ATV2 - XBMC Crashes with large .mkv files
davilla Wrote:Sep 4 17:06:34 Apple-TV AppleTV[27]: AppleTV(27,0xcc6b000) malloc: *** error for object 0xca67000: pointer being freed was not allocated\n*** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug
Sep 4 17:06:34 Apple-TV com.apple.frontrow[27]: AppleTV(27,0xcc6b000) malloc: *** error for object 0xca67000: pointer being freed was not allocated
Sep 4 17:06:34 Apple-TV com.apple.frontrow[27]: *** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug
Sep 4 17:06:35 Apple-TV ReportCrash[79]: Formulating crash report for process AppleTV[27]

00:06:31 T:175210496 NOTICE: CDVDVideoCodecFFmpeg::Open() Using codec: MPEG-2 video

00:06:31 T:214347776 DEBUG: OutputPicture - change configuration. 720x405. framerate: 29.97. format: YV12

Something is being free'ed that was not allocated, 0xca67000 looks like a valid address.

But is was not an MKV, it was an mpeg.

00:06:27 T:145199104 DEBUG: CPlayerCoreFactory::GetPlayers(http://REMOVED/mymedia-REMOVED/1-mymedia-REMOVED.mpg)

Yeah I saw that..I'm not too familiar with the workings of MKVs..but I thought MKVs were just containers for another file format like mpgs. All my MKVs that crash list as mpgs according to the log. I don't think I have any MKVs that are straight up MKVs..thought that wasn't possible..thought it was just a container.

If you look at the MediaInfo file though it does state that it is a Matorska/MKV file.
Also..not sure if it's relevant..but I am streaming them from a PlayOn server running on my PC as a UPNP server.

http://www.playon.tv

..I've always done it this way though. Not sure if it's relevant.
Looks like PlayOn is transcoding then.

Your mediainfo dump says clearly says it's an h264, 1280 x720, 23.976 fps while xbmc says it's mpeg2, 720x405, 29.97 fps. Plus the filenames don't match.

XBMC uses VideoToolBox hardware decoder for h264, while mpeg2 is software decoded.
davilla Wrote:Looks like PlayOn is transcoding then.

Your mediainfo dump says clearly says it's an h264, 1280 x720, 23.976 fps while xbmc says it's mpeg2, 720x405, 29.97 fps. Plus the filenames don't match.

XBMC uses VideoToolBox hardware decoder for h264, while mpeg2 is software decoded.

Oh sorry..must have grabbed the wrong file then. Filenames I changed for obvious reasons (I do not seriously name my videos "HERPDERP" or "REMOVED")..but all my MKVs don't work anyway so didn't seem like it mattered. I was testing multiple MKVs and was clearing logs so it was easier to go through so some stuff didn't match. I can pull the mediainfo for the actual file..but doubt it will matter.

I'll see if it's transcoding anything since any updates but why would this cause it to crash anyway? I haven't had the issue before.
Hallo again,

can somebody help me please? (Post on Page 6).
Thank you

DasMoritz Wrote:Good evening,

I think I have the same problem with large mkv files.
If I'm playing large MKV Files the ATV 2 crashed after a few minutes.
I tried several options like the "subtitles" etc. but i have still the same problem.
Unfortunately this only happens with one mkv file - other files (same codec etc.) works fine.

This is my system:
Apple TV 2 - FW 4.3 (2557)
XBMC: Pre 11.0 Git Compiled Jun 23. 2011
Connection to PC: Ethernet 100 Mbit Sharings with SMB.

Attached you will find my xbmc.log - I hope you can help me.
My xbmc.log http://pastebin.com/mVjCF6Wy

Thank you very much!

Edit:
I think i have the solution...
i've just installed the last nightly bild updtae with putty (ssh) and the rm -rf commands...
Now everything works fine...

I will just delete the subtitle track... it's always displayed...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ATV2 - XBMC Crashes with large .mkv files0