Mac mini - Have to do video calibration after every reboot
I have the later model mac mini as well with HDMi running 10.6.6 Mac OS and XBMC 10.0-RC2 R35567. I have the mac mini routed to a denon receiver as well for HDMI switching and outputted to a samsung LCD TV. I have two profiles setup - one for the TV and one for my projector - this requires individual calibration profiles within XBMC. I have not had any issues with xbmc losing the calibration settings in either profile.

In the mac settings, i have the output set to 1080i - are you able to use 1080i resolution with your setup?
sting2010 Wrote:I have the later model mac mini as well with HDMi running 10.6.6 Mac OS and XBMC 10.0-RC2 R35567. I have the mac mini routed to a denon receiver as well for HDMI switching and outputted to a samsung LCD TV. I have two profiles setup - one for the TV and one for my projector - this requires individual calibration profiles within XBMC. I have not had any issues with xbmc losing the calibration settings in either profile.

In the mac settings, i have the output set to 1080i - are you able to use 1080i resolution with your setup?

I tested with the mini outputting 1080i and 720p. Same results either way.

What is the native resolution of your LCD? My plasma, a Pioneer PDP-6070, is 1365 x 768. Over HDMI, it only accepts 1080i and 720p at 60Hz and 1080p at 24Hz.

It's interesting that you are not having issues. I see the same issue among Boxee, Plex and XBMC.
acribb Wrote:I tested with the mini outputting 1080i and 720p. Same results either way.

What is the native resolution of your LCD? My plasma, a Pioneer PDP-6070, is 1365 x 768. Over HDMI, it only accepts 1080i and 720p at 60Hz and 1080p at 24Hz.

It's interesting that you are not having issues. I see the same issue among Boxee, Plex and XBMC.

The native resolution of my tv is 1920x1080 - it will accept 1080i, 1080p at 24Hz or 60Hz. I have the receiver setup to pass though the video and not to upscale etc that denon receivers allows you to do.

do you have remote desktop running to monitor your mac mini from another mac at the time you launch xbmc or switching sources on the receiver
sting2010 Wrote:The native resolution of my tv is 1920x1080 - it will accept 1080i, 1080p at 24Hz or 60Hz. I have the receiver setup to pass though the video and not to upscale etc that denon receivers allows you to do.

do you have remote desktop running to monitor your mac mini from another mac at the time you launch xbmc or switching sources on the receiver

So you have a 1080p tv, which I think most do these days. I bought my 60" about 4 years ago and it was a lot of money back then. 1080p was just outrageous 4 years ago.

As mentioned earlier, the Denon is set to just pass through like yours.

I wish someone with a tv with similar 720p like resolution would test for me....

I have screen sharing enabled on the Mac mini. I thought about this too, and have tested while screen sharing from my MacBook Pro to the Mac mini and while not screen sharing from the MacBook Pro to the Mac mini and end up with the same result after switching HDMI sources.

You bring up a good thinking point though. I also have Logmein installed.

I wonder if the Logmein daemon is causing the issue?

Or maybe the fact that screen sharing is enabled on the Mac mini?
**UPDATE**

I lined up a Finder window in the bottom left corner of my plasma and then proceeded to switch HDMI sources back and forth. Low and behold, that Finder window shifted around randomly, just like the Video Calibration in XBMC. I must not have noticed it previously because of the default overscan.

I also installed Windows 7 x64 and the same exact thing happens.

So it must be an issue where the HDMI syncs itself to a random position with my 1365 x 768 plasma. This position varies from 3 pixels in width to as much as 11 pixels in width horizontally and/or vertically. I can only assume that the non 1:1 pixel mapping with what the mini is outputting (either 720p or 1080i) is causing this issue to occur.

For now, setting the Mac mini to output 1080i combined with setting a good amount of overscan in the XBMC Video Calibration minimizes the problem.

I'm hoping this won't occur on a 1080p plasma since it will be 1:1 pixel mapping.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Mac mini - Have to do video calibration after every reboot0