[BUG] Slow Chinese subtitle rendering
Did my patch from the other thread not work for chinese? I would have thought it might work, as long you know the UTF-16 codes for the chars to pre-cache, reduce the size of font perhaps a little and disable border font if still no good - surely that should work well enough.

I think this below is slightly cleaned up and does not have the overlay subs linger tweak.

http://pastebin.com/yXX1ZZyv
TheSwissKnife Wrote:Did my patch from the other thread not work for chinese? I would have thought it might work, as long you know the UTF-16 codes for the chars to pre-cache, reduce the size of font perhaps a little and disable border font if still no good - surely that should work well enough.

I think this below is slightly cleaned up and does not have the overlay subs linger tweak.

http://pastebin.com/yXX1ZZyv
There are like 3000 chinese characters, which are all way more advanced than normal characters... i doubt you can cache everything needed
hsinchu308 Wrote:How about doing it the way Media Player Classic does it - caching strings, instead of characters, about 10 seconds before displaying? The dsplayer branch of XBMC does it this way, and I am still using the dsplayer version of XBMC to this day, for this reason. The only catch is that I must lower the resolution of the cache to 960 by 540 pixels. However, it still looks really nice, even on 1080p displays, and my Acer 3610 can handle Chinese subtitles without stuttering at all.
I agree, this is probably the smartest solution.
deppan Wrote:There are like 3000 chinese characters, which are all way more advanced than normal characters... i doubt you can cache everything needed

But has anyone tried? I think 3000 might be do'able if not too large font size - I am not saying it would work for sure but I think I tried 1000 if I recall. Definitely switch off border font for that...document the UTF-16 codes for the frequent ones to pre-cache and test it - if the texture blows up the log will show it straight away so it wouldn't take too long to find out.
No-one gonna try and report back?
Well maybe someone could at least do part of it - provide the list of UTF-16 char codes that are required to handle most situations?
From the lack of response I can only be assumed there is no real problem or a the very little bit of effort required to help is too much for those who have an issue. If someone is even planning to offer their input it would help if it was noted here.
Sorry to revive this thread, but I I just got a revo and am having this problem. I have changed the font and it has smooth it out some but every now and again I still get a slight stutter, I'm guessing it's trying to render a new character not already cached.

@TheSwissKnife I would like to try your patch, but I am just starting out with linux and am still pretty retarded about it and am not sure how to apply the patch. I am using xbmc-live10.1, any help or a point in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Asus Essentio CS5110, Intel E8300, 2 GB Ram, 8600M GT
First work out how to compile a build and run it - get comfortable with that. There are many guides around eg

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=89817

Then when you are comfortable with that I can probably supply you a patch that will apply without too much grief, rather than you having to fight with getting the old patch to apply to a new version.
Cheers mate, will start playing around today and see if I can work it out. Once I get comfortable compiling for linux I'll get back to you.
Swissknife, just want to apologise as I haven't gotten back to you. I have tried to build from source a couple of times and ran into some problems. I just haven't had enough time to devote to it. I have gotten it to a more managable level by changing fonts, but its not perfect yet. Hopefully I'll get some free time soon, thanks for the help and you may hear from me again.
Cheers
I applied TheSwissKnife's patch to latest git source, got it compiled, with a little modification since some files changed.

Precache cause more delay and frame drop with Chinese subtitles.

But disable precache, and also disable font border, give me a very smooth result. I barely notice delay when subtitles show up, need more tests though.

Here is my advancedsettings.xml
Quote:<advancedsettings>
<video>
<subsoverlaymaxlinger>4</subsoverlaymaxlinger>
<substtfborderfontdisable>true</substtfborderfontdisable>
<substtfprecache>false</substtfprecache>
<substtfprecachecodes>
<add>0x0-0xFF</add>
<add>0x15E,0x130,</add>
<add>0x11F,0x15F,0x131</add>
</substtfprecachecodes>
</video>
</advancedsettings>

And modified patch here, thanks TheSwissKnife!
http://pastebin.com/1GJ31WZH

Hope there is better way to solve the problem, font looks better with border after all.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[BUG] Slow Chinese subtitle rendering0