[xbmc-git 20110114-1] crashes all the time now, black screen with auto refresh rate
Rainbow 
Hi! Just updated to the latest git version, 20110114-1. Now i'm having constant crashes randomly when I try to play an mkv movie. I've had crashes before on previous svn revisions, but now they are far more frequently.

This time i'm using 60hz while i'm browsing the menus, and 24hz kicks in while i'm watching a movie (xbmc auto refresh rate).

Sadly I have several issues related to xbmc auto refresh rate:

*constant crashes
*if I stop a movie (stop button) xbmc either crashes or freezes with a black screen
*If I execute a move, xbmc either crashes or freezes with a black screen.

I've tried altering x seconds before refresh switch in options but it doesn't help me.

The black/freezing thing doesn't happen if I force xbmc to run in 24hz all the time, but I still get random crashes.

Quote:htpc

xbmc-git 20110114-1
archlinux (2.6.36-ARCH x86_64)
Amd Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5000+
Nvidia 8400GS 256mb (nvidia 260.19.29-1)
2GB Ram

Code:
Full Screen #1
1920x1080 (60hz in browsing menus, 24hz watching a movie)
Render Method Auto Detect
VDPAU x
VAAPI x
Adjust Display Refresh Rate To Match Video x
Sync Playback to Display no
VDPAU Studio Level Color Conversion x

xbmc_crashlog: http://paste.pocoo.org/show/320956/
xbmc_debuglog: http://paste.pocoo.org/show/320959/

This ONLY happens when I choose adjust auto refresh rate in xbmc.

EDIT: I'm getting crashes all the time now, regardless if i'm using auto refresh rate or just pure 24Hz.

I have over 10 crash logs in my directory.

Here's one, I can't paste the rest because they are over 5mb size!!!!!
http://paste.pocoo.org/show/321074/

Seems like it's a bug within xbmc: http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/10658#comment:19
You ever get this sorted have a very similar issue, blank screen when pressing stop with match resolution enabled.
With latest FernetMenta build everything works perfectly: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=102993&page=2
i can confirm that aswell, frequent: (VDPAU) Error: The display was pre-empted, or a fatal error occurred.(2) at VDPAU.cpp:1104

sometimes xbmc restarts itself and changing refreshrate to last used, sometimes it hangs with blackscreen.

i tried to set "pause when switching refreshrate" to various values 1s-10s and that didn't help at all.

noticed that it happen only when changing between 60 / 50 / 24 frequecies and content uses VDPAU to render. when switching to non VDPAU rendered content like XVID, it never happens.

ASROCK 330HT
Slackware64-current
GIT
im on xbmclive (type Ubuntu Lucid based) run current git just compiled 2 minutes ago, Im on a Asrock HT 330 and no crashes here like that.s ync to playback is set + vdpau on latest 275.25 stable nvidia drivers and alsa 1.0.24.

Since I turned on dirty regions I have had some playback issues but otherwise no crashes like you guys describe.
I also get a lot of crashes with last build for git. I am on a ION platform, using ubuntu 11.04. XBMC crashes while playing videos, the funny thing is that crashes happen on specify image pattern. For instance, I am currently watching a TV show, the wire where there is after the generic a black screen with a quote written in white color. XBMC crashes almost each time when displaying this. I am using VDPAU.
Ive just been testing dirty regions and its a cause for a multitude of sins, including, flickering in random parts of XBMC most obvious is xbmc settings>system>video output test patterns, then no matter what enabling disabling vdpau I get a few xbmc hangs doesnt crash just becomes unresponsive and some HD or vdpau accelerated files drag ass.

the test patterns are mostly black and white. just flickers/strobes like no tomorrow.

I ended up disabling dirty regions and nofliptimeout.

Ive read in forums that 11.04 is not quite all its geared up to be.

result dirty-regions is out on my xbmclive (lucid based) asrock ion ht

I get perfect playback, and no major issues.
Is dirty regions enabled by default now?
With or without dirty regions the same. I didn't write earlier but since i configured refresh changes to get proper 24p content months ago, hangs and black screens appeared. Noone wrote about so i didn't start a new thread but problem exists and its related to vdpau and refreshrate changes.
yep, tried without dirty regions, still crashing
Thank god I'm still on stable...

Jerry
ok a fix to random hangs has been added. I compiled todasy and where it use to hang randomly with vdpau disabled doesnt.
strange thing, crashes are gone, hard to analyze what did i change... one thing comes to my mind, i changed colorspace from RGB Full to YCbCr444, can it be it? is it somehow related?
[mil];854346 Wrote:strange thing, crashes are gone, hard to analyze what did i change... one thing comes to my mind, i changed colorspace from RGB Full to YCbCr444, can it be it? is it somehow related?

by default even if not set in xorg, the colorspace is RGB and by inference also by default full is specified also (one goes with the other)

so if you or anyone else has RGB set on xorg is just a waste of bytes and typing as it doesn ziltch, according to official nvidia documentation.

The proper color space is apparently YCbCr444.

The hangs have been fixed in git trunk anyways no matter what colorspace you have.
There is no need to write obvious things and not answering the main question. I just wrote that change was TO YCrCb444 and i wonder if it could help no matter if its fixed now for any colorspace or not.
Important for me is: was it related or not.

Thanx anyway

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[xbmc-git 20110114-1] crashes all the time now, black screen with auto refresh rate0