[AppleTV2] How to play .avi files on ATV2?
I recently installed XBMC on my jailbroken AppleTV2. What I want to do now is play .avi files that are currently stored on my Windows PC. I browsed to the path for that server and located the folder of all my .avi files. Great!

Now when I go back to the video menu and select an .avi movie to play nothing happens. There is a symbol at the bottom right corner saying that it is working, but nothing happens.

Is there a plugin of some sort that will allow the playback of .avi files?

I have the latest OS version of ATV2.
You have to play them from within xbmc. Installing xbmc will not allow them to be played from apples interface. Need to launch xbmc add the source in there and play from xbmc. I am playing avi and mkv files no problem
kingoftowns Wrote:You have to play them from within xbmc. Installing xbmc will not allow them to be played from apples interface. Need to launch xbmc add the source in there and play from xbmc. I am playing avi and mkv files no problem

Thanks for the response. That's too bad. I could have gotten rid of one extra hardware in my entertainment system if it could play .avi files. Cool
RoarinRow Wrote:Thanks for the response. That's too bad. I could have gotten rid of one extra hardware in my entertainment system if it could play .avi files. Cool

What were you expecting to get rid of? You need your server to store the files and the atv to play them on the tv... xbmc will play just about any file you throw at it on the atv.
-stoli-
Thanks all, I think I figured it out. I was trying to play an .avi through another server software on my PC. Instead I just put a video in a folder that was already shared out to xbmc and I was able to play the video.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV2] How to play .avi files on ATV2?0