• 4(current)
HP IR Receiver Options
I actually just saw your horror story in this thread (http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=93849) Shocked

I'll check out the guide you've written on OpenElec forums and let you know of any thoughts. However, I'm only just buying the bits and pieces for my HTPC now, so won't have any real life experience for another week or so.

One headache that I've almost definitely got coming my way is with the HP receiver. Can't find one on ebay.co.uk for the OVU400103/00 5188-1667. Even though some are advertised as such, I've contacted the sellers and they invariably say that it's actually the OVU400102/71 that they stock Sad. However, I have found a couple of threads on here that detail how to add that model to the various files used by lirc so that it will work. Fingers crossed Eek.

I'm planning on going with Live rather than Open Elec (getting an ION Zbox so no need for GT430 drivers etc) because I want to add some other applications and functionality and my very limited understanding leads me to believe this will be easier on the Ubuntu-based Live rather than the stripped down OpenElec.
Just one other quick question. You have on other threads said that you do not recommend adding the Harmony remote as a Keyboard _as well as_ an MCE remote, which would allow key presses to be assigned to buttons within the harmony software. Why do you recommend against this method?
pedr0 Wrote:Just one other quick question. You have on other threads said that you do not recommend adding the Harmony remote as a Keyboard _as well as_ an MCE remote, which would allow key presses to be assigned to buttons within the harmony software. Why do you recommend against this method?

This is unneeded. Wink you do not need to assign keyboard key presses to buttons within the Logitech Harmony Software!

You simply configure the Harmony as an MCE remote. Doing this step will allow your Harmony to perform the core functions for XBMC without any further configuration.

If you desire to change button layout then you can change which commands/functions are mapped to certain buttons from within the Harmony software. You can also add custom buttons by assigning unused commands to buttons on your remote and then modifying the keymap.xml file to assign an action to that remote command. Doing this, you can assign any XBMC function to any button on your remote.

For example, I have a button to mark shows as watched, go straight to the weather screen, toggle subtitles... etc. The possibilities are endless. Big Grin

You can create a button to adjust audio delay, view new movies/shows... you get the point! Nerd

The only possible reason for people configuring the remote as a keyboard would be to allow for more buttons... but I have never run into issues with the MCE remote running out of commands. There are plenty of extra buttons not in use that can be customized.

Useful Links:
keymap.xml
List of Built In Functions
Cool - thanks. Though I only half get it at the moment. It's the concept of modifying of the keymap.xml where I start getting confused. I'm sure it'll make more sense once I get the hardware and have the software in front of me.
Yes. I was confused about the mapping process at first... but it is much easier to comprehend once you are able to dive in and try things out. Big Grin

The keymap.xml simply takes the button and assigns it an action in XBMC. This action can be any of the functions in the links I provided above. For example, I could map the Left button on my remote to navigate Left... but I could just as easily map it to navigate Right by changing the button assignment/mapping in the keymap.xml Nerd

This is dependent on your Logitech Harmony Software configurations. If you properly set up the remote as an MCE device (as detailed in my guide that I linked above) then the remote should work out-of-the-box with the core functions. So, for example, the left button would be mapped properly to navigate left within the default keymap.xml without needing any modification.

The only reason you need to use the keymap.xml is to tweak buttons to your preference. You can use the Logitech Software and the keymap.xml together to fully customize and tweak your remote to work as you desire. With this combination, you have full control of the actions each button performs on your remote.

My advice is to not touch the keymap.xml at first and tweak the Logitech Software mappings to perform the correct actions for the buttons (or the actions that seem logical for the buttons)... if they are not doing so by default. The settings I use are included as screenshots in my guide!

Once you have done this, then you can tinker with the keymap.xml and change the functionality of buttons, add custom buttons, etc...

I have been meaning to finish my guide to include my full keymap.xml file (which includes custom buttons meeting my needs).
bmcclure937 Wrote:harmony one complete configuration guide [openelec]

thank you for this!!!!

poofyhairguy Wrote:thank you for this!!!!

You're Welcome!! Wink

I am still working on finalizing the more advanced customizations (modifying the keymap.xml)

The guide will currently walk through setting up the remote properly and getting it to work out-of-the-box with XBMC. The core functionality will work. Any "personalization" that would be done with the keymap.xml is still being documented.

I am planning to upload my keymap.xml file because I think it does a great job covering basic functionality that many people would like to have.

*EDIT*: thanks for the signature link! means a lot and I am glad you appreciate the guide. I hope it helps a lot of others.
Just wanted to add that I've bought two of these off of eBay now, and neither were actually OVU400103/00's. One was the OVU400102/71 while the other was actually an OVU422000/06. Kinda bugged me though because all the eBay auctions say they're OVU400103/00 and they'll just send you what they have.

The OVU400102/71 is about 3.25 inches wide and about 2" deep. It has the HP logo on the top and says "hp media center" on it.

The OVU422000/06 is significantly smaller at about 3" wide and about 1.5 inches deep. It has no logo nor any other text on the top.

They were both installed automatically in Windows 7 as "eHome Infrared Receiver."

My experience with the OVU400102/71 was terrible. I spent many hours fiddling with the MCE Keyboard and MCE Remote methods of programming my Harmony, several frustrating hours using Logitech's clunky and slow software (okay, maybe not slow, but 5 minute remote updates can seem like an eternity especially if you do it 10-15 times per session). The behavior was erratic. Everything would work, I guess, but buttons were sometimes ignored or they repeated 3-4 times per press.

Fed up, I bought my second "OVU400103/00" from eBay and it came as the OVU422000/06. Without changing anything else, I swapped the receivers and it's perfect! No skipping, no repeats. Plus it's a smaller unit, which is nice.

FTR, I'm using a Harmony 890.
KennethC Wrote:Just wanted to add that I've bought two of these off of eBay now, and neither were actually OVU400103/00's. One was the OVU400102/71 while the other was actually an OVU422000/06. Kinda bugged me though because all the eBay auctions say they're OVU400103/00 and they'll just send you what they have.

The OVU400102/71 is about 3.25 inches wide and about 2" deep. It has the HP logo on the top and says "hp media center" on it.

The OVU422000/06 is significantly smaller at about 3" wide and about 1.5 inches deep. It has no logo nor any other text on the top.

They were both installed automatically in Windows 7 as "eHome Infrared Receiver."

My experience with the OVU400102/71 was terrible. I spent many hours fiddling with the MCE Keyboard and MCE Remote methods of programming my Harmony, several frustrating hours using Logitech's clunky and slow software (okay, maybe not slow, but 5 minute remote updates can seem like an eternity especially if you do it 10-15 times per session). The behavior was erratic. Everything would work, I guess, but buttons were sometimes ignored or they repeated 3-4 times per press.

Fed up, I bought my second "OVU400103/00" from eBay and it came as the OVU422000/06. Without changing anything else, I swapped the receivers and it's perfect! No skipping, no repeats. Plus it's a smaller unit, which is nice.

FTR, I'm using a Harmony 890.

I also ordered an IR reciever that stated in the auction that it was a OVU400103/00 5188-1667 but alas the one I got was OVU422000/06 5070-2584.

So far it's been working OK out of the box (Harmony One remote, OpenELEC XBMC)... I just have slight lag, but I haven't had a chance to try and fix it up
Wanting to get a couple of the HP IR receivers, specifically the OVU400103/00 (5188-1667). I've been looking for the last few days but can't seem to find anything...

There are a few listed on Ebay...but they either don't ship internationally (i'm in Australia) or appear to be another model (listed as a 5188-1667, but photos show another model).

This remote bundle looks good but the seller won't ship internationally..

Does anyone know a current reliable source for these?
18TB unRaid server - SickBeard - CouchPotato - XBMC HTPC (Asus M4A88TD-M EVO/USB3, AMD Athlon 64 X2 260, Scythe Big Shuriken CPU Cooler, ASUS GeForce GT430, OCZ Vertex2 60GB SSD, SilverStone GD05 HTPC case)
Hello everyone Smile

I just ordered one from this guy: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...OU:US:1123

I rather spend 2 hours on modding, than 2 hours on google to find "the right one".

So i was just wondering:
Anything special I should know?

Going to read on "Kaiser423"'s thread from page 1 Smile
RuZleBiFf Wrote:Hello everyone Smile

I just ordered one from this guy: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...OU:US:1123

I rather spend 2 hours on modding, than 2 hours on google to find "the right one".

So i was just wondering:
Anything special I should know?

Going to read on "Kaiser423"'s thread from page 1 Smile

Just FYI, when I posted above about my OVU400102/71, it was from that guy.
My experience with a couple of HP IR receivers: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=85237
In short I had to edit the lirc, but sure took a lot of aggravation to first find that out.

So far 3 different ebay vendors, 2 needed the lirc edited and 1 was plug and play. Not having the receivers in hand, when you first buy one, its hard to tell the difference between an authentic and a "fake" one. But after physically having both a "fake" and authentic you can tell which is authentic. I'll try to remember to take a picture of a "fake" and authentic side by side when I'm over at my friends (he lucked out with getting an authentic one). After seeing what the authentic one looks like it is a bit easier to get the correct one on ebay. (if the picture of the product being sold on ebay is of the actual product they send you)
Any Aussies looking for a local source for the HP IR receivers specifically the OVU400103/00 (5188-1667) version. I've purchased a IR receiver/remote combo from this seller and couldn't be happier. I had been looking for a while and was put off most of the cheaper Hong Kong based sellers as they all quoted at least 14 days for delivery. A lot of them also claimed to be the OVU400103/00 model but the photos showed something different.
18TB unRaid server - SickBeard - CouchPotato - XBMC HTPC (Asus M4A88TD-M EVO/USB3, AMD Athlon 64 X2 260, Scythe Big Shuriken CPU Cooler, ASUS GeForce GT430, OCZ Vertex2 60GB SSD, SilverStone GD05 HTPC case)
Hi anyone know where I can get from in the UK? I really don't want to wait three weeks for what could be a fake one from China (eBay).
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HP IR Receiver Options0