Is the onboard graphic card (in combination with rest) sufficient for 1080p/7.1audio?
only advantage to the athlon build is possibly a bit faster UI experience when navigating around in xbmc .. but I haven't really noticed any lag with my dual core ion + ssd + dds fanart setup.
dds?
gfx format that drastically speeds up the rendering of large fanarts, etc. - you used to have to enable it in advancedsettings.xml and convert your library but i think its the default setting now, and xbmc will convert your fanart on the fly.
according to http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Adv...ttings.xml

you still need to put it:

<useddsfanart>

This settings allows XBMC to use your GPU rendering fanart and some other images. This will make loading images considerably faster, especially on systems with slower processors (e.g. atom based systems).

To enable dds fanart in xbmc, add the following to your advancedsettings.xml:

<advancedsettings>
<useddsfanart>true</useddsfanart>
</advancedsettings>
Your setup looks great. Having a Zbox with the Atom 330 / ION combo and a fast SSD, I would be tempted to wish for a slightly faster CPU for the extra kick during XBMC navigation with some of the skins. With that being said, I got the box to watch movies and there is absolutely nothing wrong with this combo for this purpose. It is simply amazing.

If you are willing to accept the limited power and upgradability of the Atom 330/ION combo (and lack of fluidity with some of the more advanced XBMC skins), there isn't a single file this HTPC won't be able to play smoothly.

Don't worry about 3D or HD audio. To be able to see / hear those benefits, you would need serious kit 3D TV, HD capable AV Receiver, expensive speakers and not to mention a finely tuned hearing. When you'll be ready to purchase all of those, a $60 worth of video card will seem like spare change so you can always add it later.
XBMC Live: i3 530 / GT210 / 2GB / SSD + 2 x Zotac HD01 / 2GB / SSD
unRAID Pro: 6 x 1TB + 2 x 1.5TB + 2 x 2TB + 2 x 500G over GbE
HP Micro Server: SABnzbd+, Sickbeard, Couchpotato, uTorrent, Media Companion, MySQL, MKV Toolnix
thank you for your feedback, maxinc!

maxinc Wrote:If you are willing to accept the limited power and upgradability of the Atom 330/ION combo (and lack of fluidity with some of the more advanced XBMC skins), there isn't a single file this HTPC won't be able to play smoothly.

i am not looking forward to a laggy navigation - now i have a athlon 2200 mhz (singlecore) - if i compare that to the new atom 330 1.6 ghz dualcore, i hope to have at least the same speed (as now two cores) or even bit faster...
Really all the power is in the ion graphics .. don't look for the atom chip itself to do much of anything for you, dualcore or otherwise. For only running xbmc though, its certainly up to the task - at least with the skins I've used.
will the reduced power of the atom have a serious impact on the speed the system boots? (win7 64 bit)
SwissElite Wrote:will the reduced power of the atom have a serious impact on the speed the system boots? (win7 64 bit)

That's mostly up to the MB and how long it's POST take, the speed of the hard drive and how much stuff windows need to load at restart.

My bedroom Zboxes with first gen SLC SSDs (100 read / 70 write) boot into XBMC Live in about 15 seconds. The Windows 7 machine took almost 40 seconds with the same SSD and a way faster CPU.

And you will not necessarily feel the laggy navigation with the 330 unless you have something to compare it to. Compared the the i3 530, the Atom is really slow at loading full screen fan art but my wife can't seem notice any difference.
XBMC Live: i3 530 / GT210 / 2GB / SSD + 2 x Zotac HD01 / 2GB / SSD
unRAID Pro: 6 x 1TB + 2 x 1.5TB + 2 x 2TB + 2 x 500G over GbE
HP Micro Server: SABnzbd+, Sickbeard, Couchpotato, uTorrent, Media Companion, MySQL, MKV Toolnix
misterpink Wrote:if you don't have a dtsma or truehd capable receiver, honestly the ion is going to be fine if just watching 1080p is your goal.

Even if you get a new receiver in the future, you can get the same audio experience by encoding the dtsma tracks to 7.1 flac when you are ripping (or convert existing rips) which xbmc will decode and send to your receiver - no gt430 required.

true misterpink,
but a pain to do when u can just have it working from the start....

anyhow SwissElite,
i just wanted to open your mind on what can you buy for ~ CH 600.-

The build i suggested would have been my choice,
but it doesn't mean yours is bad or won't fulfill your needs...

As long as you know which options you have and make a clear decision in the end...

SwissElite happy, everybody happy Smile
nevermind Smile
anyhow SwissElite,
i just wanted to open your mind on what can you buy for CH 7.- more....

The build i suggested would have been my choice,
but it doesn't mean yours is bad or won't fulfill your needs...

As long as you know which options you have and make a clear decision in the end...

SwissElite happy, everybody happy Smile
*please delete*
Guys,

The Asrock A330ION Board suffices for playing 1080p without an additional graphic card, however, it is a bit slow as you have said. Now, if i would like to have it a bit faster - is it possible to combine the following two components to achieve that? Or would I need a graphic card, too?

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

CPU Intel Core i3 540 BOX, 3.06GHz, LGA1156, 2C/4T $119
MB Gigabyte GA-H55N-USB3, Intel H55, LGA1156, Mini-ITX $123
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6813128448
that cpu will play anything without a dedicated graphic card.. however, what do you mean by slow? Do you already have a SSD?? Poofy says his atom+ION+SSD rig feels faster than his quadcore+standard HDD..

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is the onboard graphic card (in combination with rest) sufficient for 1080p/7.1audio?0