[XBMC Live] HDMI Output - Have Video, but No Sound
I posted this in general help the other day when I realized it should be here (didn't know how to move it from one forum to another)

I recently bought a FoxxConn i330 and installed XBMCFreak's latest (maverick v2) via the LiveCD install onto a USB disk. I am running HDMI out to my Onkyo 605 receiver which passes it up to my Samsung TV. I have changed the audio options to HDMI (all 3 places) and have no sound VIA HDMI no matter what I have tried.

Last night I connected the same setup direct to a HDMI connection on another TV (had to deselect the DD receiver options) and both video AND sound are working. Which can only mean to me this is related to my Onkyo 605 receiver.

I have searched the forum and the best I have found related to this receiver is that someone changed the video to 720p and this allowed them to get sound. I can't find any type of option for this. Is this done in the video options?

Not sure if this is related or not, but I have noticed every time I reboot I have to change the video size on the TV from 16:9 to "Just Scan" otherwise the XBMC screen is always just a bit too for the TV.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Unkis
You should try this, it really help me.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...ideo+setup
theloko61,

Thanks for the link, I saw this and left a reply wondering if this would work on the FoxConn 330i as well. I didn't see any posts back on it as of yet, but I'm guessing it should work. I know a lot of these type PCs use almost all the same hardware.

Unkis
Often it is the output which is set to mute.

Connect to your xbmc box with a terminal. And type
alsamixer

Check all the HDMI output are not set to MUTE ("M"). Be sure to check all the output (press F6) to check all the device.
I installed the same build to my Foxconn a few days ago - just had to go into Audio Mixer under programs and uncheck on of the boxes to ensure sound was working Cool
Sound works fine when I don't have the receiver in-line. Which is why I am wondering if anyone has experience with an Onkyo 605.
I have an ASRock 330 connected to an Onkyo 608 via HDMI. I did have problems with the default install of XBMCFreaks Maverick v3 build that I could not get any sound over HDMI. I ended up creating the following file

/etc/asound.conf

pcm.!default {
type hw
card 0
device 3
}

ctl.!default {
type hw
card 0
}

Note - This works with the ASRock and the card/device numbers will likely be different for your setup. Run aplay -l to get a list of your devices

xbmc@XBMCLive:~$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: VT1708S Analog [VT1708S Analog]
Subdevices: 2/2
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 1: VT1708S Digital [VT1708S Digital]
Subdevices: 1/1
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
Subdevices: 0/1

I then configured HDMI in the System settings in XBMC and suddenly I had sound in the menus and while watching content. Before I had this setup, the HDMI light on the front of the Onkyo would not stay on (the OSD for the AVR showed analogue audio and 1080p video). Once I made the change, the HDMI light stays on and I know get 2 channel PCM in the XBMC menus and whatever (DTS, Dobly Digital, etc.) when watching content.

I did not book mark the place in the forum that helped me out but if I find it I will post it. I hope that helps. It is frustrating getting all this stuff working. It took me two nights of searching the forums and wiki sites to get all the issues I had working properly.

Good luck

Toby
I have exactly the same problem. HDMI out to my Onkyo 605 receiver which passes it up to my TV results in video but no sound ('no signal'). Plugging the same HDMI connection to the TV gets me sound and video so it has the be the Onkyo. Really rather fed up with this as have tried all the settings and googled this issue all over and no success.

unkis17 Wrote:I have changed the audio options to HDMI (all 3 places) and have no sound VIA HDMI no matter what I have tried.
I heard that you shouldn't set HDMI to yes in the hardware section as this tries to send the sound signal to the TV rather than your speakers. But who knows since it doesn't work on my (simple) set-up anyway...

unkis17 Wrote:Sound works fine when I don't have the receiver in-line. Which is why I am wondering if anyone has experience with an Onkyo 605.
So does this mean you got it working; if so, what do you mean by "in-line"?
fieldrt (Toby),

I did exactly what you have and no go. My analog and digital devices are different than yours, but my Device 3 is identical so I created the conf file and no dice?

I am wondering should there be an additional "device 3" at the end of the "ctl.!default" grouping? I don't know much about Linux.

Any chance on finding that thread or an idea what to search for?

Unkis
esc9 & anyone else with a Onkyo 605,

So I took the baby gate down and noticed a small button I couldn't see. There is a "digital input" button around the middle of the bottom button row. I had pressed it till I got HDMI1 (which is where my PC is plugged into.) Then go into the Receiver setup (use the monitor out screen for ease). Go down to "Hardware Setup" -> HDMI. The first option is Audio Out, should be set to "Off." This option will pass the sound to TV, you don't want that. Everything is working. Removed the asound.conf just to see what happens and everything is working.

One Major Problem solved. Configuration issues almost complete.
Unkis
Hi,

My set-up is ASROCK HT, Ubuntu 10.10, kernel 2.6.37, connected to an LG TV, via HDMI,and I have a problem with the sound.
I get sounds when testing in Ubuntu, I get the menu sounds in XBMC, I get sound when watching the play channels via XOT-UZG, but I get no sound when watching movies (h264, XVid, DVD...).
The system was working, and then I unthinkingly ok'd an upgrade in Ubuntu which rocked things. The sound worked, but the remote (nuvoton) did not. I read that the remote should work with a different kernel, so I upgraded from 2.6.35 to 2.6.37. The sound disappeared, and the remote is no closer to working. Any good suggestions? Should I re-install from scratch? Can ite be saved, and made to work? It is soo good when it does...Eek

EDIT: In XBMC I set the Audio output (under systems-settings-Audio) to Analog, now, I get all sounds. Still no joy on the remote, however.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[XBMC Live] HDMI Output - Have Video, but No Sound0