• 1(current)
Voice recognition and control?, just basic!
since touchscreens are not supported and there is no plan to support them would it be possible to implement basic voice commands.

such as "next" "back" "stop" "play"

there has to be some sort of feature that makes it very easy to access those four commands.

as i stated before i need some sort of way to control the media center in a car very easily... is there some way we can assign keyboard keys to those commands?? or some other buttons??

there has to be something!!

check out what i found on slash dot.... there working on it now: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/01/19/ipod_listens/
i believe the xdk has voice recognition capabilities. unless i am mistaken, this shouldn't be too hard to implement. bluecell (unofficial dev) and i were talking about voice activated shortcuts for basic functionality and menu navigation, but haven't gone any further than discussion with it. hopefully somebody will pick this idea up because the speechrecognition program i tested worked a treat, and i believe an alternative navigation method like this would help to further diversify xbmc. there has been a few people debate that it would take too many resources because it would have to always be waiting on a command, however, bluecell and i disagree because you can make it active when x db are reached so it will only be active when you give it a command, thus, not using very many resources at all.
that's a great idea...i really hope someone runs with this idea
hello from barcelona!
lot of people are using your amazing xbmc as a always on default xbox environment, like me.
few days ago, i bought a microphone to play some games, and i thoungh:
it could be usefull to handle xmbc with voice commands!!! in german, english... and spanish, of course!!
as an example, i have sonyericcson p900, and it handles voice in a very good way (you can copy the way to do it): it waits a "magic word", and then tryies to interprent the next word. the words are trained by user, and asigned to an action.

regards!

joan.
how bout adding voice command support, the code is in the xdk so shouldnt take to long to add
read the xbmc online-manual, faq and search the forums before posting! do not e-mail the xbmc-team asking for support!
read/follow the forum rules! note! team-xbmc never have and never will host or distribute ms-xdk binaries/executables!
actually, come to think of it, it might be a little more difficult than just adding the code to make it work for everyone since there is such a vast array of people using xbmc, just seems like it would have to have the voice commands updated for every country as well...
-los93sol
voice recognition works well, in theory only. the technology is not advanced enough to enable accurate commands without tons of training and even that is dubious at best. i've worked with it for a few years using $300 microphones and such and it still is not very good. background noise, a cold, etc changes everything!

anyway, i'd much rather see efforts go into supporting touchscreens... maybe via a client that can sent the video output from the xbox to a pc over the network or a fully functional web interface that is an on-the-fly duplicate of the screen.

this would be much easier, and universal to everyone to use.

wait about 5 years before voice recognition will get good enough to use.
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
apparently you havent tried the voice recognition in the xdk...you can say the commands funny and it will recognize it properly, no training necessary Smile
i'm thinking the xdk would not have any better technology then the microsoft vr technology before the .net was released... this is what i've been using. it does work fine in a quiet environment with "easy" words but not good for much else. definitely not reliable (possibly not usable) with music, movies, or in a room with people conversing.

i'm just saying, i've used ms vr technology a lot in "real life" situations... it is not reliable.
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
try it in the xdk then say its iffy, i have tested it in different environments, works fine in normal environments, if you have extreme background noise it doesn't work so well, but even with my stereo playing in the background a few feet away at a reasonable volume didn't cause any issues when testing.
the xdk sample works great, n u can use to to create voice banks for loads of lang's. so just make one n have a option to set the lang in settings
read the xbmc online-manual, faq and search the forums before posting! do not e-mail the xbmc-team asking for support!
read/follow the forum rules! note! team-xbmc never have and never will host or distribute ms-xdk binaries/executables!
Hi, I would like to know if it would be possible to implement a speech recognition system in XBMC for basic commands like play, pause, stop, etc... I think it could be a great feature because the Xbox has all the hardware necessary with the communicator and the headset.

I don't know if it can be done on the software side but I guess it's possible since games like Karaoke revolution and N.U.D.E. exists and use speech recognition. Anyway please consider this feature. I'm using XBMC on a xbox in my car and it would be so nice to simply say pause when I receive a call or any oher function that can done with this!!!
You will be better off getting a voice recognition remote control.
I see this thread is out dated but I recently got into voice commands and thought I would bring it up with the community.

I have voice commands working perfectly in XBMC with my logitech mic & Dragon Natuaraly Speaking. My remote is almost obsolete. I had to make a custom key map (which was not hard), but I have a few troubles with shared words and phrases that I working out.

I am just wondering if anyone else is stepping into these waters and has a better method or program.

I am happy to share what I know with anyone because it is quite impressive to sit on your couch and say "Info" and movie info pops up. Or "Play" Pause" and all basic commands. "Update Video" will launch my scan. Just saying lauch XBMC will start XBMC flawlessly.
This sounds really cool. I presume your using windows and 'naturally speaking' is some kind of voice recognition software?
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Voice recognition and control?, just basic!2