Another HDMI with Navigation Sound Issue
I've been searching all of last night and this morning on trying to get Navigations sounds working via hdmi, with no success.

I've searched "asoundrc +hdmi" and "navigation +hdmi" and have read multiple posts on the issue, but no clear precise answers on how to fix it.

First, in XBMC (latest version), my audio settings are all set to HDMI, and Boost Volume, DD (AC3) and DTS all checked on. I have sound from all my videos and music collections. Just missing the navigation sounds.

I've tried modifying both the /etc/asound.conf and creating and adding an .asoundrc file

I'm actually a little uncertain if the .asoundrc file belongs in either the
/home/user/.soundrc or in
/home/user/.xbmc/.soundrc

but all attempts so far to get the navigation sounds working have failed. When running "aplay -l" my hdmi is on card 0, device 3 as shown
Quote:**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: ALC887 Analog [ALC887 Analog]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 1: ALC887 Digital [ALC887 Digital]
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]

My current /etc/asound.conf file looks like this
Quote:pcm.!default {
type plug
slave {
pcm "hdmi"
}
}

pcm.!hdmi-remap {
type asym
playback.pcm {
type plug
slave.pcm "remap-surround71"
}
}

pcm.!remap-surround71 {
type route
slave.pcm "hw:0,3"
ttable {
0.0= 1
1.1= 1
2.4= 1
3.5= 1
4.2= 1
5.3= 1
6.6= 1
7.7= 1
}
}

and my .asoundrc file is also currently this:
Quote:pcm.!default {
type plug
slave {
pcm "hdmi"
}
}

The only thing I not tried and am hesitant to do so is download the asound.conf file from pastebin that I've seen others try doing.

So after searching and searching. Does anyone have a clear answer on getting navigation sound via hdmi?
I also had the problem with no navigation sounds and fixed it

just added the lines

pcm.!default {
type plug
slave {
pcm "hdmi"
}
}

to /home/<username>/.asoundrc and restarted XBMC
I have a TV in the bedroom that has no audio receiver hooked up. The settings that work for me after modifying the .asoundrc is to set the output to Analog and the device to hdmi.
@ral67

I already had tried adding that to the .asoundrc file with no luck.

and @FishOil

I tried changing to those setting, but still didn't have any sound.

Anybody have any thoughts on why navigation sounds over HDMI would not be working? FYI. I'm connected directly into the HDMI of a TV here in our family room.
Here is an .asoundrc that worked for me. It goes in the root of the home directory. As in /home/xbmc/.asoundrc

YMMV

Code:
pcm.dmixer {
type dmix
ipc_key 1024
ipc_key_add_uid false
ipc_perm 0660
slave {
pcm "hw:0,3"
rate 48000
channels 2
period_time 0
period_size 1024
buffer_time 0
buffer_size 4096
}
}

pcm.!default {
type plug
slave.pcm "dmixer"
}
nope, that asoundrc file doesn't work either.

I even went and followed this post here (backing up first) and tried step 14 here as others mentioned, but still no navigation sounds. Everything else seems to work good except the nav sounds.

I'm running out of ideas to try. Any other suggestions to look at?
Thumbs Up 
try this: ~/.arsoundrc

Code:
#Initialisierung HDMI-Device

pcm.snd_card {
        type hw
        card 0
        device 3
}

ctl.snd_card {
        type hw
        card 0
        device 3
}

#Software-Mixer via ALSA-Soundserver

pcm.dmixer {
    type dmix
    ipc_key 1024
    ipc_perm 0666  
    slave.pcm "snd_card"
    slave {
        period_time 0
        period_size 1024
        buffer_size 4096
        # rate 44100
        channels 2
    }
    bindings {
        0 0
        1 1
    }
}

pcm.!default {
    type plug
    slave.pcm "dmixer"
}

XBMC-Config:
Audio output -> HDMI
Audio output device -> Custom -> plug:default
AC3/DTS pass-through -> Custom -> plughw:0,3

..then exit XBMC und open Alsamixer to see, that your HDMI-Device isn't off/mute.. F6 -> change Card "Nvidia HDA HDMI".. there must be a "OO" not a "M"!.. then reboot your System.

PS: you can do sudo cp ~/.asoundrc /etc/asound.conf before reboot..

MDKeil
@MDKeil

Well, I gave that a shot, and same result as the others. No navigation sounds. I do continue to have sound on all the media I've been randomly testing, just no nav sounds.

In alsamaster, I have everything unmuted as well, including spdif.

I also am using the onboard audio only, with no extra cards in the machine, and alsa is set to use that audio.

So, back to square 1 again. I have sound running in xbmc for all the media, yet no navigation sounds.

And what is again interesting is the different .asoundrc files to test with. I'm surprised there hasn't been a universal fix/mod to get the navigation sounds to work.

I can live without the nav sounds, but will continue to seek any other advice, tips, etc.

Thanks
PT
Can you connect any speakers/headphones to analog soundcard output and check if navigation sound is there?
Personally I don't use the nav sounds, the little beeps and bleeps, sweeps and creeps, kind of are off putting for me (and I did spend a HECK of a long time trying to play the tune to funky town once).
But I've noticed, that if I have working MP3's (inclusive of the AVI's), then the nav sounds will play.

I recently (over the weekend), upgraded to a GT430 video card and had to get audio via HDMI, a real feat I must admit.

But I did get it working with help from:
The Wiki and my friend google.

But, I found a few things ... Using the wiki, set me up with the basics but tweaking my asound.conf with:

pcm.!default hdmi:NVidia

That worked for 5 restarts of XBMC, nothing changed, just stopped working

What I have working now is:

pcm.!default {
type hw
card 0
device 9
}
ctl.!default {
type hw
card 0
device 9
}

I've concluded, ALSA can be just like a female ... You press all the right buttons, buy them flowers, trinkets and baubles, and it responds accordingly, you are treated with pure delight ... But then, out of nowhere, the b1tch craps in your washing machine!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Another HDMI with Navigation Sound Issue0