• 5(current)
[AppleTV2] ATV2 get's XBMC
rdubya Wrote:1) It's not reading my folder.jpg or filename.tbn files. fanart.jpg shows up great.
2) there seems to be an issue with the overlays (not sure if this is correct) with the default confluence skin. I can see words behind words. when I'm on video I can see all the words that are part of the slide-out menu.

know issues and on the TODO list
izike2000 Wrote:I'm having trouble with ISOs (DVD) and DVD file structures, nothing happens when I select them, all my other content working fine. Is this working for others? If so, I'll troubleshoot on my end, just wanted to check first.

ISO support is on the TODO list.
davilla:

is buffering changed at all? I had no issues before on an AppleTV first gen / MacMini / Boxee Box.. this buffers like crazy Sad Same network, same wire same everything. I returned Boxee Box and got an ATV2 instead but maybe I shouldn't have Sad
minel Wrote:davilla:

is buffering changed at all? I had no issues before on an AppleTV first gen / MacMini / Boxee Box.. this buffers like crazy Sad Same network, same wire same everything. I returned Boxee Box and got an ATV2 instead but maybe I shouldn't have Sad

Just wanted to say mine is buffering as well running on an ipad ios 4.2.1 playing back a local 720p .mkv file so im not sure its network related.
I'm really enjoying having XBMC on my ATV2. One issue I seem to be having though is with dolby digital 5.1 surround sound. Even when i select the surround sound audio track, my sound system only receives a stereo signal...
The install instructions make no sense whatsoever:
$ ssh root@<your ATV2 IP adress>

root@<your ATV2 IP adress>'s password: ''enter your password here, it should be "alpine" if you havent changed it''

$ echo "deb http://mirrors.xbmc.org/apt/atv2 ./" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/xbmc.list

$ apt-get update

$ apt-get install org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2

Can someone help a newbie out? I understand these commands have to entered into terminal. Once I get to the password - I get "apple tv root" and then i cant enter anything else. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!
rdubya Wrote:Saw this on Engadget, http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/20/xbmc-...-apple-tv/

Looks like Davilla has been busy

Edit by mod: http://www.tuaw.com/2011/01/20/xbmc-for-...available/

Whow. I am stunned.

philip
minel Wrote:the reflections are really bad as well... plus it buffers a lot... on the same network (wired) where the Boxee Box ran fine.

I haven't tried XBMC on the ATV2 yet but I do use Plex's client on it with no buffering problems. My Boxee Box that I returned recently had terrible buffering issues. Mind you I never got to using the more recent firmware releases. I run everything wired, except for another ATV2 which is isolated.

I hope this doesn't stop ATV1 work.

philip
Excellent work guys and thanks to all the devs.

This is really piquing my interest, a small affordable box, under 10 watts, that is now usable.

Down the road is there a possibility of installing an arm version of *buntu or something similar. Or is the graphics driver to proprietary and has no real good Linux driver.

Going off of that will there ever be a possibility of outputting at 1080, or is that blocked on the gpu itself. I.E. is it something we could hack with some configuration settings or does the gpu explicitly block 1080.

Thanks
Soul
wmrrock Wrote:The install instructions make no sense whatsoever:
$ ssh root@<your ATV2 IP adress>

root@<your ATV2 IP adress>'s password: ''enter your password here, it should be "alpine" if you havent changed it''

$ echo "deb http://mirrors.xbmc.org/apt/atv2 ./" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/xbmc.list

$ apt-get update

$ apt-get install org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2

Can someone help a newbie out? I understand these commands have to entered into terminal. Once I get to the password - I get "apple tv root" and then i cant enter anything else. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

At that point you have logged into the ATV2 as root and are at the equivalent of terminal on the ATV2. Just copy/paste each of those 3 commands ( press return after each) and that should do it.

philip
minel Wrote:davilla:

I have all the players you mentioned ( well I returned 2 Boxee Boxes). The only one that buffered was the Boxee Box, but I think that is much improved with recent updates.

I'd have to say there is something going on with your network.

philip
Apple-TV:~ root# $ echo "deb http://mirrors.xbmc.org/apt/atv2 ./" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/xbmc.list
-sh: $: command not found
Apple-TV:~ root#

command not found - pasting doesn' t seem to do it. What am I doing wrong?
pmcd Wrote:I have all the players you mentioned ( well I returned 2 Boxee Boxes). The only one that buffered was the Boxee Box, but I think that is much improved with recent updates.

I'd have to say there is something going on with your network.

philip

well I'm returning the Apple TV and getting a boxee box... at least that played my 720p 60fps movies fine... this struggles
Color me impressed. Amazing job to everyone involved (Davilla and crew I'd imagine?).

I probably won't own any of these products since I swore off of Apple products (can't hack their app store limitations)... But for $99, maybe I will Tongue
pmcd Wrote:At that point you have logged into the ATV2 as root and are at the equivalent of terminal on the ATV2. Just copy/paste each of those 3 commands ( press return after each) and that should do it.

philip

This is what I get when I try to add commands after root:

Apple-TV:~ root# $ echo "deb http://mirrors.xbmc.org/apt/atv2 ./" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/xbmc.list
-sh: $: command not found
Apple-TV:~ root#

command not found.
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV2] ATV2 get's XBMC0