Occasional lack of sound on Dell Studio Hybrid
Question 
Once in a while, there is no sound over HDMI when I start XBMC. No menu sounds, no sound from playing movies, mp3s, nothing. Running the in-built mixer add-on does not help. Alsamixer from terminal shows everything is unmuted.

Machine: Dell Studio Hybrid 140G. Dual boot into Linux or Win 7. Never observed sound issues in Windows.
XBMC version: 10.0, installed to HDD from Live CD. I had the same problem with 9.11 and Dharma betas installed from Live.

One or more reboots are so far my only 'solution' to the problem. I have never experienced the sound muting after a successful boot with sound, ie. while watching a movie / listening to music. Looks like a boot/startup issue to me.

Here comes the odd part: I have tried to direct white noise to the HDMI port from a terminal command after an XBMC boot without sound, and that worked. In other words: The OS is fine with HDMI output, which indicates that XBMC is the culprit.

I am no stranger to Linux, but not a superuser either. I would really appreciate your help on how to debug / solve this issue, especially as it only happens occasionally. Please let me know if / what further information is needed.

Thanks,

/Jens
I have same issue... My Hybrid Had bliped since I got.. It does it on windows or XBMC however only Audio though HDMI, Headphone Audio Fine...

I read once to get a switcher (HDMI) and it would stop the graphics chip from going to las-la LAnd when the input is switched away.. however this didnt solve issue...

I am thinking its in the GMA 3100- Hate to say this cause it is the one thing that would stop usage of this device.

I am using

Dell 140G/2.1 DuoCore 1 GB Ram/120Gb HD

Boots directly to XBMC install

If others have intemate experience let me know...
I have discovered a weird thing, though. At one point, I changed to a lower default screen resolution in Ubuntu. After that, I have seen that every time the sound is missing, the screen resolution has reverted to the original (high) resolution. After rebooting, the sound comes back if the screen resolution is back to the 'new' setting / the low resolution.

This would indicate to me that the sound issue could a problem with a startup script / missing user profile or something of a more general character, which also affects screen resolution. Any inputs on how to troubleshoot this?

Best regards,

/Jens

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Occasional lack of sound on Dell Studio Hybrid0