I don't mean to be lazy BUT
Compact Flash is slower than a HDD so it's a bad idea. But I do agree with you, if my library would fit onto a single hard drive, and the box would only have room for 1 storage device, I would go this way.
maxinc Wrote:Compact Flash is slower than a HDD so it's a bad idea. But I do agree with you, if my library would fit onto a single hard drive, and the box would only have room for 1 storage device, I would go this way.

Yes the CF are slow, and the prices on SSDs are falling very fast. CFs are probably not an option any longer.

As of now I store movies on a 2TB green WD (<30dB) and lossless music and TV shows on a 1TB 2.5" Blue WD (<25db). The 2Tb disk is the noisiest component as the 120mm Noctua fan (20dB) is very quiet. When watching movies, the disks can not be heard. The disk spins down after a while, and the noise the 2.5" disk makes when playing music is probably less than a CD-player anyway.

Both disks stays at 35-40 degrees and does not add much heat to the overall.

I am running out of disk space, but have room for one more 2.5" disk. If I should keep every movies etc, I would probably have to use a NAS, but I do not bother to keep all the bad unwatchable films just to "collect". It's a PITA to just browse- and keep up-to-date 500 movies (Plex nine sure kept me busy when released and updated every 2nd day)
Thanks for all the input and help so far,
i downloaded xbmc to my laptop, love the look and feel of it so far,
so i've done some reading and hopefully learned a thing or two,
1/ asrock vision 3d vs mini mac 2010 i like the look of the asrock better and i'm impressed with the futureproof bits 3d, usb3, hdmi 1.4 etc
2/ ssd? i'm sold, its just a question of what one and how much, but i want super quick interface and response so thats a tick on the "to get list"
3/ no operating system on the asrock....so i could get something like ubuntu as the os then add xbmc on that correct?
4/ my experince with my current boxee box is that most of the app's aren't that great but just to keep my options open to internet tv and apps like utube, netflix, hulu, vudu am i right in thinking these aren't availible through xbmc so i would need to have a duel boot? or i read that someone has
"run MythTV (Mythbuntu) on my HTPC, I then have Boxee and XBMC set up as menu items on MythTV (its just a matter of editing an XML file).
I use MythTV to manage (Record, Play Pause etc) broadcast TV. The I can jump to boxee for IPTV and apps etc or launch XBMC to run scripts like Navi-X etc. All with my remote control.
I cannot see myself moving over to a boxee box anytine soon."
Has anyone here tried something like this?

I'm getting excited that i'm finally on the right track to getting all my media sorted can't wait
p.s rdubya thank you for the thought and comments Smile
Hi guys,
so i'm about to jump in (tonight or tomorrow) and order the ASRock Vision 3d and an ssd

So i'm aware i have some reading and learning to do but do you recommend i get Ubuntu to put on the unit, then add xbmc onto Ubuntu?

Is that correct, and if so which version of Ubuntu would you recommend pls?

Many thanks in advance
If you're not going to use it as a regular system (which is using the Ubuntu itself outside of XBMC, like browsing and stuff) you could install the XBMC Live version, since it's a modified Ubuntu, already configurated with what you need.

Cheers
asrock vision 3d ordered today, here we go.....
Thanks Nighto, yep getting xbmc up and running is my 1st and most important task, and the only requirement for my new htpc so i think i'll try live for now, thanks

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
I don't mean to be lazy BUT0