A few newbie questions from a long time MB user
Hi all,

Have decided to take another look at xbmc.

I have it installed on my test machine and have a few questions I'm hoping to get answers to before I go and put it on my actual htpc:

1. I have 1:1 bluray rips in mkv format with the HD audio as FLAC. I see a flac icon on the various skins, so I assume flac should play no problem?

With WMC I have Reclock running to keep the audio and video synced perfectly. I see there is a Sync Playback to display option under the Video settings. Should I turn this option on? Which A/V sync method should I choose?

2. How do trailers for a given movie in your collection work? My file structure from Media Browser is the same as the preferred xbmc structure:

d:\movies\A-Team\movie.mkv
d:\movies\B-Team\movie.mkv
so on and so on.

However, I also have a trailers folder for some movies, so:
d:\movies\A-Team\Trailers\trailer.mov

When xbmc scanned my directory, I selected the trailer option.

It looks like it is not reading my trailers folder for the trailer - as for each trailer I have, xbmc also went and scrapped The Trailer Park Boys cover, fanart, etc. So, if I have 6 trailers for 6 different movies, I also have 6 listings of The Trailer Park boys, with each one playing a different trailer.

I guess the question is: how do trailers for a movie in your collection work? I assume xbmc is streaming them from somewhere? Does it download the trailer after it plays it the first time?

Is there a way I can tell xbmc to ignore the trailers folder, as I'd like to keep it for MB compatibility.

3. Do any of the skins show an End Time for the movie?

4. Is there a way to display (rotate) more than one fan art backdrop for a given movie?

5. Is anyone using MetaBrowser to manage their library? I just used the internal scraper for my test, but I do have a MetaBrowser 2.0. I installed the xbmc plugin and set it to default, but it didn't seem to save anything xbmc related on the movie I selected, processed, and saved. Maybe I am doing something wrong.

I also tried downloading Ember, but I get a - "Error: there is an error in XML document (1,2)." message as soon as the install begins. So I dunno.

Thanks for any input. I've got to say xbmc seems pretty slick and fast. I would have looked at it more thourghly 1.2 years ago when I was building my htpc, but, as I understood it, xbmc didn't support dxva (or at least not very cleanly) at the time.
look at post 206 i think on the ember forum on xbmc to fix the error. I switched from Media Browser and am much happier with the speed.
^ do you mean an Ember sub form on these forums? If so, I can't find it...
All my movies are set up:

d:\movies\movie name\filename.extension
d:\movies\movie name\filename-trailer.extension

This works fine for me.
Quote:1. I have 1:1 bluray rips in mkv format with the HD audio as FLAC. I see a flac icon on the various skins, so I assume flac should play no problem?

Yep.

Quote:4. Is there a way to display (rotate) more than one fan art backdrop for a given movie?

I think the easiest way is to use an extrathumbs folder - but only some skins support it.

Regarding managing your library - I highly recommend using TVRename to put your TV shows in order, and Media Companion for movies.

I recommend Sickbeard/ CouchPotato for an ongoing dynamic solution.
^thx for the info. I only have a few tv shows and I suspect they are named and filed correctly.

I was briefly looking at Media Companion last night. Will take a closer look this evening.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
A few newbie questions from a long time MB user0