[AppleTV2] Confirm 1080p video decoding / playback with 720p or 1080p output?
http://www.tuaw.com/2011/01/20/xbmc-for-...available/

Scott (one of the devs on the iOS / ATV port) says they're working on the stuttering for 1080p.

And as to why anyone would want to watch a 1080p movie on a 1024x768 screen, its because I don't want to transcode.
I just tested a 1080p 1 min MKV sample ~90MB) on my iphone and there's considerable judder throughout, but it's not completely unwatchable.

If it's true they're working on it, then great!

solidunit Wrote:And as to why anyone would want to watch a 1080p movie on a 1024x768 screen, its because I don't want to transcode.
It's for people that are using ATV2 on a 1080p HDTV that already have a large library of 1080p movies and don't want to recode them (that would be me!!).
One thing I notice is that XBMC output via ATV2 at 720@60p while the same content output via XBMC on my Revo box at 720P@24p.

I haven't figured out how to get the ATV2 to output at 24fps yet so that may explain some of the judder issues some users are experiencing. I was doing my testing while falling asleep so I'll have to spend some more time later on to do a more thorough test.

Anyone know how to get the frame rate counter on the screen with the ATV2? I saw the video posted on Engadget and they were able to do that. I haven't been able to figure this trick out yet.
solidunit Wrote:http://www.tuaw.com/2011/01/20/xbmc-for-...available/

Scott (one of the devs on the iOS / ATV port) says they're working on the stuttering for 1080p.

And as to why anyone would want to watch a 1080p movie on a 1024x768 screen, its because I don't want to transcode.

Some people also wanted to put CDs in their cassette player and put a DVD in their VHS player, but I'm afraid some things are just technically infeasible.
I played back a 1080p mkv over SMB share on wired network. I didn't notice the judder issues that other people talked but I did notice that it needed to stop for buffering every 30 seconds or so. So I guess that makes it pretty much unwatchable. I'm not sure how many Mbps the file was, it was on my atv2. Sorry I don't have much info I'm just trying to get more info out to the community.
bam099 Wrote:I played back a 1080p mkv over SMB share on wired network. I didn't notice the judder issues that other people talked but I did notice that it needed to stop for buffering every 30 seconds or so. So I guess that makes it pretty much unwatchable. I'm not sure how many Mbps the file was, it was on my atv2. Sorry I don't have much info I'm just trying to get more info out to the community.
I wonder if it's a RAM issue in your case? The ATV2 only has 256MB, whereas the iphone 4 has 512MB.

I just tested on my phone and with no other apps running, started XBMC and went straight to System Info. XBMC reports 40% memory used, so I'm guessing that would be closer to 80% on the ATV2, maybe less as you won't have the same memory usage as the phone with all it's radios, etc.

EDIT: I ran a 90MB 1080p MKV 1 min sample file, and while it was playing I checked Sys Info again (gesture was swipe left while movie is playing to get to the menu) and my RAM usage went up to 54%.

EDIT 2: I'm now streaming a movie from Navi-X and Sys Info is showing 41% memory usage. Pretty impressive!
Thats true you're probably right about the lack of RAM contributing especially if other people haven't noticed it. I wonder if there's a way to increase the video cache because I think the atv2 has 8 gigs of internal storage.
bam099,
I have been testing 1080P content and have not had a single buffering issue. Movie starts right away and plays smoothly throughout.

I am connected via the wire ethernet over 100mbps. If you can, try pluggin the ATV2 to the same switch where you are storing the movie files. If it's going through multiple switches, there could be an issue somewhere on your network. I had an issue like that once two years ago with an old switch causing a similar problem.
Without seeing mediainfo dumps of 1080p content people are playing, it's really hard to know why one person has a problem and another does not. There are SO many different ways something could have been encoded, but the big ones that really would effect differences in results would be:

-Level
-Bitrate
-fps

I'm personally going to do testing tomorrow and build a little table to show my results. I have a lot of 1080p MKV's at various encoding settings, so I can get a good feel of what works well, and what does not.

Also, the way you are connected to the network si big. 802.11n wifi is simply not adequate for MOST 1080p streaming. So if any of you who are getting stuttering happened to be on Wifi, plug in and try again.
dazex Wrote:bam099,
I have been testing 1080P content and have not had a single buffering issue. Movie starts right away and plays smoothly throughout.

I am connected via the wire ethernet over 100mbps. If you can, try pluggin the ATV2 to the same switch where you are storing the movie files. If it's going through multiple switches, there could be an issue somewhere on your network. I had an issue like that once two years ago with an old switch causing a similar problem.

dazex,
I am hooked into my Linksys WRT54G router, the source (hackintosh running 10.6.6) and the ATV2 (I forget the fw maybe 4.1.1, it's untethered so not the newest) are both plugged in via cat5 no wireless. I know I can't get EXTREMELY specific because as pointed out there are so many different variables when playing the file. Maybe I'll use VLC and try to find out the mbps framerates and all that stuff. I was just throwing this out to let people know. I also read someone else that was on wired and had a stuttering 720p which mine has been able to handle flawlessly (only watched TV shows so far so <2GB .mkv files) but works perfectly.

I'll try to get some more info on the 1080p file. I thought what we need to do is upload some 1080p and 720p sample files to rapidshare or some other service then we could test wired, wireless, etc to see if people have similar experience.
Edit: I am curious...here's the info from VLC
I didn't watch long enough to find out if it was playing the foreign audio or if it natively chose English (I also didn't know how to switch between them on the fly) so this dual audio and all that might have been an issue too.
Type Video
Codec H264- MPEG-4 AVC (Part 10) (a
Resolution 1920x816
Frame Rate 24.000384

Stream 1
Type Audio
Codec DTS Audio (dts)
Language Deutsch
Channels 3F2R/LFE
Sample Rate 48000 Hz
Bitrate 1536 kb/s

Stream 2
Type Audio
Codec DTS Audio (dts)
Language English
Channels 6
Sample Rate 48000 Hz
bam099,
Those info helps. Are you accessing your source via SMB sharing? I once had an issue with uPNP shares and had to go into my WRT54G and clear all the uPNP cache and then uPNP work properly again.

I agree with having some sort of common source material so we can playback for testing. Question is, what non copyrighted source is there to use?

There is a long standing issue on the Apple forum with Netflix playback and how picky the ATV was on the DNS server used. I know, it sounds wierd but are you perhaps using OpenDNS server for DNS resolution?

Also, try adding your source via IP instead of hostname to remove name resolution as a possible source of the issue. Grasping at straws but worth a shot. What material are you playing that exhibit the issue anyways?
dazex,
Yes it's over SMB. The issue of non copyrighted is definitely going to be the hardest obstacle! But I know SMB is not the most efficient way of sharing files, but networking is sadly not my greatest strength and it's easy. But I hope this info helps someone along
Actually, I think SMB is the way to go for XBMC. Smile Always works great for me.
i can confirm every 1080p mkv file with profile 4.1 or higher the atv2 played just fine! Everything via SMB no buffering no nothing, everything works great! the develover should focus more on DTS und AC3 Sound which realy dosen't work! I just donated because it is a realy nice think to have xbmc on the atv2. thanks to the developers! Cool
bam099: Can you run mediainfo on the sample file you have been used and post all the info mediainfo gives? Your video info didn't include the bitrate, which is a critical piece of info.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV2] Confirm 1080p video decoding / playback with 720p or 1080p output?0