How to change default player to dsplayer?
I am trying to have xbmc use the dsplayer as my default; however, I must be doing something wrong.

In the c:\users\xxxxx\appdata\roaming\xbmc folder, I created an advancedsettings.xml file that has the following code:

<advancedsettings>
<video>
<defaultplayer>dsplayer</defaultplayer>
</video>
</advancedsettings>

However, xbmc still has the dvdplayer as the default player. What am I doing wrong?
What version of XBMC have you installed? There is a special DSPlayer build of XBMC; the normal XBMC does not have DSPlayer included.

JR
I am pretty sure I installed the special one with dsplayer built in.

I believe I have XBMC PRE=10.5 r33619 (Compiled Sept 8, 2010)

I found this in the system settings tab, not sure if that is the right place or not.
2 things

Did you download a DSPlayer build - the branch is not available from Dharma and
You are aware that DSPlayer is no longer being developed?

EDIT

Damn Mr Rennie beat me to it.

Just noticed your advanced settings xml should be placed in the Userdata folder, not the XBMC folder - drill down one folder level.

c:\users\xxxxx\appdata\roaming\xbmc\USERDATA
That did the trick, thanks!
If you are set on using a DSPlayer build - you did notice that it is no longer being developed - check out the DSPlayer User thread, there is a newer more stable build in the first post.
I am using it until the devs develop HD audio with the built in player.

Or, is there a way to tell XMBC to use windows media player classic as my player?
Certainly not putting you off using it, the newer build I refer to is actually very stable, just not being developed anymore.

Yes you can use any player. Try a search for External Players, both here and (particularly in the wiki) for further information.
Thanks for the info. I may pursue using th wmpc as my player, as I believe I can get my subtitles to work the way I want with that method (worked perfectly using mediabrowser in wmc, but a little flaky with xbmc).
dzirkelb: I created an advancedsettings.xml file...
Could you please tell me how did you created advancedsettings.xml? And will it be enough to write in the file only this:
<advancedsettings>
<video>
<defaultplayer>dsplayer</defaultplayer>
</video>
</advancedsettings>

thanks in advance

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to change default player to dsplayer?0