• 1(current)
CBR/CBZ Comic Book Parser and Reader
first, sorry for my poor english, i'm french

1/ can you include a comics reader feature in xbmc ? (comics are usually in jpeg format or .zip).
many peoples download comics and other document like this on the net but currently there's no apps for this on xbox.
the "my pictures" functionnality already does a part of my request (with the slideshow feature), but here we need to display the jpeg in fullscreen (full width) and we need ability to scroll with the pad to view the rest of the jpeg (from top to bottom).
afetr we can press the a button to go to next page (it's an example)

2/ can you include a new feature to display some rss newsfeeds ?
ability to sort newsfeeds by subjects, languages, interests ...
in other way, a feature to display rss feeds of our choice, to do this sort of things.

thanks in advance for your answer(s)
i'm already a huge fan of xbmp since the first day and i wish you success for this new baby.

( please send me an email if you didn't understand anything with my questions :d )
ok if i explain what i tried maybe it'd be easier.

in my music i wanted to put a "my radio stations sub category" which contained a link to shoutcast .pls files i'd saved on my xbox, and a samba share link to the streams i had shared on my pc (which tends to get updated more regularly). however when i tried to do this- it wouldn't work this is what i tried:

<music>
<bookmark>
<name>internet radio</name>
<bookmark>
<name>xbmc stored radio stations</name>
<path>$home\radio</path>
</bookmark>

<bookmark>
<name>my radio stations (on pc)</name>
<path>smb://my-computer/radio</path>
</bookmark>

</bookmark>
</music>

secondly, i dunno if many people would actually require this but i get quite a lot of comics (amazing spiderman and fantastic four) which are archived as .cbz and .cbr files (essentially they a rar'ed files with the extensions renamed so they can be associated with the awesome cdisplay program).

it would be nice if i could use xbmc to read them in there compressed format, although this may be a bit too much to expect even from you guys :d
again xbmc is a media centre, not an os with all programs you personnaly like/want
main purpose for xbmc is playing audio/video files and viewing your (vacation) photo's

reading text/comics or whatever is not going 2 b part of xbmc
neither are the following items which get requested over and over again:

- web-browser ala mozilla/firebird
- email reader ala outlook (express)
- msn or any other messenger program
- personal agenda/pim
-

we just got 64 megs so we gotta be picky what we want and dont want. at the moment there's not much left, xbmc is already getting bloated with 2 many options or features

frodo
XBMC Project Founder (Retired), now head programmer of MediaPortal
yeah i thought it was a bit of a long shot, although the premise of being able to view jpegs that are conatined in a rar file, may have some use other than for comic books?
please add comics support to xbmc, current comic format uses rar or zip as container and jpeg as pages. most are : .cbr (.rar renamed) and .cbz (.zip renamed), there is a good example of comic reader here:
http://www.geocities.com/davidayton/cdisplay

i could code a unrar and unzip warper for xbmc if someone does some gui.

thanks
max
please check the development forum. somebody was porting unrar to the xbox but never completed it seems. would be great if you could do so.

ts
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
i already coded a xbox version of unrar (complex tools), it's only matter of integrate it into xbmc.
i'll look into.
since i don't know the xbmc architecture yet. pointing fingers welcomed.
support for zip should by trivial also.
problem is:  rar could be solid, which mean, for subtitles and small stuff, is allright since they're small.
but for big rar files, some kind of temporary space should be used.
z: is the xbox temporary drive for caching stuff.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

z:\ maybe to small, i think is only 768mb. my first tought was implement it like a directory, but if xbmc want to stream from the rar some other method should be implemented. some kind of special cases should be made. examples like, if you want to stream an avi, seek should be disabled. maybe some preferences like, filesystem_seekable=false;.
here is a python comic reader, might be helpful (it's not ported on xbox) http://kai.vm.bytemark.co.uk/~piman/superchick/
i love the latest version of your xbmc, it's easy to use, useful, and it looks good to.

i was wondering if you could add a comic book reader to the x-box media center. there is program that allows you to read back-up comic books. you take the comic book scans and you put them into a rar/zip file and you change the extension to cbz. once zipped you don't have to worry about organizing a whole bunch of comic book pages, the zip acts as on complete comic. esentially it is a picture viewer that reads pics directly from the zip file.

it would be a great addition to the xmc. perhaps you could work with cdisplay comic reader http://www.geocities.com/davidayton/cdisplay or maybe you can make your own. i try to reread my comics on my computer, but it is very tedious. with the controller and a series of video settings adjustment options it could really make reading copies of your comic books off your hard drive great. goto cdisplay forum to find out more about the cdisplay comic reader.
the 'image adjustment' features used in cdisplay would probably be useful in non-comic contexts as well.

automatic colour balance/yellow-adjustment etc would be useful for photos/scans. could be added as part of the 'my pictures' configuration?
i saw one older post on the matter that didn't get a lot of discusion.

i would love to see cbz and cbr comic archive reading capability added into the image viewer. basically a way to open a zip archive and vierw the images sequentially.

i had a look around and didn't see this one any official comming soon feature lists, so i thought i would mention it Smile
Exclamation 
is it possible to add support for the cdz, and cdr formats? as far as i know it looks like a renamed zip and rar files with jpgs inside them? xbmc can read jpgs already, doesn't sound too xomplicated, but then again i am no pro Rolleyes
its cbr/cbz- i askes this a long time ago and the answer was no then- but seeing as this is inherently linked to rar support which may be in the works- then maybe it isn't a massive leap to this

maybe if the author was contacted and asked if he wouldn't mind sharing the source code Huh
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
CBR/CBZ Comic Book Parser and Reader0