[AppleTV2] Constant Buffering on 720p MKV - Wireless Question
rflores2323 Wrote:can anyone explain how to get a ftp server up and configured on atv2. thanks

Have you tried connecting using sftp rather than ftp (user: root, pass: alpine)? If you're trying to watch video over ftp I think most folks here are running the filezilla server on their computers and using the atv2 as an ftp client... so you don't need to setup an ftp server on the atv2 if that's what you want to do.

If you're sure you want an ftp server running on the atv2, you can install one with "apt-get install vsftpd" and configure it in /etc/vsftpd.conf. Haven't tested in thoroughly myself but it installed fine, it starts with "/usr/sbin/vsftpd &" but you'll need to create directory /usr/share/empty first.

Looks like openssh's sshd is what's listening for sftp connections and launching sftp-server so you'd need vsftpd for regular ftp connections to your atv2 I believe. Config is /etc/ssh/sshd_config.
I also have this problem and have a solution.

I have some 720p and 1080p mkv videos (about 4GB-8GB in size and 1.5-2 hours in vid length). These were buffering/pausing/skipping on my wifi AppleTV2 with XBMC, but not on my wired one.

I have tried connecting my atv2 to a linksys wrt54g 802.11g and to a d-link dap-2553 802.11n (5ghz). Both connections have the same issue.

Then I decided to try and bridge a wireless connection to my atv lan port instead of having the atv connect directly to the wireless...THIS WORKED GREAT.

What I did as a test was take my laptop and bridge the Wireless and Local Ethernet networks. Then I connected my laptop to the WRT54G wireless network (it doesnt have N). Then I plugged in my laptops ethernet port to the atv2 ethernet port with a crossover cable. I was able to stream all my videos without this 'buffering' issue.

So I am ordering an 802.11n bridge (probably WRT160N) and going to have my atv2 connected via bridge.

If you want to test this out before buying a dedicated bridge just use a laptop like I did.... It worked fine over 802.11g...so I am assuming 802.11n @ 5GHz would be fine too.

Also, I upgraded to 11.0b, but still had this problem until I connected via wireless->wired bridge.
rdub1a4 Wrote:I also have this problem and have a solution.

I have some 720p and 1080p mkv videos (about 4GB-8GB in size and 1.5-2 hours in vid length). These were buffering/pausing/skipping on my wifi AppleTV2 with XBMC, but not on my wired one.

I have tried connecting my atv2 to a linksys wrt54g 802.11g and to a d-link dap-2553 802.11n (5ghz). Both connections have the same issue.

Then I decided to try and bridge a wireless connection to my atv lan port instead of having the atv connect directly to the wireless...THIS WORKED GREAT.

What I did as a test was take my laptop and bridge the Wireless and Local Ethernet networks. Then I connected my laptop to the WRT54G wireless network (it doesnt have N). Then I plugged in my laptops ethernet port to the atv2 ethernet port with a crossover cable. I was able to stream all my videos without this 'buffering' issue.

So I am ordering an 802.11n bridge (probably WRT160N) and going to have my atv2 connected via bridge.

If you want to test this out before buying a dedicated bridge just use a laptop like I did.... It worked fine over 802.11g...so I am assuming 802.11n @ 5GHz would be fine too.

Also, I upgraded to 11.0b, but still had this problem until I connected via wireless->wired bridge.

I am using the asus RT n12 in a repeater mode and atv2 is connected to the ethernet port. My house layout is such that the ATV2 is furthest away from the router. So this RT N12 as a repeater definitely helped.

On a separate note, I have stopped ripping files into 1080p. I read on the XBMC wiki that atv2 will play 1080p videos, but the output will be still in 720p. So if buffering is an issue, you should keep all the vids at 720p. However to future proof you should probably have the 1080p vids as well.
you guys with buffering problem should try the sept 16th nightly build. Some one was gracious enough to post the link to the build for me in the thread i started. I guarantee you that your buffering issue will go away. look for the link in the thread i recently started.
dopechess Wrote:you guys with buffering problem should try the sept 16th nightly build. Some one was gracious enough to post the link to the build for me in the thread i started. I guarantee you that your buffering issue will go away. look for the link in the thread i recently started.

Enjoy 3 months worth of other bugs. The point of using beta software is to find and fix the bugs so the final version doesn't have these problems.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV2] Constant Buffering on 720p MKV - Wireless Question0