• 18(current)
[REL] PleXBMC
Hi Hippojay,

Thanks for this great plugin for XBMC, it's just amazing what I can do with it on my raspberry pi.

I have just a little problem with subtitles.
When a TV episode or movie is playing, the wrong subtitle is played and it's not possible to change it because not all the external srt files are listed in the menu "Audio & Subtitles".

However, if I'm calling the context menu from the list of episodes or movies, choose "Select Subtitle", all my external srt files are listed, if I force one of these subtitles, it doesn't do anything to the current episode playing, it's still the wrong subtitle which is displayed. Same thing happened, if I force the subtitle with the "Select subtitle", before watching the movie or episode.

Thanks for your help.
(2013-02-03, 18:05)tilion Wrote: Hi Hippojay,

Thanks for this great plugin for XBMC, it's just amazing what I can do with it on my raspberry pi.

I have just a little problem with subtitles.
When a TV episode or movie is playing, the wrong subtitle is played and it's not possible to change it because not all the external srt files are listed in the menu "Audio & Subtitles".

All available external files won't be shown after you've started play back - as they are only available from the media server they aren't detected by XBMC.

Quote:However, if I'm calling the context menu from the list of episodes or movies, choose "Select Subtitle", all my external srt files are listed, if I force one of these subtitles, it doesn't do anything to the current episode playing, it's still the wrong subtitle which is displayed. Same thing happened, if I force the subtitle with the "Select subtitle", before watching the movie or episode.

Hmm, that should work. It might be that the setting isn't being taken. When you choose "Select subtitle" one of them should have a * next to it. This is the currently selected subtitle/audio, using data from teh media server. If you then select a different stream, and go back into "select subtitle" that new stream should now be the one showing a *. If not, then the setting isn't being saved by the media server.

Are you calling this server remotely (i.e. over the internet/myplex) or locally? It might be that some authentication tokens aren't being passed correctly.

Add-on:PleXBMC (wiki) - Play Plex media through XBMC
PleXBMC Helper - Integrate Official/Unoffical Plex remote control apps into PleXBMC
PleXBMC Repository - install and manage all PleXBMC addons
Quartz3 PleXBMC - Integrate PleXBMC into home menus
(2013-02-02, 22:14)Arkitket Wrote: Also, with the new PleXBMC version is there anyway to have it only show unwatched flags instead of the watched checkmarks on everything?

Are you talking about the confluence skin? if so, then I've had to change a few things for Frodo compatibility, to reduce maintenance and increase support on all skins. In Frodo, XBMC has started making internal decisions about what flag to place next to each item, based on some metadata. Unfortunately this meant that the previous way of managing flags didn't always work.

So for Frodo, I've had to release more control back to XBMC. On the plus side, media flags and watched flags are correct, show in all skins and resume starts quicker and smoother. On the downside, you are stuck with skin style flags (so for Confluence, this is a tick on watched items) - I also think this is teh wrong way of doing things - but it's incredible hard for me to make it work now (and means modifying the skin).

Other horizontal menu skins may do different watch marks - I know that Quartz Reloaded shows flags for unwatched rather than watched shows.
PleXBMC Helper - Integrate Official/Unoffical Plex remote control apps into PleXBMC
Just wondered, is there any way to get TV themes working in PleXBMC?
Is anyone else not able to get to the Quartz V3 PleXBMC 0.7.4? I can't get to it via the link or in the repository. Says that the link is bad.
(2013-02-04, 16:09)hippojay Wrote:
(2013-02-02, 22:14)Arkitket Wrote: Also, with the new PleXBMC version is there anyway to have it only show unwatched flags instead of the watched checkmarks on everything?

Are you talking about the confluence skin? if so, then I've had to change a few things for Frodo compatibility, to reduce maintenance and increase support on all skins. In Frodo, XBMC has started making internal decisions about what flag to place next to each item, based on some metadata. Unfortunately this meant that the previous way of managing flags didn't always work.

So for Frodo, I've had to release more control back to XBMC. On the plus side, media flags and watched flags are correct, show in all skins and resume starts quicker and smoother. On the downside, you are stuck with skin style flags (so for Confluence, this is a tick on watched items) - I also think this is teh wrong way of doing things - but it's incredible hard for me to make it work now (and means modifying the skin).

Other horizontal menu skins may do different watch marks - I know that Quartz Reloaded shows flags for unwatched rather than watched shows.

Using Aeon Nox actually. Was using the Aeon Nox PleXBMC modified skin, but it was acting weird after I updated to Frodo so I went with Aeon Nox 4 instead. Not a big fan of the Quartz PleXBMC skin, which seems to be the only modded supported skin at the momment.

Also, ran into something else, that I am not sure if it is something I can fix myself, or a quirk with PleXBMC and a regular skin. In Aeon Nox 4, on any banner view (episode or bannerplex for instance), the banners do not show up, instead a default banner shows. This default banner is simply a banner sized crop of the fan art with white lettering centered for the show name. I use Ember Media Manager to download the artwork/banners/posters etc as well as the metadata. I have tried changing the show poster to a banner in EMM, as well as in PMS, but the skin still does not recognize it. I am not sure what the file needs to be named to be picked up as a banner.

Artwork Downloader can download banners that XBMC and Aeon Nox will recognize, but that addon will only recognize local libraries, and using PleXBMC the libraries are not local so the addon doesn't download anything.
(2013-02-04, 15:32)hippojay Wrote: Are you calling this server remotely (i.e. over the internet/myplex) or locally? It might be that some authentication tokens aren't being passed correctly.

I'm calling my server locally.

I was diving in your frodo repository and found that plexbmc can handle only one external srt file, and always the last one parse in the xml provided by plex (getAudioSubtitlesMedia method). I will send you a pull request after my lunck break so PleXbmc can handle several external srt files. I'm just wondering how to retrieve the selection made in "Select Subtitle".

(2013-02-05, 06:33)Arkitket Wrote: Using Aeon Nox actually. Was using the Aeon Nox PleXBMC modified skin, but it was acting weird after I updated to Frodo so I went with Aeon Nox 4 instead. Not a big fan of the Quartz PleXBMC skin, which seems to be the only modded supported skin at the momment.

Ahh - unfortunately I use the skin style - so if Aeon Nox uses ticks for watched, then thats what PleXBMC uses. It might be possible to change the name of the icons used in teh skin file, so you get the desired effect. I'll have a look later for you.

[quote
Also, ran into something else, that I am not sure if it is something I can fix myself, or a quirk with PleXBMC and a regular skin. In Aeon Nox 4, on any banner view (episode or bannerplex for instance), the banners do not show up, instead a default banner shows. This default banner is simply a banner sized crop of the fan art with white lettering centered for the show name. I use Ember Media Manager to download the artwork/banners/posters etc as well as the metadata. I have tried changing the show poster to a banner in EMM, as well as in PMS, but the skin still does not recognize it. I am not sure what the file needs to be named to be picked up as a banner.

Artwork Downloader can download banners that XBMC and Aeon Nox will recognize, but that addon will only recognize local libraries, and using PleXBMC the libraries are not local so the addon doesn't download anything.
[/quote]

Unfortunately (again) XBMC doesn't have a way for me to add art that then gets flagged as banners ( listitem.art(banner) ). I can do it with a custom method, but this means skin modifications.

(2013-02-05, 10:41)tilion Wrote: I was diving in your frodo repository and found that plexbmc can handle only one external srt file, and always the last one parse in the xml provided by plex (getAudioSubtitlesMedia method). I will send you a pull request after my lunck break so PleXbmc can handle several external srt files. I'm just wondering how to retrieve the selection made in "Select Subtitle".

OK - i think I see what you are looking at. The (possibly incorrect) assumption I've made here is that there will be only one external sub file. Hmm, in fact the logic there isn't very good at all.

(2013-02-04, 20:33)Deano316 Wrote: Just wondered, is there any way to get TV themes working in PleXBMC?

I started working on that a while back - based on what the TV tunes addon did - but it was getting messy. I may revisit it later though (either a custom script, or look to see if i can use tvtunes to do it)

(2013-02-04, 22:52)sparklemotion Wrote: Is anyone else not able to get to the Quartz V3 PleXBMC 0.7.4? I can't get to it via the link or in the repository. Says that the link is bad.

Not sure what the issue was, as I could access them - but I have moved them anyway to the correct file download location on googlecode. They should be good to go now.

Thanks for the reply HippoJay, I'll see if I can find some sort of workaround to get banners working again.

I did find another quirk though (not sure if it's been brought up before), but when I go into PleXBMC configuration in XBMC and set flatten TV Shows to only one season, once I back out of the settings it resets to off every time.
(2013-02-06, 08:57)Arkitket Wrote: I did find another quirk though (not sure if it's been brought up before), but when I go into PleXBMC configuration in XBMC and set flatten TV Shows to only one season, once I back out of the settings it resets to off every time.

Daft question - but you are making sure you save the settings by selecting "OK"? Addons settings aren't like the XBMC system settings, and don't automatically saved when changed (it's an XBMC thing)

(2013-02-07, 23:02)hippojay Wrote:
(2013-02-06, 08:57)Arkitket Wrote: I did find another quirk though (not sure if it's been brought up before), but when I go into PleXBMC configuration in XBMC and set flatten TV Shows to only one season, once I back out of the settings it resets to off every time.

Daft question - but you are making sure you save the settings by selecting "OK"? Addons settings aren't like the XBMC system settings, and don't automatically saved when changed (it's an XBMC thing)

Not daft at all, actually that was exactly what I was missing. Wasn't aware that I had to push right and select OK to save the settings. Thanks, working now Big Grin
(2013-02-06, 01:45)hippojay Wrote:
(2013-02-05, 10:41)tilion Wrote: I was diving in your frodo repository and found that plexbmc can handle only one external srt file, and always the last one parse in the xml provided by plex (getAudioSubtitlesMedia method). I will send you a pull request after my lunck break so PleXbmc can handle several external srt files. I'm just wondering how to retrieve the selection made in "Select Subtitle".

OK - i think I see what you are looking at. The (possibly incorrect) assumption I've made here is that there will be only one external sub file. Hmm, in fact the logic there isn't very good at all.

Sorry, I was pretty late with my pull request. I've just had a condition to select the external srt files selected in plex. It's quite ugly but it works for me.

have now moved to a osx server and once again everything works perfectly externally with ever other client i test but with the addin i get the same problem, can get the root folders then 'working' then nothing it just keeps showing the root folders, please help, im thinking its a timeout issue, as if i use the pi at work on the lan and refer to the external address of the server it works but as soon as i try it externally nothing the same error is given, help please

Just wanted to post back here to thank you for this wonderful plug-in. I wanted to share how I envision using it, in case anyone else has a similar use case...

I've been doing some testing over the last day or so and am kind of liking the idea of this total approach:
- Windows Media Center (WMC), WTV-MetaRenamer, Plex Media Server (PMS), and the Ceton My Media Center server component, all running on a central computer. This computer would also be a client running XBMC Eden (with the PleXBMC plug-in), and you could use (if you want to) the WMC front-end for a more robust/true live TV / Electronic Program Guide (EPG) surfing / series management UI.
- Low-power, but fully capable, client computers (e.g., my Acer Revo 1600) running XBMC Eden w/PleXBMC plug-in.
- Smartphone/tablet running Ceton's My Media Center app for EPG / series management. In my case, I've been testing this out on my iPhone 5, but they also offer Android and Windows Phone versions.
- Smartphone/tablet running Plex client app for on-the-go playback of your content (but not Live TV due to the "bug" detailed below).

The reason for using XBMC Eden (v11.0, vs the latest XBMC Frodo v12.0) is because, thanks to a tip from someone in the Plex forums, I've discovered that XBMC Eden will let me play WMC .wtv TV recordings that are *still in progress* without interruption. Whereas, w/XBMC Frodo, if I've set up a show to record 5 minutes ago, when I go to play it in XBMC, the time/status bar will indicate a total runtime of 5 minutes and it won't keep it accurate while playing (even though WMC is still recording the show continuously), so when I hit the end of that 5 minutes, XBMC will stop playing it, and I'd need to select it and start playing it again (at which point, the time/status bar will indicate a total runtime of 10 minutes - so I'd hit this annoyance again). Note: this "bug" also impacts the current Plex client apps.

I'm very, very excited about the prospects of this total solution, but I have run into one major issue, which is that there seems to be some sort of conflict with running XBMC Eden on my central computer while WMC and the Ceton My Media Center server component run in the background. I'm hoping to get to to the bottom of this. This would be a non-issue if you wanted to set up a headless WMC/PMS server, but it seems like a waste to not have that central computer serve double-duty as both a server and client. Once I [hopefully] resolve this and fine-tune things further, I may start up a new thread in the near future to provide all of the necessary details/links for getting this working. IMO, it would offer a very workable solution for setting up a multi-room WMC setup with low-power HTPCs and ATVs acting as WMC "extenders".
Quick update with some questions...

PleXBMC Helper doesn't always seem to be working for me in terms of having my XBMC client show up as an available destination in my iPhone Plex app. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

I love the look of the Quartz skin, but it seems like if I "go Plex", I lose any access to XBMC plug-ins. Is this correct? So, to use any XBMC plug-ins, I have to then "go XBMC" to access them. I'm guessing this is something I'll need to request of the Quartz devs, but it would be nice if the XBMC plug-ins could show up under the Channels section or something.
  • 18(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[REL] PleXBMC3