• 13(current)
[AppleTV2] HOW-TO to enable AC3 and DTS output for Apple TV 2
don't change these settings in the xml directly ... change it in the gui ... i would recommend you delete that part from the xml and reconfigure your audio in the xbmc settings...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
mystiqu Wrote:Hey

Here is my config that does not work:

ATV2
IOS 4.3 with XBMC PRE-11.0
Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR607
Video source: HDMI
Sound source: Optical
Video and Sound all goes through the receiver

ATV2 4.3 Jailbreak -> HDMI output (Video) -> Onkyo Receiver -> LG TV
ATV2 4.3 Jailbreak -> HDMI output (Sound) -> Onkyo Receiver -> LG TV

Code:
<audiooutput>
        <ac3passthrough>true</ac3passthrough>
        <audiodevice>Default Output Device</audiodevice>
        <channellayout>7</channellayout> //tried 5.1 also
        <dontnormalizelevels>true</dontnormalizelevels>
        <dtspassthrough>true</dtspassthrough>
        <mode>2</mode>
        <passthroughaac>false</passthroughaac>
        <passthroughmp1>false</passthroughmp1>
        <passthroughmp2>false</passthroughmp2>
        <passthroughmp3>false</passthroughmp3>
    </audiooutput>

I think mode stands for:
1: optical/coax
2: HDMI

No matter which settings I play around with I just get static output when ac3/dts passthrough is enabled Sad

Did you try exiting XBMC, and going to Apple TV > Settings > Audio & Video > Audio Output and setting it to "16 bit"?
Quote:Did you try exiting XBMC, and going to Apple TV > Settings > Audio & Video > Audio Output and setting it to "16 bit"?

Yes - unfortunately it didn´t make any difference Sad
Big Grin 
mystiqu Wrote:Yes - unfortunately it didn´t make any difference Sad

I just reverted back to the original settings everywhere (sound: auto), not dts and ac3 passthrough etc and made another try - guess what?

It works :p

I´ve no idea why it worked this time though - the only thing I can think of is that I now begun with setting the sound to 16 bit before enabling ac3 and dts passthrough.

Anyhow - thanks alot everyone Big Grin
Maetrik Wrote:Working:
ATV2 4.2.1 ---> HDMI ---> Onkyo TX-SR507 ---> Samsung TV (via HDMI again) - no sound problems or statics at all.

I have the exact same setup as Maetrik and my receiver is not detecting Dolby Digital when playing video through XBMC. The receiver does however however detect Dolby Digital just fine when playing Netflix on the ATV2 or a rented movie from iTunes.

Moreover, I can play a file through the XBOX Media Center, that is connected the same way as the ATV2, and it will detect Dolby Digital. The same file does not play in Dolby Digital when played through XBMC.

The single point of failure here seems to be XBMC.

Maetrik, did you have to change anything in the guisettings.xml file to get your setup working? So far I have changed the following two options in that file (changed from false to true):

broughaj Wrote:I have the exact same setup as Maetrik and my receiver is not detecting Dolby Digital when playing video through XBMC. The receiver does however however detect Dolby Digital just fine when playing Netflix on the ATV2 or a rented movie from iTunes.

Moreover, I can play a file through the XBOX Media Center, that is connected the same way as the ATV2 and it will detect Dolby Digital.

The single point of failure here seems to be XBMC.

Maetrik, did you have to change anything in the guisettings.xml file to get your setup working? So far I have changed the following two options in that file (changed from false to true):

Just a thought, have you selected your audio output and speaker config appropriately in System -> System -> Audio output ?

If I have helped you in any way, please forgive me, it was entirely accidental.
beddy Wrote:Did you try exiting XBMC, and going to Apple TV > Settings > Audio & Video > Audio Output and setting it to "16 bit"?

Thank you very much for your suggestion, that was the magic setting that made the whole thing work for me. I do currently still have AC3 and DTS passthrough enabled in xbmc, but after changing that output setting from AUTO to 16bit the DTC and AC3 starting working through my receiver and the static/feedback was gone.

Thanks again!
pasjk Wrote:I set up XBMC for optical out- AC3 and DTS- in the ATV2 XBMC settings menu.
Get a horrible sound in playback through my receiver.
If I go back and set for analog all is ok, using Dolby Prologic or any other setting (except of course it won't show Dolby Digital setting) on the receiver.
So,I went into the files as shown below.
I have never changed anything prior to this. Got in just fine.
I just installed XBMC last week.
For me, the "false" was already "true" in both lines.
Any suggestions? Is there something I need to set differently in XBMC on the ATV2 or in ATV2 itself . I set ATV2 to 16 bit just in case of a problem. I was using default. I was not having any difficulties with sound through TV or sound system, so I will put it back to auto.

Just tinkered around a bit in /var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC/userdata/guisettings.xml and flipped these two on, hoping it'd work, and it did:

In the <audiooutput> section, change "false" to "true" on the following entries:

<ac3passthrough>false</ac3passthrough>
<dtspassthrough>false</dtspassthrough>

I am now getting AC3 passed through from the SPDIF out to my 7.1 receiver. Overall video playback is also a lot smoother now that it's not downmixing to 2.0 audio it seems.

I can confirm that this works with my setup as well. I have Apple TV 2 4.3 latest build of XBMC (not nightly). Old Pioneer Receiver with Optical input from the Apple TV 2. Thanks!!
I also discovered that if I use my manual setting rahter than auto on the Pioneer receiver and then choose Dolby Digital, I do get 5.1 although the little redlight does not go on.
For someone who is new at all of this what exactly does enabling this option do. Does it let us hear certain sound files or what. I have a home theater system with the ATV 2 hooked up to it by hdmi. It's 5.1 and has two front speakers, center, subwhoofer, but I haven't hooked up the two surround sound speakers.

Can someone explain why this feature would be helpful.
exiledone1 Wrote:For someone who is new at all of this what exactly does enabling this option do. Does it let us hear certain sound files or what. I have a home theater system with the ATV 2 hooked up to it by hdmi. It's 5.1 and has two front speakers, center, subwhoofer, but I haven't hooked up the two surround sound speakers.

Can someone explain why this feature would be helpful.

Didn't i answer you question on you other thread already? I know it wasn't much detailed - but crossposting is not nice...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
This is a completely different question...at least in my opinion. I'm just curious as to what these settings do exactly as I don't know much about this stuff. Do they make the sound better, do they only need to be used for someone with a receiver, so on and so on. My question is just what do these settings do exactly.

My other question from the other thread was just about getting the best settings for my sound system and if I should enable certain settings which I didn't understand. I will admit that If I understood more about stereo systems and terms and other things related to this field then maybe the answer you just posted from the other thread would then make this thread make sense to me, but since I'm a noob I don't see the connection at all Sad

I'm sure it does since you say so and obviously you know a lot more than I do about this subject, but once again, to me I don't see them as being related only because I don't know enough to see how they are related. I hope that made sense

So on my part this was was not meant as a cross post at all.That wasn't my attention. I do sincerely apologize if it seems that way, but that is just lack of knowledge on these things due on my part. I was just sincerely curious in what these settings do exactly. I hope I have clarified my intentions .
Thanks
I've read through most of this thread and have tried most if not all of the solutions for getting this to work. I have ATV2 hooked up to my TV via HDMI. My ATV2 is running Darwin 10.4.0 and my firmware for the ATV2 is 4.1.1.

I have a few movies that are DTS @ 1510 kbps and most of the sound comes in fine but I'm missing some channels most noticeably the speech at times. Here is what my guisettings.xml looks like:
<audiooutput>
<audiodevice>Default</audiodevice>
<channellayout>0</channellayout>
<dontnormalizelevels>true</dontnormalizelevels>
<mode>0</mode>
<passthroughaac>false</passthroughaac>
<passthroughmp1>false</passthroughmp1>
<passthroughmp2>false</passthroughmp2>
<passthroughmp3>false</passthroughmp3>
</audiooutput>
I've changed the <channellayout> to 5 and 7 and when I switch the mode from inside XBMC from Analog to HDMI or Coax I get static.

Is this hopeless for me to think this will work with my setup or am I missing something. Running XBMC on my pc these movies all play just fine.

Any help is appreciated.
Ok, i think i red all, best i get is DTS working perfectly, AC3 is silent - meaning DD3/2 is recognised, receiver is decoding, but there is no sound at all!

APT->optical(audio only)->SONY DTS&AC3 capable receiver.

Any help?
I am new the the ATV2 but not new to XBMC, not using a receiver at the moment just direct to my tv (Pioneer Plasma). For some reason when playing back AC3 I am only getting voice output on the right speaker! Help appreciated.
  • 13(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV2] HOW-TO to enable AC3 and DTS output for Apple TV 21