome, I'm following some topics that you contribute, helped me a lot. It's a pleasure to talk with you.
Ah ok your NOT supposed to run XBMC GUI at 24hz, the refresh rate change is how its supposed to work.

Yes do read other topics, surely how I managed to get a solid HTPC, though its a lot of work.

As for files if they are downloaded its expected to be less than desirable.

Thx for you kind words, see you around and good luck.
I've got no problems at all. I'm just dropping in to give you some credit, X3lectric. Cheers.
syk3d Wrote:I've got no problems at all. I'm just dropping in to give you some credit, X3lectric. Cheers.

hey thanks, np.

btw what the heck is a terminator. I mean I seen robots from future but a gremlin terminator? Eek

cheers
It's the Cheshire Cat, sent back from the future to blow your mind.
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW-TO compile XBMC from a GIT source12