AC3 Passthrough Fails - Full log etc attached
Have tested an ac3 movie using firecore's 'media player' with the same outcome, sony amp shows up dd5.1 but no sound, must be an atv2 hardware issue and so is not an XBMC issue as such. Again dts played fine.

As for a work around, is a there a linux type prog like the one pc's use to output via optical on some motherboards etc?

Newer sony amps have more setting to do with optical inputs so dont have this issue.

I fully understand we are in the minority here with the older sony amps and that a fix is not really expected still i live in hope Wink

All we can really do for now is try and find the DTS versions of some of the movies i guess.
Keep trying and find out what you can. The ATV2 is like an undocumented wilderness, so the more we can learn, then the more we know if something really is a hard limit or not.

Good hunting!
Can the ATV2 send the bitstream flag before/while playing a Video? That would make the recievers "think" it's correct AC3 and switch to that mode.

It's not only old SonyAmps. My Amp doesn't recognize the AC3-Stream from the ATV2 correctly. Old Xbox1 is working fine (same movie).
Philips TV with Kodi 20.2 with IPTV --- Orbsmart 500 Android 21 alpha/beta as Online-radio/TV in the kitchen
Hi Guys, after finally retiring my xbox finally last week I came over to the ATV2. So after jailbreaking, I too had issues with the AC3 pass through.

After much switching of settings, I got it working (almost).

I have a Sony STR-DB840 which is (as far as I know) working great detecting the DTS [3/2] streams (blue light lit above amp) but it will not detect DD [5/1] even though I hear the sound correctly out the amp!!

(Is there a link where I can get speaker test files so I can confirm?)

XBMC Player:
XBMC nightly build 20111203
Installed using instructions from wiki http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...Apple_TV_2

Settings:
Audio Output -> Optical/Coax
Speaker Configuration -> 5.1
Boost level on downmix -> off
AC3 capable -> on
DTS capable - on

ATV2:
ATV2 4.3(2557) jailbroken with seasonpass
ATV Settings:
Dolby Digital -> Auto
Audio Output -> 16bit
HDMI Output -> Auto

File format:
Ripped DVDs with MakeMKV (main film & any English tracks), no compression.

File Server:
WinXP using SMB

AV Amp:
Sony STR-DB840
Direct Optical Input from ATV

TV:
Sony 32EX403 connected via HDMI
This gives the static/bitream noise audio over the built in speakers

If there is any help I can give to finally clinch this bug with the AC3 streams, I'll gladly give.

EDIT:
Have found if I play a 5.1 file from start up, all it seems to play is the rear channels (left & right)onto the front two channels (left & right) but nothing else. The multi-channel led is not lit and no channels shown on amp display. Now if I then play a DTS track all is good, then switch back to a 5.1 track I get all channels played but again no multi-channel led or channels icons on amp display.
Found a similar issue on the boxee forums, seems they got a fix for this bug in may.

http://forums.boxee.tv/showpost.php?p=18...stcount=76

I'm gonna try the "dts first" workaround discussed in the same thread to see if I can get it to play ac3 in 5.1 them...
Ok well have been checking Sony models that have the optical input setting choice of auto or PCM, this is what the older Sony amps are missing.
Anyway the closest match in style is the Sony str-db1080.

Can anyone confirm if ac3 via atv2 is working on this model?

Not a fix I know but if it were to work it may be a solution for some of us, very similar style of amp and a cheap replacement.
I also have problem with AC3 passthrough however I'm running XBMC on Windows7 but with a Sony STR-DB1070 receiver.

It seems that some movies with AC3 work and others don't. The not working ones causes audio stutter and the blue led on front is blinking as it recognize the stream as Dolby Digital and then loses "sync/connection".

Most problem seem to be with 5.1 ac3 @ 640 kbps but as stated earlier some movies with the same audio bitrate works...:confused2:

As for the rest of you DTS is working flawless.

Any news or is this something we have to live with if we have an older Sony receiver? Sad
spitz66 Wrote:I also have problem with AC3 passthrough however I'm running XBMC on Windows7 but with a Sony STR-DB1070 receiver.

It seems that some movies with AC3 work and others don't. The not working ones causes audio stutter and the blue led on front is blinking as it recognize the stream as Dolby Digital and then loses "sync/connection".

Most problem seem to be with 5.1 ac3 @ 640 kbps but as stated earlier some movies with the same audio bitrate works...:confused2:

As for the rest of you DTS is working flawless.

Any news or is this something we have to live with if we have an older Sony receiver? Sad

"however I'm running XBMC on Windows7", I suggest posting in the windows forum area rather than iOS. Audio renderer is different.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AC3 Passthrough Fails - Full log etc attached0