Really down about my problem. Center speaker makes strange "windy" noise on 5.1 playb
Question 
Reward if someone helps me fully sort my problem!!!

First post on these forums (be nice)

Im posting on these forums as a last resort. I hope I can get help Smile

I have an Asrock Ion 330HT-BD. By doing research I found that the best build of XBMC for my box was a modified version that included the drivers for the remote control etc. The comunity for that is here XBMCFreak Im running the nuvoton 10.00 experimental version 2.

Im pretty happy with everything except one major thing. I have analog 5.1 speakers plugged straight into the back off the Asrock box. All the speakers work fine and are practically brand new (had them for less than a month)

When playing music, Im happy, all speakers work and sound great!. When I play HD MKV files with DTS audio. The center speaker plays the audio but makes a horrible sort of windy encoding crackling sound (I cant explain it very well) It sounds like a bad encoded audio file. But only out the center speaker. All the other speakers work fine!

Ive tried multiple MKV files and its still the same sound.

I have the system audio settings on analog 5.1

Huh?

Edit:
Here is a video of the problem

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gO1yOoYeKaM&hd=1

Any help, input, feedback or suggestions would be really helpful.

thanks!!
If anyone can fully help me out I can transfer some money via paypal!!

thanks again!!
Have you pulled up the alsa mixer to see if everything is good there?
How to use Git
| AMD Athlon II X3 Triple Core Processor 2.9 GHz |GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H Mobo 2GB DDR2 Ram | MSI N430GT |
| Logitec Harmony Smart Control Remote| 52" Sharp Aquos LED TV | Denon AVR-X1000 |
| Freenas Server with 18TB ASRock Intel Avoton C2750 |
Yer, I made sure that the "Line" and other unnecessary things where muted and the correct ones where not muted.

When I say that I mean there is a link to "Audio Mixer" or something like that. In the programs link. I assume its just a graphical version of alsa mixer (which ive seen and used before)
Smile 
I'm really stuck on this one guys Sad
Im so stuck!!!
Sounds like interference is messing up the center channel. Will you sound equipment not take a straight optical connection? That would completely remove that possibility.

I'm using the logitech x540 speakers connected straight to the asrock ion 330 box. I don't own an a/v receiver Sad

I don't think its interference, It plays audio with no problems.
Ive also tried unplugging the center speaker and moving the speaker and the cable, still get the problem Sad

Thanks for the response tho!
You sure there isn't a problem with the build you downloaded and installed? There could be problems in the backend somewhere. Any chance you can install a stock XBMC version, either Linux or Windows, and see what happens there?
I'm currently running the latest version of the Windows build on top of windows 7. The audio works fine and how it should. But I want to run the box on linux because it performs alot better.

Any settings or tweaks I can try playing with?
Guess nobody can help then?
Hi,

Just an idea, have you tried turning on sync playback to display and set it to resample audio. Its in system>video>playback

cheers
HTPC 1 : Acer revo R3700 ion2 HTPC 2 :Apple TV2 HTPC 3 : Apple TV2 HTPC4 Acer revo R3700 ion2 Remote : x2 Riimote2
SERVER : 10TB Ubuntu Server 10.04, dual wintv nova hd s2 cards, tvheadend, Newcs, Omnikey reader, White *Sky uk* Card, Mysql Db, Sabnzbdplus, SickBeard, Couchpotato, FlexRaid. :cool:
--------------------------------------------
My guess: It's failing to seperate and create a discrete center. These devices usually use something called Matrix-mode. It's basically the same thing the old 5.1 receivers used to do. They convert a stereo analog input into 5.1 channels.

You're hearing the 'parts' that are not being converted. I would not set the analog ouput to 5.1 - Set it to Stereo 2.1 the sound chip and XBMC software will convert the incoming 5.1 from your sources into the 2.1 format your speakers can handle via RCA.

Your speaker system will take the combined 2.1 source it has received and create the 5.1 effect. Hopefully, with no distortion. Smile
Thumbs Up 
harryzimm Wrote:Hi,

Just an idea, have you tried turning on sync playback to display and set it to resample audio. Its in system>video>playback

cheers

I will try this as soon as possible and report back! Sounds like its worth trying!

thank you so much for the reply, really appreciate it!
Thumbs Up 
Doctor3D Wrote:My guess: It's failing to seperate and create a discrete center. These devices usually use something called Matrix-mode. It's basically the same thing the old 5.1 receivers used to do. They convert a stereo analog input into 5.1 channels.

You're hearing the 'parts' that are not being converted. I would not set the analog ouput to 5.1 - Set it to Stereo 2.1 the sound chip and XBMC software will convert the incoming 5.1 from your sources into the 2.1 format your speakers can handle via RCA.

Your speaker system will take the combined 2.1 source it has received and create the 5.1 effect. Hopefully, with no distortion. Smile

Well, the speakers that im using Logitech X540 actually have a "matrix" button on the volume control dongle.

I dont want to use that and want real 5.1 surround sound. I mean.. yer of course I can switch to 2.1 in xbmc and then turn matrix mode on and let the speakers try and give me the surround sound effect.

But because I can literally turn it on and off. I know its not trying to do matrix mode because I have it turned off.

Again, thanks so much for the advice, it was worth checking out!
But this cant be it!

Any more ideas?
Try running XBMCLive on a USB stick, as the build you're using may be the cause. You say it works fine for windows build, so try the official XBMC Live release. You can add the remote drivers yourself so thats not an issue.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Really down about my problem. Center speaker makes strange "windy" noise on 5.1 playb0