[LIVE] No downmixing in XBMC 10.0? DTS static. How to turn off passthrough with HDMI?
Hi guys.

I'm loving the 10.0 Live install, but I haven't been able to get any DTS audio playback going. This is the same setup as with XBMC Live 9.11, so I know something's changed, or I missed tweaking something that I did to the old install 1 year ago.

Basically I've got a Zotac 9300 ION motherboard setup, HDMI out directly to my Sony EX-700 TV, then both optical and analog out to a nice sound bar and sub.

With XBMC 9.11, DTS and DD was being downmixed and sent out over HDMI just fine. With XBMC 10.0 downmixing isn't working and passthrough is enabled and I can't seem to turn it off.

How do I turn all passthrough with HDMI? Is there a tweak needed to kick downmixing into effect?

All MP3 audio plays fine, as does the menu sound effects.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. I tore down a 1 year old working setup to upgrade to 10.0 and it looks awesome so far. I just need DTS working.

Thanks!

-Under
Oh I wanted to add that the System Audio setting screen has changed in 10.0 so you basically only have HDMI selection, which won't let you disable passthrough. I can't remember 100% but in XBMC 9.11, you could select Digital, not allow for passthrough, and set the output to HDMI by manually specifying the device.

How can I do this again with 10.0? Thanks!
Hi there

isnt that an asoundrc issue such as this

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=78592

If not it may be a 10.0 version change, I havent upgraded my main system yet since I'm waiting for the karmic ppa to be updated.

Thanks

Ed
Uncheck "Receiver can handle DTS /DD".
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
Great, lost my post on a forum timeout...

Thanks for the replies.

DTS and DD are off. I expect downmixing to only matter if they were disabled. Passthrough can't be disabled in 10.0.

So with 10.0 Release, popular Zotac and ION HTPCs don't have default HDMI working (without unmuting from the Alsa mixer) and HDMI menu audio (without editing the .asoundrc), and downmixing doesn't seem to work. (unsolved) I tried custom HDMI devices as well, but same results. 10.0 is using the device correctly when selecting HDMI.

With 9.11 you could select Digital/Analog and disable passthrough. Here with HDMI, passthrough is always on, and turning off DTS and DD make no difference. I get no audio with DTS and DD off. Static with them on.

I think I'm going to spend the day with XBMCFreak 10.00 Maverick and see if I have better luck.

I'll trying upgrading Alsa, but Alsa is incredibly finicky. In my experience, if Alsa is working, don't touch it. If its not, good luck because there's little clear information on how to sort it out.
Ok, here's a clue that I haven't seen on any other threads. Maybe it was just obvious, or nobody had any problem with their HDMI audio out of the box. Don't know.

HDMI, DTS/DD off, and speakers at 2.0, nothing more. I now get downmixed sound from DTS/DD audio. Set it to 2.1 or higher and no sound.

I know some of you will think/say, "Of course you idiot, you can't have 5.1 output without DTS/DD on and something able to handle the signal!", well that's not how 9.11 worked. If the 2.0 was the only option for DTS/DD downmixing, then I recommend that the UI should grey this option out like other such settings. BTW I was messing with things so much, flipping back to movies, etc..., changing settings, that I'm not sure if I tested 2.0 with DTS/DD off with HDMI working, with a DTS movie initially.

Anyways, thanks for the replies. Now I can relax enjoy that goodness that is PM3 on XBMC 10.0.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE] No downmixing in XBMC 10.0? DTS static. How to turn off passthrough with HDMI?0