[AppleTV2] xbmc on new ATV 2G
Davilla and everyone involved.
Many thanks for creating this. I have today rushed out and bought a new ATV2 (already have and love my original one for many years with xbmc on).
I am just wondering if someone can let me know when I am ssh'd into the box, where would xbmc live?
I want to change my keymaps and videoosd.xml to be like my old one for confluence, but cannot see the location once ssh'd in to do this.
Cheers,
Dean
Quote: I have today rushed out and bought a new ATV2

Which firmware revision did it come with out of the box? If 4.1, did you get it from Apple store or other? thanks.
4.1.1 from comet (uk electrical store)
I wonder how likely I am to purchase a new Apple TV 2nd gen and get 4.1 on it out of the box. I wonder if buying from Best Buy would be more likely than the Apple Store. (I say this because only 4.1 is an untethered jailbreak to my knowledge). Any comments?
Is there no way to downgrade the firmware like you can on an iphone or ipad?
Also find that when scraping for details, it stops and the whole atv hangs (e.g. after 100 movies, it hung, and after 20 tv shows it hung when tested independently of each other). Is it possible to stop Xbmc without having to reboot the device (and then tether boot again)?
There is no way to downgrade the firmware unless you have the SHSH blobs. And if you are buying new, there is no way to get older SHSH blobs.

I purchased an ATV2 from the Apple Store last weekend. They had at least 60 on the shelf, and I'm sure more in the back. Mine had 4.1.1 (4.2.1). So it's more likely than not that you will get one with the new firmware.

4.1.1 (4.2.1) can be jailbroken easily, it just requires you to tether to a computer for the bootup. It's really not a huge deal because ATV2 never turns off unless YOU pull the power out of it or loose power at home (solve that with a UPS). The only other way you'd need to tether again to boot the jailbreak is if you manually reboot the device, or you install some app that requires a reboot.

I've had my ATV2 plugged in since last weekend and only tether booted it once. ATVFlash, Plex Client, XBMC. NONE of them require a reboot. They only require a "respring" of the GUI.
Weavus,
Is there a reason why you would need to downgrade? Is it for the ability to untethered jailbreak?

The thing about the Apple TV is it never shuts down. It simply goes to sleep. So I have never had a need to tether to boot up after the initial jailbreak. And if you do need to tether, the Seas0nPass app makes it a simple operation. That is if you currently have a Mac laptop to tether to.

However, to specifically answer your question...to downgrade any IOS device, you'll need the SHSH key saved for the version you want to downgrade to. So if your devices newly comes from the factory with the latest version, you won't be able downgrade IOS version because you don't have this SHSH key save while Apple's server were signing for it. Sorry.

-Dazex
HDClown Wrote:4.1.1 (4.2.1) can be jailbroken easily, it just requires you to tether to a computer for the bootup. It's really not a huge deal because ATV2 never turns off unless YOU pull the power out of it or loose power at home (solve that with a UPS). The only other way you'd need to tether again to boot the jailbreak is if you manually reboot the device, or you install some app that requires a reboot.

I've had my ATV2 plugged in since last weekend and only tether booted it once. ATVFlash, Plex Client, XBMC. NONE of them require a reboot. They only require a "respring" of the GUI.

So I guess it doesn't really matter if it comes with the newest firmware, BUT whats the latest firmware that does NOT require a tether? 4.1 \ 4.2 ?

So once i pick up the ATV2 from best buy, i can follow this guide ONLY if the ATV2 comes with 4.1 ?

Regarding the above guide, for step 3 - it would be what ever your current firmware is (since we cant downgrade) ?

I found this site with all the current firmware locations.

Also whats the difference between ATVFlash, Plex Client and XBMC ?
HD Clown, can you please let me know how to respring the gui.
the shell prompt is not like the old atv or linux/unix in terms of commands available or locations once ssh'd in.
dazex Wrote:The thing about the Apple TV is it never shuts down. It simply goes to sleep. So I have never had a need to tether to boot up after the initial jailbreak. And if you do need to tether, the Seas0nPass app makes it a simple operation. That is if you currently have a Mac laptop to tether to.
If it's stable, it's not really a problem. But if it's not stable, then it could be a big hassle. My 1st gen ATV locks up in XBMC about 2-3 times per month and needs the cord pulled to reset. It's a nuisance, but I can live with it. If I had to tether a laptop to reboot that often, it would be more trouble than it's worth.
Man, this would be a DREAM come true once XBMC actually integrates TV functionality in. I would be able to convert all my friends overnight.
Is this chart correct?
Code:
ReleaseDate  Firmware  IOSVers  Build  Untethered Jailbreak as of Jan-21-2011?
=====================================================================
Initial      4.0       4.1      8M89   Yes
Nov-24-2010  4.1       4.2.1    8c150  No
Dec-15-2010  4.1.1     4.2.1    8c154  No
toshiba1 Wrote:Is this chart correct?
Code:
ReleaseDate  Firmware  IOSVers  Build  Untethered Jailbreak as of Jan-21-2011?
=====================================================================
Initial      4.0       4.1      8M89   Yes
Nov-24-2010  4.1       4.2.1    8c150  Yes
Dec-15-2010  4.1.1     4.2.1    8c154  No

I don't think any newer device running 4.2.1 can be untethered at this point. So ATV2 with firmware 4.1 and 4.1.1 runing IOSver 4.2.1 can only tethered boot at this point in time.
candre23 Wrote:If it's stable, it's not really a problem. But if it's not stable, then it could be a big hassle. My 1st gen ATV locks up in XBMC about 2-3 times per month and needs the cord pulled to reset. It's a nuisance, but I can live with it. If I had to tether a laptop to reboot that often, it would be more trouble than it's worth.

You're right. Hopefully it will become as stable as my Revo Ubuntu XBMC is. However, personally...even with locking up 2-3 times per month is worth it for XBMC. I use that daily and my laptop is always near anyways. Smile

The Seas0nPass application does make it very easy to boot up.

It's definitely early in the port of XBMC to IOS to determine stability. But it looks very promising so far. Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV2] xbmc on new ATV 2G0