apple TV 2 NAS Streaming with xmbc
Hi!

I Jailbreak my atv2 and habe installed xmbc. I add my synology NAS DS110j with SMB. I activate SMB in the menu of the NAS.

But in the xmbc video section i can´t add something. I see the folders of the nas only in upnp mode but no content. With SMB as choice i don´t see my nas.

What´s wrong?
Nightz Wrote:Hi!

I Jailbreak my atv2 and habe installed XBMC. I add my synology NAS DS110j with SMB. I activate SMB in the menu of the NAS.

But in the XBMC video section i can´t add something. I see the folders of the nas only in upnp mode but no content. With SMB as choice i don´t see my nas.

What´s wrong?

Add source > Browse > Add network location add the IP of your Synology, the shared folder and the correct credentials. Only problem I encountered is that the ATV doesn't resolve the hostname of my nas, had to use the ip-address.
Arctic MC001 + Openelec
Could you post an example? It doesn´t work and i don´t know if my input is correct
Nightz Wrote:Could you post an example? It doesn´t work and i don´t know if my input is correct

What error message do you get ? Just browse > add network source > select SMB and you're set.

The source should look like smb://user: [email protected]/movies (for example) Did you read the Wiki ?
Arctic MC001 + Openelec
i use the nas in my own network

example SMB://admin:[email protected]/Video
This works great on my internal network, but I'm wondering how well it will work over remote wifi. Has anyone tried this yet?
If i type like my example, he only show Smb://10.0.1.120/Video and find nothing
Nightz Wrote:If i type like my example, he only show Smb://10.0.1.120/Video and find nothing

That is what the created source looks like, not what you type. Add network source and select smb as the protocol, enter the server's IP-address and the user/password (if any) and the shared folder name. (you have created a shared folder on your nas ?).
Arctic MC001 + Openelec
yes the video folder is shared. i can stream with upnp to my PS3.
Actually Nightz, I had the same issue when trying to add the share through the XBMC interface. What worked for me, was SSHing in and manually editing the sources.xml file, located at this path:

/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC/userdata/sources.xml

Then I was able to create an entry with the username and password embedded, and it opens fine locally. The entry looks like this:

<source>
<name>MyShareName</name>
<path pathversion="1">smb://username:password@externalIPaddress/Video/</path>
</source>

The issue I'm having is that I'm unable to connect when outside my local network. I'm using the external IP, and have port forwarding correctly actived to the internal IP, but still nada. If I'm on my local network, it works fine, which makes me suspect that my ISP (Comcast) may be blocking the ports. But even if I switch external ports, I haven't been able to get through via remote wifi.
I work with Dyndns.

But it also have to run with the internal ips?!
It didn´t works!

Leider geht es nicht. Habe es auch mal am Mac mit XBMC versucht: Hier mal mein Versuch

Why are you enter the full path (smb://etc etc). Just enter the server, the shared folder name and user/password. I have the exact same setup and it works flawless. Btw: what's with the WINS stuff ?
Arctic MC001 + Openelec
piotr is right:

You don't put in all info at once...

When trying to join a network these are the steps (not perfect, because I am not sitting in front of the xbmc right now):

1. select "search" (suchen) in the "add source" tab.
2. go down to "add network source" or similar (netzwerkfreigabe hinzufügen)
3. in the "server name" tab put ONLY the IP-Adress (there is a button for that saying "IP Adress".
4. In the next box called "share" you put the shared volume (I think in your case it is "video" (Freigabe).
5. Then username and
6. Password.

Don't touch anything other than that.

7. You are good to go.

(Worked flawlessly either on the ATV2 and the Mac with the synology Ds410j)

You don't need to play with the WINS servers or anything in your Synology Assistant network as long as you have the ATV get the IP through DNS or you are sure you use the same IP-Adress room and the right DNS adresses.

PS: please consider not writing german in an english forum. People reading this won't understand and ask the same questions over and over again. (vielen Dank).
Thanks.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
apple TV 2 NAS Streaming with xmbc0