Is the onboard graphic card (in combination with rest) sufficient for 1080p/7.1audio?
its just that going RAID1,
you loose half of your Hard Disk Drives...
not really good...
eskro Wrote:its just that going RAID1,
you loose half of your Hard Disk Drives...
not really good...

For 2TB is the best solution. For 4TB you may look at raid5. For more than that, a NAS starts to make sense.
how can you look at RAID5 without using a dedicated NAS?
eskro Wrote:how can you look at RAID5 without using a dedicated NAS?

I made a HTPC + NAS Monster that had RAID 5 once. One of the worst mistakes of my entire life.

i honestly start to really believe this...

if going for a 2HDD raid array, use Windows7's software RAID1....

if going for a 3HDD+ raid array, use a separate NAS rig with software unRAID....
poofyhairguy Wrote:I like the build too.

I changed the build again to a Atom board, which saves me some money as i dont need an additional grafic card (and i think its also more power efficient than an amd athlon x2 (correct me if im wrong))

[MB + CPU + GPU] [131$] Asrock A330ION
http://www.asrock.com/mb/manual.asp?Model=A330ION

[Sytem HDD] [140$] OCZ SSD Agility 2 60GB, SATA-II, 2,5 inch, MLC
http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/so...--ssd.html

[Storage HDD] [99$] Western Digital Caviar Green, 64MB, 2TB, SATA-II
http://digitec.ch/ProdukteDetails2.aspx?...kel=180061

[Parity HDD] [99$] Western Digital Caviar Green, 64MB, 2TB, SATA-II
same as above

[RAM] [49$] Kingston ValueRAM, 2x2GB Kit, DDR3-1066, CL7
http://digitec.ch/ProdukteDetails2.aspx?...kel=187402

[PSU] [77$] Seasonic S12II-430 (SS-430GB) Bronze - 430 Watt
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6817151033

[Case]
already available

total: 595 $ (swiss francs actually, but almost same as US dollar)

what is your opinion about the build? is it fast enough? can i run 1080p on it? (in the motherboard description it says so at least)
why that PSU?
dont you want the CORSAIR 430W?
[PSU] Corsair Netzteil 430 CX - 430 Watt CHF 58.-

why 60GB SSd?
30GB is enough....
[SSD] Corsair Nova V32 SSD MLC, 2.5 Zoll, 32GB, SATA-II CHF 89.-

[CPU] AMD Athlon II X2 250 BOX C3 Stepping, 3.0GHz, AM3, 2C/2T CHF 70.-

[MOBO] AsRock M3N78D, nForce 720D, AM3, CHF 65.-

TOTAL: CHF 628.- (includes RAM + GT430 + 2x2TB also!!)

But you could also save an extra CHF 26.- by buying this GT430 card
[GPU] Club3D GT-430, PCI-E x16, 1GB GDDR3, HDMI CHF 74.-

Your TOTAL will then be ==> CHF 602.- (includes RAM + 2x2TB also!!)

So from CHF 595.- to CHF 602.-, its only CHF 7.- !!
But you gain Unrivaled Performance + 3D + DolbyTrue-HD & DTS-HD Master audio!!
Priceless Smile
Thumbs Up 
unbelievable, eskro! you even looked up the things on the german webpage? thanks man! Smile

eskro Wrote:why that PSU?
dont you want the CORSAIR 430W?

i read some reviews about the corsair one, and found that some critizice the "ingredients" used in this PSU - plus, the Seasonic has a "80+ Bronze" certificate, which testifies for its efficiency (whereas Corsair has none).

eskro Wrote:why 60GB SSd?
30GB is enough....
[SSD] Corsair Nova V32 SSD MLC, 2.5 Zoll, 32GB, SATA-II CHF 89.-

because the write speed of the smaller disk is far below the one i suggested. yours has 195 MB/s read, 70 MB/s write, my suggestion has max. read: 285 MB/s / max. write: 275 MB/s....

So this basically leaves the discussion wether to choose a

SwissElite Wrote:[MB + CPU + GPU] [131$] Asrock A330ION
http://www.asrock.com/mb/manual.asp?Model=A330ION

or, as you suggest it,

eskro Wrote:[CPU] AMD Athlon II X2 250 BOX C3 Stepping, 3.0GHz, AM3, 2C/2T CHF 70.-

[MOBO] AsRock M3N78D, nForce 720D, AM3, CHF 65.-

[GPU] Club3D GT-430, PCI-E x16, 1GB GDDR3, HDMI CHF 74.-

you say, that this has the advantage of "unrivaled performance", "3D" and "Dolby True-HD & DTS-HD Master Audio".

Well - unrivalled performance - i just need to watch movies - everything else is overpowered - for smooth 1080p, the dualcore 1.6Ghz of my suggestion should suffice, shouldnt they?

3d - That is because of the additional graphic card you put i suppose? How would i actually use 3d? do i need to put on special glasses? or how does it work? couldnt i simply buy this additonal graphic card at a later point of time if i really need it and add it to the A330ION board?

Dolby True-HD & DTS-HD Master Audio - pardon my ignorance - but what is it good for? I certainly know the logo, but i dont really know what i gain from it. i have a 4.1 sound system, and the A330Ion board has those analog outputs - what do i get from Dolby True-HD and DTS-HD Master Audio? And why do i get this with your configuartion? Is it because of the graphic card?

Thanks for your feedback eskro! I appreciate it a lot Smile (In particular, that oyu made the effort for looking everything up on a german site, and i suppose, your not natively speaking german, if at all)
unrivalled performance
-----------------------
there's just no way to compare an ATOM CPU to this ATHLON X2!!

3D
----
thats if u ever have or buy a 3DTV later on...
at least your 3D Ready!!

Dolby True-HD & DTS-HD Master Audio
----------------------------------------
those 2 are highest HD audio format on the market!
For audio gurus, having the ability to listen to those means everything!!

btw, i dont speak german at all.
but honestly, i continue to say that for $7 more only, my suggested build is amazing!
really hard to beat....
eskro Wrote:btw, i dont speak german at all..

impressive! thx for your effort! Smile

eskro Wrote:but honestly, i continue to say that for $7 more only, my suggested build is amazing!
really hard to beat....

hehe im happy ur so convinced about ur build Big Grin but i suppose you would agree that taking the larger SSD makes sense as its so much faster? Not sure if you agree on taking the Seasonic PSU, but i think we both agree that Seasonic is not a bad option, either, and that the "Bronze" certificate is something positive.

Then, after eliminating these two differences between our builds, your build differs only in GPU, CPU and Mainboard, thus my combined bundle for 131 CHF vs. your option of 199 CHF

the 3d thing i dont really need - dont think i will use it in the near future. i understand that those audio formats are the most recognized in the markets - but its for digital audio, isnt it? for analog devices this doesnt make any difference, right? and why does your system has that? because of the graphic card, too? (what does the graphic card has to do with the audio?)

performance-- well, is 1.6 ghz dual core so bad? not sufficient?
1.6 ghz dual core is is not sufficient by default to play heavy 1080P files....
thats why its relying on Hardware Acceleration to play 1080P fluidly....
Since XBMC DHARMA, you can easily enable Hardware Acceleration in the settings...

Now the CORSAIR CPU is really good!
its been tested, reviewed, liked, bought, suggested & recommended!
read its review here --> http://ow.ly/1s0fXI

even tho your 60GB SSD still reads/writes faster then my 32GB one,
i still think that at $140 its an overkill....
because just making the step from a 7200rpm HDD to any basic SSD is amazing!
you'll see crazy speed improvements!
you dont need to go that far with your 60GB SSD...
thats what i think at least...

those HD audio formats need to be sent to a A/V Receiver to decode...
this is done via HDMI usually and thats where the GT430 card comes into play also!
that video card brings you all of this, see image...
hmmm... im not an expert, really hard to tell - what do the others tink bout it? poofyhairguy? Big Grin

regarding the GPU - there is written that you need at least a 500 W PSU for SLI - i guess thats "skalable link interface" - do i need that?

moreover - the Zotac GT430 looks very much the same as the Club3d, only that the Zotac one has the higher front side bus (1800mhz vs 1333 mhz) and costs 15$ more - in case i would go for a gpu card - would that be an option? LINK
well any GT430 card is the option Smile
just depends on your wallet!
but even the lowest priced card will do a fantastic job in a htpc!

and no you dont need 500w since your not going to use SLI ( 2 gpu cards same time )
you only need 350w if using 1 card.. which u are...
Wink 
hehe lets see what the others think about it, let me sleep over it a few nights (actually, i just dont have time to start buidling it right now Wink) and then well see
if you don't have a dtsma or truehd capable receiver, honestly the ion is going to be fine if just watching 1080p is your goal.

Even if you get a new receiver in the future, you can get the same audio experience by encoding the dtsma tracks to 7.1 flac when you are ripping (or convert existing rips) which xbmc will decode and send to your receiver - no gt430 required.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is the onboard graphic card (in combination with rest) sufficient for 1080p/7.1audio?0