• 7(current)
[AppleTV2] HOW-TO to enable AC3 and DTS output for Apple TV 2
I also got it to work using the optical to coax adapter..
Thumbs Up 
Kaiserlein Wrote:I had the same problem:

The problem with the clicking once or twice and then nothing is NOT the apple TV (most of the time) it is your Receiver !

So you need to go into settings of your receiver and tell it to wait for the triggersignal (in most cases for "input" you can try to set it on "auto") - DO NOT SET YOUR RECEIVER ON A CERTAIN KIND OF SIGNAL - just let it do its work when thrown an audio signal at it.

Thank you Kaiserlein - your hint worked for me! I have a Sony AV receiver and I went into the following setting via the AV receiver front panel:
Customize>Dec. Priority and I set it to Auto and the DD and DTS movies worked straight away.

Thank you, thank you - it was driving me crazy when the sound wasn't working. Smile
That's cool...

I'm glad it helped more people... hopefully a few other people with these Problems read my post and are able to fix it...
-----
@rawkill:

what version are you using ?
Which audio format are your files (aac does not work)...
More info would be nice.
-----
mhh,...

Did you try turning on ac3 and dts in system settings under system->audio->ac3 and dts.
check both boxes and tell xbmc to output 7.1.

Also in a movie, try holding the middle button on the remote and going into audio settings. What is written there ? ac3, dts, stereo, ... over hdmi, optical/koaxial or analog? Don't check the: stereo over all speakers menu item.

let's search more. I'm sure there is a fix.
-----
how about rejailbreaking that thing ?
Did you try just plugging the hdmi into the tv ?
-----
poniboi Wrote:I have a Sony AV receiver and I went into the following setting via the AV receiver front panel:
Customize>Dec. Priority and I set it to Auto and the DD and DTS movies worked straight away.

For what it's worth, I'm suffering from 'silence' when attempting to pass AC3 to an older Sony STR-DB930 amp over optical that works perfectly with XBMC on a Mac Mini.

With AC3 enabled in XBMC, my AC3 movies play without any sound at all. The Amp display incorrectly shows 'Digital 2.0'. If I cycle through the Amps 'Input Modes' (Auto -> Optical -> Analogue and back again to either 'Auto' or 'Optical') the Amp's lcd correctly shows 'Digital 5.1' but there's still no sound!

Running unofficial build from 4 Feb; happy to provide debug logs or attempt troubleshooting steps if anyone needs a tester for this issue. FWIW, my Sony amp was also fussy when XBMC on Mac was using Port Audio back in 2009, before phi2039 did his magic with the coreaudio changes.
I tried Keiserleins trick of playing around with the Receiver Decoding and setting it to auto while in HDMI mode ( I Have a Denon AVR391 reciever). It was already set to Auto and there was static (Receiver Displays PCM input). I did however switch the decode mode to DTS and then back to Auto while the movie was playing and then I had full AC3 and DTS audio decoding. It appears that there is something going on in the bitstream being handed off to the reciever which makes it get interpreted as a PCM stream or perhaps the initial HDMI handshaking is messed up?. Perhaps XBMC sending out the wrong format information or perhaps its missing an encoding header. Perhaps some recievers may be better at guessing the format than others?
Another strange thing is that after switching back and forth between dts and back to Auto decode mode it will correctly playback all Ac3 and dts streams until you turn off the reciever. At which time you have to swap back between DTS and auto decode mode on the receiver before it all works again.
Outside of XBMC, AC3 movies streams fine directly from iTunes via HDMI and get decoded correctly without doing the manual DTS -> Auto trickery on the reciever. I have a NETTOP running XBMC and it works fine with this reciever as well.

Optical out works fine though with AppleTV 2G XBMC and I think I'll stick with that for now.
Smile 
Fergus Wrote:If I cycle through the Amps 'Input Modes' (Auto -> Optical -> Analogue and back again to either 'Auto' or 'Optical') the Amp's lcd correctly shows 'Digital 5.1' but there's still no sound!

hi Fergus

I also originally tried to change the Input Modes you refer to above but they make no difference, (as you have also found)...

The setting that did work for me was accessed behind the front drop down panel on my receiver. It was labelled Customize>Dec. Priority (ie: Decode Priority) the 2 options to choose from were PCM or AUTO. See if you can find some similar settings on your Sony.
poniboi Wrote:hi Fergus

I also originally tried to change the Input Modes you refer to above but they make no difference, (as you have also found)...

The setting that did work for me was accessed behind the front drop down panel on my receiver. It was labelled Customize>Dec. Priority (ie: Decode Priority) the 2 options to choose from were PCM or AUTO. See if you can find some similar settings on your Sony.

Thanks for taking the time out to help. The nearest I can see on my amp however is the 'Auto Format Decode' setting, which doesn't work for me on the ATV2 despite working a treat on the Mac Mini. Think I'm stuck with no AC3 or DTS for a while yet.
Hello.

I'm running software version 4.1.1, os build version 4.2.1 and xbmc 10.0-6.

I've tried playing with the different settings from the config file, as well as connecting to an external decoder through the optical output.

If I choose optical out, I get a glitch when the movie starts, then nothing.
I've tried with 2 different decoders, same result.

However, the clic sound of the original Apple TV interface menu is being heard when going from one item to the other, using the optical out through the same decoder. So, the problem seems to be with XBMC itself.

With the second optical decoder I have on hand, I get loud static.

Also, if I choose "analog out" or "hdmi out", I get sound, but as with everyone else, the center channel gets sent to the right front channel. The downmix matrix is wrong.

Any ideas?
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV2] HOW-TO to enable AC3 and DTS output for Apple TV 21