• 3(current)
[RELEASE] Wireless Manager (Wicd based) Addon for Linux
Quote:I havent played with or looked at your script but if indeed it uses wicd-curses there is a better solution that eliminates the guess work for the delay.

Absolutely, that is an alternative. I haven't tested it though and and a comment is that you probably want xbmc to start eventually without network? But I think we skip this topic for now. It is not really the focus of my add-on. If I would implement anything myself I would make a 40sec loop in runXBMC checking for network and optionally certain critical resources like NAS.
vikjon0 Wrote:Absolutely, that is an alternative. I haven't tested it though and and a comment is that you probably want xbmc to start eventually without network? But I think we skip this topic for now. It is not really the focus of my add-on. If I would implement anything myself I would make a 40sec loop in runXBMC checking for network and optionally certain critical resources like NAS.

I wasn't really suggesting you include it into your script. It was a suggestion for people using your script that need a delay.

It will also work for people who have used the [LIVE] HOW-TO easily configure wireless network for XBMC Live installations that also uses wicd-curses.
vikjon0 i cant seem to install the wireless manager.
I keep getting the error installation failed when i use te zip file with internet acces and when i use the version you dont have to have internet for i get the error update failed.
im using dharma 10.0 live installed to HD i have already installed wicd in the console.
Quote:vikjon0 i cant seem to install the wireless manager.
I keep getting the error installation failed when i use te zip file with internet acces and when i use the version you dont have to have internet for i get the error update failed.
im using dharma 10.0 live installed to HD i have already installed wicd in the console.

You are talking about the installation of the actual add-on? I mean you have not got as far as any wireless stuff?
The problem is not that you have installed wicd your self, that is completly ok.
Not sure what it can be. Can you do it again with debug enabled and post the log? My only other suggestion is to manually delete the add-on folder including the zip in addons/packages. The only problem I can see is that the "offline version" has a lower version than the other...so I guess it will not install before cleaning up first.
Nice looking add-on.

Couldn't install it at first. changed the username to xbmc; then all went well for the installation.

Now the add-on starts up; but no networks show up when scanning.
Quote:Couldn't install it at first. changed the username to xbmc; then all went well for the installation.

What do you mean you changed the username to xbmc? You installed xbmc live with another user? I meant for the username in the add-on settings to be changed to the current user but perhaps your way is ok. What is important is the correct user is added to a group that I don't remember right now.

It would be interesting to see the log both from when you are trying the add-on and the log from when you installed. I assume the latter is gone though.

If you feel up to it, the best way to find the problem (except from posting the log) is to go to console (CTRL ALT F1) and execute wicd-curses and see what happens
Quote:added to a group that I don't remember right now.

Of course if this is the problem we can easily fix it. I will find the group and it have to be manually added.

The reason why this is an issue is that I couldnt get the add-on to correctly detect the linux user.
Hi vikjon0! Great job on the wireless network manager. A branch i'm working on, location, uses info about nearby wifi networks to find XBMC's current location. I wonder if the cross-platform C++ wifi scanner would be useful to a project like this?

https://github.com/garbear/xbmc/blob/loc...k/Wifi.cpp
vikjon0 Wrote:What do you mean you changed the username to xbmc? You installed xbmc live with another user? I meant for the username in the add-on settings to be changed to the current user but perhaps your way is ok. What is important is the correct user is added to a group that I don't remember right now.

It would be interesting to see the log both from when you are trying the add-on and the log from when you installed. I assume the latter is gone though.

If you feel up to it, the best way to find the problem (except from posting the log) is to go to console (CTRL ALT F1) and execute wicd-curses and see what happens

I mean i couldn't get the add-on to install in the first place. I put it on the usb, both version, but kept getting the 'installation failed' notice. As i had screwed over most of the options trying to do other stuff, i pretty much reinstalled the latest nuvoton livecd and used 'xbmc' as username. Then the installation worked straight away (not sure the username had anything to do with it).

So now the add-on will launch, the first time it asked me to install wicd, and I did. Rebooted, launched add-on, pressed scan => no networks found.

When I do what you ask me (ps complete linux noob here by the way); that is, launching wicd-curses, i get the screen with the connections, and nomatter what i try, i can't get the wireless connections to show, refreshing etc ...

when i put a cable in, it quickly detects the ethernet connection and the current assigned ip.

Big Grin

if you want me to give you a log or anything, realy, treat me like a retard and tell me exactly what to type in etc .. Confused
Quote:When I do what you ask me (ps complete linux noob here by the way); that is, launching wicd-curses, i get the screen with the connections, and nomatter what i try, i can't get the wireless connections to show, refreshing etc ...

Ok, no xbmc logs needed. If wicd-curses cant see it, there is no chance for xbmc.
Have you used the wifi on that box before? In linux? What kind of box/wireless is it?

I am afraid I am not a hardware expert. I am depending for linux and wicd to handle the wireless. wicd is very well known so normally I wouldn't expect it to cause any porblem.

If it turns out that your wifi hardware is not supported by the linux version in live you need to install a driver. I am afraid I cant help you with that.

Except googling your hardware I can only suggest you to boot a ubuntu desktop liveCD and see if it works there. Normally wifi will work directly in ubuntu desktop 10.04. (if not try 10.10)
vikjon0 Wrote:Ok, no xbmc logs needed. If wicd-curses cant see it, there is no chance for xbmc.
Have you used the wifi on that box before? In linux? What kind of box/wireless is it?

I am afraid I am not a hardware expert. I am depending for linux and wicd to handle the wireless. wicd is very well known so normally I wouldn't expect it to cause any porblem.

If it turns out that your wifi hardware is not supported by the linux version in live you need to install a driver. I am afraid I cant help you with that.

Except googling your hardware I can only suggest you to boot a ubuntu desktop liveCD and see if it works there. Normally wifi will work directly in ubuntu desktop 10.04. (if not try 10.10)

it's an Asrock ion 3D 152... i see other people on the forum who got it working.

Is there any specific driver I should get you know of or should i just boot into ubuntu and try to get it working from there?

(as for the installation etc , i've always worked with the ethernet connection, so i haven't used the wifi on it just yet.)
Quote:Is there any specific driver I should get you know of or should i just boot into ubuntu and try to get it working from there?

Normally the drivers are included in linux and nothing is needed. If they are not included it is a bit more complicated.
However, this is not related to my method or wicd, either the drivers are available or not. If it is working for other people the driver is included (unless they installed it....)

Like I said, it is hard for me to suggest anything else. I assune wifi is enabled in bios? (mine was on when I got it ...ion 330HT)
vikjon0 Wrote:Normally the drivers are included in linux and nothing is needed. If they are not included it is a bit more complicated.
However, this is not related to my method or wicd, either the drivers are available or not. If it is working for other people the driver is included (unless they installed it....)

Like I said, it is hard for me to suggest anything else. I assune wifi is enabled in bios? (mine was on when I got it ...ion 330HT)

I agree. You add-on seems to work just fine. Something is wrong with the wifi detection (hardware I suppose).

Any, thx for the add-on, it looks great ... now to figure out how to get the wifi working Big Grin
this module isn't working for me

Probably i've made some mistake into my xbmc installation :/
i tryed this help before: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=81858
could i have made some configuration problem? where can i find some log?

my syustem is an asus s1-at5nm10e
at first installation with wicd-curser wirless worked now i can't make it working.
the zip version for "without internet" is working, but i can't install the connection..
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] Wireless Manager (Wicd based) Addon for Linux1