• 9(current)
[AppleTV2] NFS on Apple TV 2?
Anth0 Wrote:Not so stupid actually. I did not know I had to restart something. I thought modifications were taken into account immediately.
Problem solved Smile Now XBMC is scanning my whole library!

Nope, it's just a flat text config file. You need to tell the server to reload it.

There are 2 ways to do it from the command line:
sudo /etc/init.d/nfs-kernel-server restart | any Debian based OS.
sudo exportfs -ra | should work on any Linux NFS.

Or if you have a Web GUI just stop and start the NFS server.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
ha! ... thats really funny ... well - next problem i troubleshoot will have this question in it aswell Wink

... will add a hint to the wiki
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
quick question:

on the ATV2 when I try and add my nfs ip/path i leave the port to the default (2049, i think it is). once i add the ip/path (eventhough I get an error that xbmc cant connect to the network drive), it shows up as:
Code:
nfs://1.2.3.4:2049/path/to/export
with the port within the IP block. I know this is normally where the port goes but i didnt see it like that in any of the examples in the thread. I was wondering if maybe this is whats screwing me up or if its okay like that
DaveNinja Wrote:quick question:

on the ATV2 when I try and add my nfs ip/path i leave the port to the default (2049, i think it is). once i add the ip/path (eventhough I get an error that xbmc cant connect to the network drive), it shows up as:
Code:
nfs://1.2.3.4:2049/path/to/export
with the port within the IP block. I know this is normally where the port goes but i didnt see it like that in any of the examples in the thread. I was wondering if maybe this is whats screwing me up or if its okay like that

Nope - most people don't add the path via the browse feature, so the port wont be part of the path.
But it doesn't matter either way - the system defaults to that port Smile

Problem is on the serverside then.
Question 
I still have a problem with my NFS connection I think.

ATV2 can connect to my NAS through NFS and I can see my folders, I created a movie library and I can play movies.

But... each time I open XBMC, it tries to update my libraries (which is a good thing) but it keeps poping a dialog box saying "Unable to connect to remote server. Would you like to continue scanning?". If I say No it stops and then I'm able to do whatever I want. But if I say yes (because I want it to update my libraries) it'll keep poping this window up several times and eventually it'll either update the library or crash...

Moreover this is a pain in the ass since it stops doing anything while I haven't say Yes or No to the dialog box so if I'm not in front of my TV to check on it my libraries will never be updated.

Any ideas ? You'll find my log below.

http://pastebin.com/bg931sfN
There is still a problem with your NFS.

Quote:ERROR: NFS: Failed to mount nfs share: RPC error: Mount failed with error MNT3ERR_NOENT(2) Operation not permitted(1)

You're still getting permissions errors.

Have you rebooted the NAS or restarted the NFS service since you had it working?

Can you check your exports ("cat /etc/exports") and see if it's changed?

If I have helped you in any way, please forgive me, it was entirely accidental.
Anth0 Wrote:But... each time I open XBMC, it tries to update my libraries (which is a good thing) but it keeps poping a dialog box saying "Unable to connect to remote server. Would you like to continue scanning?". If I say No it stops and then I'm able to do whatever I want. But if I say yes (because I want it to update my libraries) it'll keep poping this window up several times and eventually it'll either update the library or crash..[/url]

Not an NFS bug. It's driving the rest of us crazy too.
Code:
1. there seems to be more then one nfs share in your setup - and at least one doesn't have the right permissions (so the nfs mount error log spamming happens)
2. the problem you described is a scraper problem as far is i remember and has nothing to do with nfs ... so basically "what darkscout said" Wink

But i thought the scraper things where fixed in the latest nightly? Maybe i'm miss informed there ...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
ben33400 Wrote:And I can see folders with smb, why not nfs ?

To be sure ... It is currently normal that:
- I can see folders with SMB ?
- I can't see folders with NFS ?

I understood "yes" and just want to confirm.

Thanks.
Cranial Wrote:There is still a problem with your NFS.
Have you rebooted the NAS or restarted the NFS service since you had it working?

Can you check your exports ("cat /etc/exports") and see if it's changed?
NAS has been rebooted and the exports are good in /etc/exports.

Memphiz Wrote:1. there seems to be more then one nfs share in your setup - and at least one doesn't have the right permissions (so the nfs mount error log spamming happens)
Weird... I configured only one NFS share for /volume1/video. I have two folders within /volume1/video which are "TV" and "Movies". I created a first library for movies linked to the "Movies" folder and then I tried and created a second library for tv shows linked on the TV folder. But both libraries are linked on the same NFS share. Is this a problem?

Memphiz Wrote:2. the problem you described is a scraper problem as far is i remember and has nothing to do with nfs ... so basically "what darkscout said"

But i thought the scraper things where fixed in the latest nightly? Maybe i'm miss informed there ...
You must be right on this point. I'll do an apt-get update tonight when I'll be at home.
ben33400 Wrote:To be sure ... It is currently normal that:
- I can see folders with SMB ?
- I can't see folders with NFS ?

I understood "yes" and just want to confirm.

Thanks.

No, that's not normal.

Long answer: Some NFS setups have the side-effect of not being able to see folders - however a fix is in the pipeline. No ETA yet.
The problem of not being able to see folders are mostly present if the NFS server is *BSD or Solaris based. Although it can present itself on other platforms..
jlor Wrote:The problem of not being able to see folders are mostly present if the NFS server is *BSD or Solaris based.

My server is Mac OS X SL ... so BSD Based.
So I have to wait for another release of XBMC.
Thanks.
You can't browse folders, but I believe it still scrapes fine.
Code:
maybe, but it is not a satisfying option to SMB yet.
when scraping does not work, it is useful to have a easy folder browser !

I hope it will be corrected soon, because of the soon release of Lion, and its poor poor smb implementation (from what I have read).
I don't believe scraping will work because the NFS client can't read the files in sub-directories, so how should it scrape them? Smile

Anyway, I suppose you could grab the newest version of the nfslib from their git, compile it yourself and drop it in.. That might work, but I honestly wouldn't know where to start.. I have never done any real compiling on a Mac OSX platform.
  • 9(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV2] NFS on Apple TV 2?0