• 16(current)
[AppleTV2] MySQL database / library support?
TheRealDL Wrote:I vote against putting ANY artwork into the DB. I feel that performance on the MySQL DB is slow enough that throwing (in my case) over 500MB of artwork at it is counter productive.

The SAMBA shortcuts work perfectly on iOS and will be rolled into the Desktop releases. In the mean time, a couple of Symlinks ain't half bad.

That said, why is my iPad and iPhone 4 soooo much slower using XBMC than the Apple TV?? Battery vs. ACHuh??

Cheers!

PS... Looks as though it's possible to implement DB storage with FUSE but I don't know if XBMC will be able to use it.
Linux.com::Using MySQL as a filesystem

man, loading thumbs remotely on ATV2 is slower than anything i have ever seen in my whole life
--
prophetizer Wrote:man, loading thumbs remotely on ATV2 is slower than anything i have ever seen in my whole life

i have it remotely loading thumbs and fanart on mine and the load time isnt that bad. maybe <30 seconds to get into the movie library and then from there everything loads fairly quickly. tv show library (which is smaller (about 25 shows)) loads instantly
thesuffering Wrote:i tried both, didnt work :-( hopefully the new unofficial builds from keith will get up the the same as the xbmc nightlies so they are on the same db version. windows doesnt want to play nice with me

newest atv nightly and win32 nightly are on the same DB so this is a non issue now.
Has anyone made step-by-step instructions for those that wouldn't know how to do a single step of this without hand holding? Including installing MySQL onto a remote instance of Windows and/or Linux?

thanks!
See this post:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=80829

I have managed to get it work on my ATV2 and Windows PC.

Any way, I could try to write a step-by-step guide.
thesuffering Wrote:i have it remotely loading thumbs and fanart on mine and the load time isnt that bad. maybe <30 seconds to get into the movie library and then from there everything loads fairly quickly. tv show library (which is smaller (about 25 shows)) loads instantly

i moved my thumbs back locally, and it's still slow, not as slow but still very slow, slower that i think it should be
--
prophetizer Wrote:i moved my thumbs back locally, and it's still slow, not as slow but still very slow, slower that i think it should be

you did add skip-name-resolve right? mine ran slow as hell until i did that
yes, i have that setup as well. don't know, maybe it's suppose to be that slow
--
When using MySQL with multiple XBMC devices, do the settings (audio, video, etc) get sync'd to the database, or is this local to each device only?

I have two ATV2's set to use the same MySQL database but the audio/video settings are different..video has different screen dimension adjustments, and speaker config and DD support is different for each device.
I just purchased an atv2 and I'm trying to configure it to use my SQL database, but when I launch XBMC I'm getting the following errors in the log file. I'm running Keith's nightly build from March 26th. I'm also getting the same error on my Windows machine running a nightly build from March 29th.

Quote:20:16:36 T:147484672 M:157954048 NOTICE: Attempting to update the database xbmc_video from version 42 to 50
20:16:36 T:147484672 M:157941760 DEBUG: Mysql Start transaction
20:16:36 T:147484672 M:157937664 DEBUG: Mysql execute: ALTER table settings add VerticalShift float
20:16:36 T:147484672 M:157929472 ERROR: SQL: Undefined MySQL error: Code (1060)
Query: ALTER table settings add VerticalShift float
20:16:36 T:147484672 M:157913088 ERROR: Error attempting to update the database version!
20:16:36 T:147484672 M:157908992 DEBUG: Mysql rollback transaction
20:16:36 T:147484672 M:157908992 ERROR: Can't update the database xbmc_video from version 42 to 50
20:16:36 T:147484672 M:157904896 ERROR: Unable to open database xbmc_video
i have what may be a very simple problem, that, after reading through all 24 pages of this thread, i can't seem to find a solution.

bit of background: i have all my media (and mysql) on a windows home server, i have a HTPC with Windows 7, and atv2 in the bedroom. I have changed advancedsettings.xml to map to mysql and this works fine on both machines.

my atv2 connects fine to the mysql server, but whenever i try to play anything, it says the file no longer exists.

in xbmc.log, i get "permission denied" errors whenever it tries to go get a file.

I'm assuming the problem is that it doesn't have the user/pass combination to gain access to my server, but I've no idea where/how to feed this in.

Would appreciate any help you guys can provide on this.

thanks in advance

EDIT:

Scratch that - all seems to be working now. I set the folder on the server to allow everyone to access, and I made sure that the server folders were in videos as sources.
HDClown Wrote:When using MySQL with multiple XBMC devices, do the settings (audio, video, etc) get sync'd to the database, or is this local to each device only?

I have two ATV2's set to use the same MySQL database but the audio/video settings are different..video has different screen dimension adjustments, and speaker config and DD support is different for each device.

This won't be a problem. The database maintains information about the media only, not about settings.

bisk Wrote:I just purchased an atv2 and I'm trying to configure it to use my SQL database, but when I launch XBMC I'm getting the following errors in the log file. I'm running Keith's nightly build from March 26th. I'm also getting the same error on my Windows machine running a nightly build from March 29th.

Do you still have an XBMC install where the database works ?
If so I'd strongly recommend exporting that database (Settings->Video->Library->Export database->Single file) and starting from scratch with recent builds. A lot of stuff has happened to the builds since March 26th. For one, the navigation is a lot more responsive on the ATV.
I couldn't find this mentioned anywhere, so I'll mention it in this thread. One more post can't hurt :-)

Adding to the great post by TheRealDL from February 27th in this thread, I found that this extra grant for the non-admin user is great to add:

Code:
GRANT ALL ON xbmc_video.streamdetails to 'xbmc';

This ensures that when you have newly acquired media in your database which hasn't been properly scanned, information about the stream (720p, 1080p, Dolby 5.1, DTS, etc) gets picked up by your ATV2 client and then actually get stored in the central database.
TheRealDL I followed your excelent guide

... but i can't put to work the ATV2 with the normal user Sad if I change to the user admin everything works. Do you have any idea of the problem??

This is my log file: xbmc.log

and this is my advancedsettings.xml:

<advancedsettings>

<videodatabase>
<type>mysql</type>
<host>192.168.1.170</host>
<port>3306</port>
<user>atv2</user>
<pass>atv2</pass>
<name>xbmc_video</name>
</videodatabase>

<musicdatabase>
<type>mysql</type>
<host>192.168.1.170</host>
<port>3306</port>
<user>atv2</user>
<pass>atv2</pass>
<name>xbmc_music</name>
</musicdatabase>

<pathsubstitution>
<substitute>
<from>special://masterprofile/Thumbnails</from>
<to>smb://atv2:[email protected]/XBMCThumbnails/</to>
</substitute>
</pathsubstitution>

</advancedsettings>

Anynone can help? please Sad thanks

Regards

VF
This is definitely something I'd like to get going on my network, as I have 2 ATVs and would love to sync everything. Has anyone gotten this setup and running on a WHS 2011 machine? I tried to install MySQL but can't get the MySql command prompt to launch, so I'm stuck. (Sorry that this is not directly ATV related, but if anyone could PM me with any suggestions to get MySQL access on WHS 2011, that would be great!)

SM
  • 16(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV2] MySQL database / library support?1